Why FSX over FS9?

Max50

Because default fsx looks horrible. Ive had comparisons of my Fs9 to fsx and it was no comparison. Fs9 was so far in front it was no contest. With all the new world textures available, fsx is a joke. And fsx version 2 - p3d - is no different. Same old lame washed out graphics with a lifeless feel.

"... washed out graphics with a lifeless feel"? These comments are simply off the wall and bear no relation whatsoever to my own experience in comparing these programs, which could not be more different. There is a joke here, for sure!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with cobalt. FSX default is better than FS9 default. So many comments I see about how FS9 looks better seem to be comparing FS9 with many add-ons to the default FSX. Sure, your FS9 add-ons might not all work with FSX (many will), and there are many excellent add-ons for FSX, so try comparing apples with apples, instead of comparing apples with marbles, that is, try default FS9 with default FSX, IF you're going to compare.

There's nothing wrong with saying that you prefer FS9 because you can't reuse ALL of the add-ons you have for FS9, but DON'T use that as a basis for comparison of two versions of FS, one enhanced and the other not. After all, when introducing improvements in a new version MANY programs (not just FS) have some degree of backward incompatibility.

I can also understand if there are performance problems (my 2010 machine is far from the latest and greatest), but don't knock FSX just because it's not suitable for YOU -- it goes well for many folks -- so please watch what you compare.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Back in 2010-2011 in Avsim, this kind of thread was always epic.;)

I have been away from flighsimulator for 2 years or so, and last week I watched an FS9 video on YT and frankly, I miss FS9. Tons of tweakings, tons of freeware airports, Airsimmer Airbus rants :D... it is the only sim that allows some of us to set all sliders to the right. If you still have all the files that make your FS9 alive and kickin'...so be it...

Just saying...

http://www.airsimmer.com/pic/asb10.jpg

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=30884

wisnu@runway-aviation

I used to have FSX on my old system but I kept FS9 too. At times I preferred FS9 because you could load it with reams of AI, even put 5M photo scenery into it using FSEarthTiles, which I did for California, and it would just run like butter, with contrails filling the sky when I would fly in the flight levels. But as I got into photo scenery (my free Colorado scenery is available at Avsim, where I used to hang out before I found quite active Facebook sim pages where we share vids and screenshots and do not get into arguments so much) FSX also became a sim of choice, I started flying it more and more on my aging system, because I had it tweaked well and it could run well--without much AI though, AI really choked it.

In 2017 my system with FS9, FSX and some freeware source code I wrote for those programs (Soft Horizons, hosted at Avsim, and Landclass Assistant, Hosted there as well, and finally a FS9 compatible ultralight trike) were all lost.

I still wanted to sim, I realized I had to move up to P3DV4 and Xplane11, because they compliment each other, or I would lose interest in the direction our hobby is going. So I got my current MSI Nightblade, not the fastest kid on the block but by far, not the slowest, and it did not ouch my wallet, lol. I got those two sims and added Aerofly FS2 to my civilian sim mix, which is really the true successor of FS9 and FSX, minus AI, and minus other goodies but so fluid that it makes flying an aircraft feel more like the real thing I've come to enjoy when I rent a 172 with a CFI aboard, just to cruise around the Class B airspace I live in in Arizona, and to get good flying tips and muscle skill tips.

I only fly alone when I sim, I never fly alone in the real world, because at my age, touching upon the golden years, my heart might go yippety yippety someday with the euphoria flying gives me, and someone will need to bring a perfectly good airplane down. It begs the question, which is the best way to go to heaven, making love to someone, or just having fun in whatever peaceful hobby you enjoy the most.

Like most babies, I feel heavenly when I am in a motorcoach or any other form of transport and someone else is doing the driving--lol, that is what we start to crave when we grow old anyway, as I near 60--being rocked to sleep by our mother in the sky--at least for those of us who are not afraid to fly, drive, walk or crawl, lol

"... washed out graphics with a lifeless feel"? These comments are simply off the wall and bear no relation whatsoever to my own experience in comparing these programs, which could not be more different. There is a joke here, for sure!

That’s been the view since it came out almost 14 years ago. Probably before you were born.

Which is why fsx textures in Fs9 look better due to the more earthy feel to the sim that MS completely butchered with fsx.

OMG. I have been plugging along with FSX for years and not realizing what I am missing by not reloading FS9 a couple of computer upgrades ago. This thread upset me so much that I searched through my old software disks to find FS9. I found the FS9 version of Ultimate Terrain and FS Genesis mesh but no FS9 disks. Where do I buy the FS9 sofware? Or do I need to post this on the FS9 forum?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

OMG. I have been plugging along with FSX for years and not realizing what I am missing by not reloading FS9 a couple of computer upgrades ago. This thread upset me so much that I searched through my old software disks to find FS9. I found the FS9 version of Ultimate Terrain and FS Genesis mesh but no FS9 disks. Where do I buy the FS9 sofware? Or do I need to post this on the FS9 forum?

Try eBay. It's getting harder and harder to find. The key is to load it up with good quality modern add-ons. It will run great, look great, you can fly 7 hours with your most intensive add-ons and your flight won't end in an OOM.

It's also rock solid. If you fix any issues related to specific add-ons as many of them have, once that's done, the sim just never crashes. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to deal with a crash or any issues in FS9.

I still have FSX installed, may use it here or there but the gains are so little imo, I'm struggling to see it being worth the effort. As mentioned by a few others, we can all fly whatever sim we prefer. It's good we have choices. Some may love the new MSFS, I already don't like it. If I want to see photos of the world, I can pan around Google Earth.

Edited by Max50

Some may love the new MSFS, I already don't like it. If I want to see photos of the world, I can pan around Google Earth.

You might read Hal Bryan's take on the new sim -- he's had a chance to use it in its current alpha stage:

http://inspire.eaa.org/2019/09/30/an-inside-look-at-microsofts-newest-flight-simulator/

For those who don't recall, Hal was part of the MSFS development team for 10 years or so, until MS dropped it. He's currently working for the EAA.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I watched the video, it truly is amazing, what I thought of also was a lot of these scenery companies like Orbx and others will be out of business, I mean how can beat that?

I read the comments under the video on YouTube and everyone is eager to buy it when it is released.

Col.

Have you checked out the latest footage? It isn't just flat photos of the world.

No, hadn't seen it, thanks. I took a quick look, some elements are good but I also have some concerns from just watching a little here and there. I'll reserve judgement on the new sim till I have it on my PC.

I'm not reluctant to sim change btw. If it comes time for FS9 to go, then it comes time for FS9 to go! haha

No, hadn't seen it, thanks. I took a quick look, some elements are good but I also have some concerns from just watching a little here and there. I'll reserve judgement on the new sim till I have it on my PC.

I'm not reluctant to sim change btw. If it comes time for FS9 to go, then it comes time for FS9 to go! haha

Just watched a little more of the clip. I think it's way too early to suggest anything about the new sim or if that's what it will really be. There are many things to like and not like from the video. I need to watch the entire clip but the clouds for example to me look terrible. They appear blurred/out of focus and the colors/contrast appear overdone. The aircraft lighting doesn't appear to match the environment at times and gives the impression of the aircraft being pasted in to the scene. Looks like popping in and out ground textures haven't been overcome and may be an even bigger problem on low end PC's than they were with FS9 and FSX. Let's not even try to mention what may happen with seasons. These are only a few visual points, haven't started discussing any of the important elements of a flight sim.

Honestly, there just isn't enough information you can take from games until you have them on your own PC.

Edited by Max50

New sim looks great, but then a promo video isn’t enough to judge. They only use the top equipment and some video editing.

Also, I’ve read it’ll be DLC heavy. Plus a monthly subscription fee or something like that.

No thanks.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

New sim looks great, but then a promo video isn’t enough to judge. They only use the top equipment and some video editing.

Also, I’ve read it’ll be DLC heavy. Plus a monthly subscription fee or something like that.

No thanks.

I would suggest watching the interview on the front page here, as well as read many of the articles that have come out in the past couple days, rather than go with what you heard somewhere. Add-ons will available from multiple sources the same way they are now, for example.

That’s been the view since it came out almost 14 years ago. Probably before you were born.

Which is why fsx textures in Fs9 look better due to the more earthy feel to the sim that MS completely butchered with fsx.

Before I was born? Be careful what you say. I have grandkids that may be older than you! Statements such as "That's been the view since it came out..." are arrogant and nonsensical, no doubt intended to impress uninformed readers. I think most participants in this forum are smart enough to make their own judgements.

That’s been the view since it came out almost 14 years ago.

What's been the view -- I'm unable to see what you are talking about. Perhaps your statement would be more meaningful if you gave us more concrete information (perhaps comparison pix or something).

I got FSX when it first came out (and I still have it), and it was a decided improvement over FS9. Were you perhaps comparing FS9 as you had it with all your add-ons to FSX bare bones? Then, and only then, can I concede there was some degree of improvement, but then it would depend on the add-ons.

Basically people saying FSX was worse than FS9 are beating a dead horse if they cannot show us a default to default comparison to prove it.

If all you're saying is that you had performance problems initially when switching, then I can certainly understand that, since FSX prefers a more powerful system, but compare mid-level sliders and settings to mid-level sliders and settings (as an example) for the default features, textures, etc. of each in order to get a proper comparison. Don't give us an "apples-to-oranges" comparison.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Because default fsx looks horrible. Ive had comparisons of my Fs9 to fsx and it was no comparison. Fs9 was so far in front it was no contest. With all the new world textures available, fsx is a joke. And fsx version 2 - p3d - is no different. Same old lame washed out graphics with a lifeless feel.

Microsoft stuffed up big time with fsx and LM bought a dud product to flog. And had taken 2067 updates to make it almost reasonable to consider. Almost.

Fs9 was truly the last of the great flight simulators. Maybe FS2020 will be acceptable. But I can’t see it with the fake gamer crowd to appeal to.

Hi Folks,

Huh ?

LOL - I was a diehard FS9 guy - really no interest in FSX and never used it - I skeptically purchased and setup P3Dv3 and all the usual suspects of addons during a holiday sale period to give it an earnest try - I kept FS9 on my hard drive for two years fully intending to go back and fly my old favorites no matter what happened with P3D - I couldn’t do it - not once - there - is - absolutely - no - going - back - P3D is vastly better than both FS9 and FSX... Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary...

It’s without a doubt - the closest thing that mimics my experience in real cockpits - on a PC...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by scottb613
bJQZKiw.png

It’s without a doubt - the closest thing that mimics my experience in real cockpits - on a PC...

I agree that this is true for FSX. Funny how many FS9 users browse the FSX forum, apparently just to tout how much better FS9 is than FSX. I never look at the FS9 forum threads anymore.

I think that Flight Simulator 2004 was probably the best upgrade of the software ever, and is still an excellent option if hardware capability is a problem. FS 2002, for me, was really a bomb. However, once past the hardware problem, FSX totally outshines FS9 for me. While I look forward to seeing what can be done in 2020, I am totally satisfied with how FSX works for me, even to the extent that I have had no interest in P3D and XPlane.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Basically people saying FSX was worse than FS9 are beating a dead horse if they cannot show us a default to default comparison to prove it.

This is exactly what I am trying to get across, you cannot compare default to default. You need to compare 2019 custom FS2004 to 2019 custom FSX.

This is why I started this thread because running my 2019 FS2004, I cannot see the benefits of using 2019 FSX.

If you haven't used FS2004 in the last 12 months, let alone in the last 6-7 years, you really can't compare because it's these latest add-ons released during this period that really lift FS2004 to a new level. As I mentioned in my earlier post, you can better FS2004 with FSX by using equivalent modern add-ons but not without cost to FPS and VAS with questionable visual gain.

When I weigh it all up, FS2004 is the much more enjoyable sim. It has nothing to do with having a poor PC or being too heavily invested in FS2004 to make the change. I use it because I think it's the better sim, no other reason.

When I weigh it all up, FS2004 is the much more enjoyable sim.

That's certainly a fine way to look at it for you, but that doesn't make it a "better" sim, though it's obviously better for you. That doesn't make it better for everyone, and that includes me. Even if they don't matter to you, there ARE improvements in FSX which matter to me. ORBX doesn't run on FS9, for one thing. There are many others.

But there are all too many posts here saying that FS9 is a better sim than FSX, and that's simply not a true statement. What you are saying is that FS9 with all the add-ons that you have is better for you, and you are the first I've seen in this thread to admit that your comparison includes all those add-ons in FS9, then compare with a default FSX?!?!

For me, P3D goes well beyond FSX and is my personal choice, although FSX is still installed here, for many reasons, including improved performance over FSX on the same machine (it actually uses the video card), cloud shadows, volumetric clouds, and more.

Bye...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I am struck by the number of people who use this FSX forum to proclaim the virtues of other sims and basically trash FSX. Presumably it fills some kind of psychological need, in which case we need to be tolerant and sympathetic. Seems like the best way to deal with it.

I am struck by the number of people who use this FSX forum to proclaim the virtues of other sims and basically trash FSX. Presumably it fills some kind of psychological need, in which case we need to be tolerant and sympathetic. Seems like the best way to deal with it.

Why can't grown adults discuss a couple of games without acting like someone is trying to steal their car or something? lol

Nevermind...FSX is better...