I am looking for a newbie friendly forum for MFSM2020 where questions do get answered

Thanks Larry for your reply. I had a simple question about the GPS 3000 in the TBM 930, and all I wanted to know was if it was a bug or if I was doing it wrong. I wasn't asking anything really stupid.

In the case of the TBM930, if I noted the post at all, I probably would not have read it because I don't have MSFS2020 or know anything about the TBM930 or about the GPS3000. On rare occasions I get curious and might read something like that, but still couldn't answer it unless it turned out to be sufficiently generic that I had an available answer.

Note that the newcomer forum isn't sim specific, so there might be questions there about any sim, or even just about specific details of flying in general, so there are lots of us who peruse that forum and generally only answer posts that are in our area of knowledge. So that might account for a number of reads with few or no answers.

As to friendly, Nels is careful who he chooses as moderators, so flightsim.com remains a fairly friendly place, especially compared to so many other places.

As far as complaints about a sim, you might be surprised how many sim developers peruse this site and sometimes those complaints (if they're truly valid) result eventually in changes to the sim. I know for a fact that was true of Microsoft's ACES team back in the days of FSX and previous sims, and I expect that it still is true today.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I know one thing for sure now, I don't belong here because I am not in the click. I will just limit myself to read the "news" side and the Editorial write ups which I greatly enjoy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

I'm sorry you feel that way and disagree that this forum is any less friendly than others. My post was trying to point that sometimes threads don't go answered for plenty of reasons that don't involve you not being in some clique. As Larry mentions, many of us will read most, if not all, new threads but if we don't know the answer, then we will move on to the next one. And sometimes the people who do know the answer simply don't see your thread because they didn't visit the forum that day and it dropped out of sight before their next visit. Nothing to do with people seeing "SpookyDriver" as the author and saying to themselves "he's not one of us" and ignoring it. I've started threads that got plenty of views but no comments too.

Spookydriver & shb7, thanks for responding:

I have ordered a 23" monitor which has a DP, so I'm set for hardware.

But I'm dismayed by shb7's post, I guess I can't do what I want to do. Not having the instrument panel view available is a real handicap when flying.

So, to make the best of what I have, can I use the second screen to display a map, Skyvector, Google Earth or something like that? Are there any other innovative uses for a second screen?

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Spookydriver & shb7, thanks for responding:

I have ordered a 23" monitor which has a DP, so I'm set for hardware.

But I'm dismayed by shb7's post, I guess I can't do what I want to do. Not having the instrument panel view available is a real handicap when flying.

So, to make the best of what I have, can I use the second screen to display a map, Skyvector, Google Earth or something like that? Are there any other innovative uses for a second screen?

sfojimbo, You can still move any of the panels in your plane's dash that can be detached to the second monitor. I believe you have to hold your ALT key and move your mouse over the panel, for example the GPS, and click on it and then drag it to the second screen. There is even software available that allows you to move those panels onto a tablet (I've done that for testing and it worked.) I have several out of service Android phones that I use as tablets and have them set up above my yoke. I run an app called FS Map tool on one of them that shows my plane over a live Google Map so I know exactly where I am and gives other info such as your speed, heading and altitude. There is also a plugin that does the same on your pc (VFRmap?) that uses Open Maps instead of Google. I use a second phone for flight calculations and a tablet for quick access to Airport and other data.

I know this is more information that you ask, but I figure I can give you some ideas since most people have old cell phones in their homes that could be put back to use.

One last thing, I read somewhere that MSFS will support multiple monitors in the near future, I think it's in their roadmap. Take care.

I'm sorry you feel that way and disagree that this forum is any less friendly than others. My post was trying to point that sometimes threads don't go answered for plenty of reasons that don't involve you not being in some clique. As Larry mentions, many of us will read most, if not all, new threads but if we don't know the answer, then we will move on to the next one. And sometimes the people who do know the answer simply don't see your thread because they didn't visit the forum that day and it dropped out of sight before their next visit. Nothing to do with people seeing "SpookyDriver" as the author and saying to themselves "he's not one of us" and ignoring it. I've started threads that got plenty of views but no comments too.

I think you are right and I am going to press the reset button and try again. Thanks.

I think you are right and I am going to press the reset button and try again. Thanks.

Please do! It certainly be frustrating if you have an issue or question and need help. If your thread hasn't had a reply after a few days you can reply to your own thread to bump it back up to the top. In the meantime, skim through a few pages in the MSFS forum as maybe the question was answered in a thread you didn't see the first time and wasn't found by the forum search feature.

Thanks spookydriver, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The android phone idea sounds a bit crazy but I'll probably try it; I do have an extra phone.

What you've given me is a start for now.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

While we are on this type of topic and I will keep this short as I really don't want to stop answers coming through:

Lurkers! OMG!

I had a guy at AVSIM tell me he likes to lurk but never posts. Said he was making his first post in years because I peeved him off that much.

Now, what an a-hole imo! If we were all lurkers there would be no forum, there would be nothing here to read. I don't care what someone says to me but if it comes from a lurker, um, at least I put something into the place if you like it or not.

A lurker on the other hand does absolutely nothing for the forum or community. He might as well not be here and it's a heck of a nerve to make your one post in years to simply trash someone. Yeah, get stuffed is what I say! lol

End of my rant, just wanted to point it out. Please continue...

Mark Daniels

• 2 years later...

I, for one, will always offer an answer to a question if I know the answer.  But, there is the rub, because in most cases I do not know the answer.  I only fly three types of aircraft so while I know a bit about them,  I know nothing about the myriad other types available in MSFS.  Then there are questions about files and set up and other computer stuff that is so arcane, any advice I offered would be dangerous.   I always view new posts and their replies because there is the possibility of learning something new from other peoples' problems.  Like others, I find it disappointing when, having provided an answer to a query, there is no acknowledgment of the assistance given.  Despite my profile showing I have been on this forum since 2005, I have been here a lot longer than that.  I have found it helpful and a good source of information over that time - and friendly and respectful to what were really basic questions in my early days as a simmer.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

• Founder
10 hours ago, nsproles said:

I, for one, will always offer an answer to a question if I know the answer.  But, there is the rub, because in most cases I do not know the answer.  I only fly three types of aircraft so while I know a bit about them,  I know nothing about the myriad other types available in MSFS.  Then there are questions about files and set up and other computer stuff that is so arcane, any advice I offered would be dangerous.   I always view new posts and their replies because there is the possibility of learning something new from other peoples' problems.  Like others, I find it disappointing when, having provided an answer to a query, there is no acknowledgment of the assistance given.  Despite my profile showing I have been on this forum since 2005, I have been here a lot longer than that.  I have found it helpful and a good source of information over that time - and friendly and respectful to what were really basic questions in my early days as a simmer.

This is exactly why large communities like this are so valuable. Aviation is complicated, and there are many quite different types of aviation, so no one person can know everything. So, having many people who have knowledge in some area is just what is needed.

• Like 1

Ditto! Especially the line "Despite my profile showing I have been on this forum since 2005, I have been here a lot longer than that".

Ah yes! I remember Captain Slarty from the early days of this forum. Hope I don't get a warning point for mentioning his name.

And, one more thing which may have already been mentioned above. I'd rather have no replies to a query than a bunch leading me in the wrong direction.

I always view new posts and their replies because there is the possibility of learning something new from other peoples' problems.

I have found it helpful and a good source of information over that time - and friendly and respectful

Never be afraid to ask ANY question. A vast number of us read every new post, whether it is specific to our version of sim or not. Often it is a cross-version issue (how do you fly and ILS, when should ATC issue a let down from cruise). I read every forum post, ever learning, and offer my opinion and experience where it is appropriate. You have found the best site available for the overall flight sim community.  Welcome, and Have Fun!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

COME ON IN!!  THE WATERS FINE!! 

Everyone I've posted with over a several year period are here because we choose to be.  And we're writing about a hobby we enjoy and many of us have tons of RW hours as well as sim hours. 

Some posters here have used several versions and brand names of flight simulators and have very elaborate "cockpits."  Others are first timers on a laptop or mobile device.  But we're all here by choice, just like you.

Ask away!!  The more detailed your questions or comments are, the better you're understood.  And yes, please enjoy and add to the screenshot forums as well.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I enjoy this forum quite a bit and almost always get help. As for giving help, two things dissaude me from helping others:

1. When someone posts a 2500 word treatise before getting to the actual question.

2. When someone vomits out a question with entitled tone, like we're his highly paid personal tech support. I.e., demanding help, not asking for help.

Other than that, I will always, 100% of the time, guaranteed, help if i can.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

7 hours ago, KiloWatt said:

Other than that, I will always, 100% of the time, guaranteed, help if i can.

LOL - Other than that, having to deal with all kinds of people? Well, that's what happens in forums, all kinds of people coming together, communicating in their own ways, some more effectively and graciously than others, don't you know. Otherwise, it's not really a forum.

5 hours ago, ftldave said:

LOL - Other than that, having to deal with all kinds of people?

In my time here, 95% of the people are a joy to interact with and I like helping where I can, so I'm willing to put a great deal of effort into being as helpful as possible.

In return, is it unreasonable to expect that the person needing help be polite and put a little thought into the post? I know I do.

Regardless, the "having to deal with all kinds of people" is actually not something people generally like to do on a daily basis - most people avoid other people that bug them for whatever reason, much less help them. Online is the same.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide