MSFS 2020 Which method for Install

Hi I am going to buy MSFS 2020, but not sure whether to use disk, download or Steam. I have FSX on Steam but have some niggle problems with it e.g. cleared to land but on touch sad own aircraft taxiing on the runway, atc continually saying my aircraft taxiing and stopping other planes even when there are any. Don’t want this type of problem with the new sim. On the positive side Steam handles the install and all upgrades which is a plus. Disc install, 10 discs! Then how to you get told of upgrades and how do you install them? Same goes for downloads, but how how will it take to download. If anyone ones can help would be very helpful as £109 is quite a bit to spend on the new sim.

Thanks

Andy

If you go for the disc version you will still need to download more content & updates anyway. Also you will be required to keep one of the discs in your drive whenever you want to fly.

So.. you can either download from MS or download via steam (you’re still downloading either way)

If you go for Steam, you will need to have the Steam client running whenever you fly.

I’d buy it & download from Microsoft if I were you.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Buying it digitally from Microsoft store will probably give the devs the larges share of revenue. Steams takes up to 30% of revenue. A lot of the money from disc versions goes towards store profits, disc "production" and distribution. Edited by volpo

Buying it digitally from Microsoft store will probably give the devs the larges share of revenue. Steams takes up to 30% of revenue. A lot of the money from disc versions goes towards store profits, disc "production" and distribution.

Some pretty good points there. More reasons for buying from Microsoft

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi,

I'll be downloading the digital program, but can anyone tell me if I can download it to an external drive connected with USB 3? May seem easy, but I've not installed a FS externally before so I have no idea what problems I may encounter.

Thank you.

If you go for the disc version you will still need to download more content & updates anyway. Also you will be required to keep one of the discs in your drive whenever you want to fly.

So.. you can either download from MS or download via steam (you’re still downloading either way)

If you go for Steam, you will need to have the Steam client running whenever you fly.

I’d buy it & download from Microsoft if I were you.

Regards

Steve

Needing to keep a disk in the drive has not been confirmed.

In fact once installed FSX did not need a disk in the drive either.

I've got the Premium Deluxe disk set on order myself, hoping your right. I noticed a lot of disk set order cancellations when the rumor came out the disk was needed. I kept my order in place. Hopefully enough people with disk sets will complain if true. Even if initially a disk is required, Microsoft could provide a update to eliminate the need for the disk.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

The folks that are selling the DVD version HAVE confirmed that DVD 1 in your DVD drive will be necessary in order to run MSFS. This slows down multiple installs.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

• 2 months later...
I'm not exactly happy with the ridiculous purchase process of this sim. I tried to get the download version, (my computer doesn't have any optical drives, as they are obsolete), When going through the check out process with paypal, there was a very cumbersome back and forth with new windows popping up asking me if I was ready to buy, as I had already entered my paypal info it was obvious, but then when I figured out to go back to the previous window, they asked for my physical address to be associated with my Microsoft account. I live in the Philippines and while there was a country region drop down box, It was greyed out until I chose a US state ??? I think I'm not going to buy this right now, Microsoft has too many requirements in order to just buy the stupid thing. Is there any other way to download this? not Steam that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

• 3 months later...

Don't bother its a POS. Incredibly slow to start & grind through to flying an Aircraft even with a decent MS 'Spec' PC. There are no 2D cockpit displays, no undocking of Displays for multiple monitors, plus the Auto Pilot is useless. Meanwhile MS & their sub contractor keep churning out scenery additions. If you want to fly single engine & admire the eye candy you may enjoy it but not worthy of anything else.

If they had taken the FSX aircraft & cockpit & converted that to 64 bits then added better scenery that would have worked & satisfied everyone.

I can’t say 100% but I don’t think you can do that.You could install it on your work’s computer, as you can install it on as many computers as you wish (only using one at a time though) ... but I don’t think you can transfer it from one computer to another.

Regards

Steve

• 5 months later...
I'm not exactly happy with the ridiculous purchase process of this sim.

Is there any other way to download this? not Steam that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

Only 3 options: DVD set, MS Store & Steam

I have the Steam version, it downloaded and installed flawlessly. Zero issues. I also hear it leaves the files accessible (apparently MS version encrypts some files) and so tweaking and modding files is easier on it vs the MS Store one.

However an MS Store user could perhaps update us on wether this is still the case. I had read this a while ago.

I dont like the MS Store, I find it so clunkily designed, will never buy anything from there.

There is one scenario where it would be preferable to Steam - do you own an Xbox? If so you'll get both versions for the price of one.

I apologize if this question has been previously addressed. I searched but could not find the answer.

So the question: Can one download MSFS 2020 from say a work computer with a T1 connection, then install later on a home computer?

I saw this yesterday. It describes transfering MSFS from one computer to another. I don't know if this helps.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.