Who is planning a new rig build for the new sim?

I’m wondering who’s planning a new rig, and how do you think you will be configuring it? Making plans myself but wondering AMD, like AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950x or I9-10900K. Let’s hear your plans! Edited by FrankR409

I9-10900kf, gtx3090, 32gb ddr 4 3200mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

No. I upgraded last fall, i7-9700K, RTX 2070, 32GB G. Skill 3000 cl15, well vented Corsair case, 500GB SSD and 1TB M.2. It isn't quite perfect for new sim, but will probably do quite nicely. I get ~59 fps (refresh rate) at 1980x1200 on X-Plane 11.41 in the wide open spaces I usually fly. That would drop a bit if i fly into Paris or Chicago, but i don't spend a lot of time in the big airports. I have great sound with a Fosi amp driving Elac speakers, or an outboard dac and headphone amp. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Building yes but im waiting for more details about FS2020 and how it interfaces with multi screens, panels etc before I decide on final build

!

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

Can any one take a guess at how important/influential RAM will be? I'm sitting on a reasonably new i5-8500, RTX2060, with 16GB. Upgrading CPU or GPU are out of the question financially, but I could add another 16GB for a cool $100. Wondering if I should.

Can any one take a guess at how important/influential RAM will be? I'm sitting on a reasonably new i5-8500, RTX2060, with 16GB. Upgrading CPU or GPU are out of the question financially, but I could add another 16GB for a cool $100. Wondering if I should.

Heard that 32GB is preferred!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Heard that 32GB is preferred!

Put it this way, an extra 16GB of ram nowadays is not going to cost a lot. You can get good deals now online. Plus no doubt you will be using your machine for other stuff as well, and if you look at how windows chews up memory if you have a few apps open at the same time its a no brainer that upgrading to 32GB minimum is really not an extravagance. Currently I have my email client open, warthunder, and two widows of a Chrome broswer with maybe a dozen tabs and my system has already eaten 8.5GB of ram.

I have just ordered some additional parts for my dream machine.

Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case

SeaSonic FOCUS PX 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

i9 9900k

32GB 3600 ram (actually serious considering to up this to 64GB)

Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Just need to save my pennies now for a 2070 super GPU (or its equivalent 30XX when they are released) and I have my eye on a 35" monitor.

Intend to drop some additional NVME storage in there as well so that I can separate my OS drive from my games and documents, but that is not a priority at the moment.

The above sounds like I have money to burn, I don't. I have been putting aside €200-€300 each month now since Easter. Will probably be near Christmas before I have the monitor and GPU.

Totally overkill for FS 2020 but I intend to use it for x-plane, general gaming, and video editing as well, and its always better to over build so that you get a good few years out of a PC before having to upgrade yet again.

Edited by efanton
typo

So funny enough, everything I am Planning, ram wise is going to be 64, 3200 MHz. The sim is only going to get bigger, have desirable addons via third party etc.

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke, Alienware monitor 34 inch @ 3440 x 1440

Just needed Windows 10 (Put on a separate NVMe drive from Windows 7), got a 10Tb HDD to use as a scenery download cache. Will consider selling a kidney for a RTX30xx later.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Just needed Windows 10 (Put on a separate NVMe drive from Windows 7), got a 10Tb HDD to use as a scenery download cache. Will consider selling a kidney for a RTX30xx later.

I am carefully watching for release of rtx30xx as well as “Big Navi”.

I'm just slightly above recommended specs (Ryzen 1600X, 16GB RAM, 8GB R390 graphics) and wishing I had some cash spare lol!

I had to free up a whole 180GB on one of my 250GB SSDs, so if it is mostly cached scenery I might have to look into putting it on the HDD instead - no point wearing out an SSD with all those writes!!

Hopefully it won't get TOO much bigger, 150GB and 16GB RAM should be fine, but as always, the more RAM the better!

I will try it with one screen, and with three, but usally I don't notice a drop in faps in most games when played on three screens as opposed to on one. That, though, remains to be seen, as the main games I played on three were FSX, ARMA and GTAV - I guess I'll have to try it and see.

Edited by alexdaszak

I'm just slightly above recommended specs (Ryzen 1600X, 16GB RAM, 8GB R390 graphics) and wishing I had some cash spare lol!

I had to free up a whole 180GB on one of my 250GB SSDs, so if it is mostly cached scenery I might have to look into putting it on the HDD instead - no point wearing out an SSD with all those writes!!

Hopefully it won't get TOO much bigger, 150GB and 16GB RAM should be fine, but as always, the more RAM the better!

I will try it with one screen, and with three, but usally I don't notice a drop in faps in most games when played on three screens as opposed to on one. That, though, remains to be seen, as the main games I played on three were FSX, ARMA and GTAV - I guess I'll have to try it and see.

Good point and I think we are in the same position.. we don’t know! I love the fact that forward thinking people are looking at it this way as well.

I will try it with one screen, and with three, but usually I don't notice a drop in faps in most games when played on three screens as opposed to on one. That, though, remains to be seen, as the main games I played on three were FSX, ARMA and GTAV - I guess I'll have to try it and see.

I wouldnt worry about wearing out a SSD with writes if it is a quality drive. The amount of operations they can take mean you can more or less write to them constantly for years before you hit any limit.

Personally I am going with the plan to put my FS2020 on a dedicated NVME drive, another for my steam games (cool fact if you install steam to an empty drive all steam games will install to that same drive) and have a dedicated SSD for my OS. I am hoping that FS 2020 will automatically download any updates or scenery to the drive it is installed on too. With a 1TB drive that will never be fully used that drive should last at least a decade.

You can pick up a decent Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive for about £120.

Almost as good as the samsung EVO in spec at nearly half the cost.

MY logic is that keeping a NVME drive dedicated to FS 2020 will result in faster performance, will mean that if there is every a crash or fault, its a simple reinstall, and for the cost of just over £100 why would you not do it if you can afford to.

Bumping up the memory to 32GB and using a dedicated NVME drive for FS2020 seems to be the cheapest way to go to max your performance given the specs that have been released.

Edited by efanton

Here is what I built:

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900K (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 each (NVIDIA NVLink SLI Enabled) (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply

Should hopefully be in the day before the MSFS drops, and will be upgrading internet to 45mbs before then as well.

I think quite possibly we should be able to turn the settings up a bit...

Here is what I built:

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900K (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 each (NVIDIA NVLink SLI Enabled) (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply

Should hopefully be in the day before the MSFS drops, and will be upgrading internet to 45mbs before then as well.

I think quite possibly we should be able to turn the settings up a bit...

You make a great point that i have not heard a lot of people saying and thats the internet speed ! I have that on my upgrade list for sher !

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

can some one post average prices for a new pC that is slightly over the advised recommended hardware ?

1500 $ 1750 $ 2000 $ ?

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

can some one post average prices for a new pC that is slightly over the advised recommended hardware ?

1500 $ 1750 $ 2000 $ ?

Mine cost £3000 in the UK.

I7 10700

Rtx2080ti

2 500gb ssd

1tb hdd

32gb ram

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You make a great point that i have not heard a lot of people saying and thats the internet speed ! I have that on my upgrade list for sher !

I think there will be heartache for those who do not have adequate internet speed. I'm taking no chances. Having 200 meg service installing sometime this afternoon to replace my miserably slow 25 meg connection.

I have finally arrived at an Alienware 34" Curved Gaming Monitor - AW3420DW to go with those 2080ti cards.

This is hopefully going to be epic!

My rig, although fairly good, definitely needs updating! (I'm taking it to a tech shop, where they will do it all for me). But what I'd like to ask anyone in the know is, will this be like the old FSX, in that you can play it on a normal, desktop PC? As I've heard that it may only be for people with an X-Box, or having to use all the correct buttons, knobs and switches as seen on screen. I would love to get it, especially with a VR headset, but will I still be able to use it? (lazy flight-simmer). I also don't want to have to play it online.

Currently it is only released for PC, so you are in luck there. X-Box coming at a future date not yet announced.

As far as the VR goes, support for that is not on the day 1 release. It sounded as if they are committed to doing it, and I am sure they will, eventually.

You don't have to play "on-line" but that is the core of where all the graphics come into play, so try it and maybe you will like it!

I’m wondering who’s planning a new rig, and how do you think you will be configuring it? Making plans myself but wondering AMD, like AMD Ryzen 9 - 3950x or I9-10900K. Let’s hear your plans!

Just ordered my parts for the new build.

i7-10700 CPU

MSI MEG Z490 Ace MB

32 mb Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM

Samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb, and 2tb M2 PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 SSD drives

Phanteks Eclipse P500A High Airflow Full-metal Mesh Design, ATX Mid-tower case

Win 10 Home 64 bit

Going to use my old GTX 1070 for now. I'm hoping the new 3000 series Nvidia cards will drop soon.

Also going to get a Honeycomb flight yoke and dump the old Logitech.

You guys are talking about “rigs” and leaving out the 4K monitor altogether, i opened a new thread asking specifically about 4K because i suspect it should be a major issue in order to get the quality we dream in the youtube feature show offs

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think