Update 5 download keeps locking up in Installation Manager

Downloading seems to be working with regard to download speed etc. Trouble is it only works for a few minutes before it seems to go into a loop, despite the download apparently continuing. Last attempt showed 7/251 and 1.13gb at which it stuck

Deleted the Community folder.

Is it still a case of server overload, and if so why does it still seem to be downloading?

This is known as a download/install loop, and Zendesk have a few fixes for you to try:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This is known as a download/install loop, and Zendesk have a few fixes for you to try:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

Thanks Tim, that was the information I was looking for. However, still no luck :(

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Try a Network reset, it worked for me on Tuesday:

Start menu > Settings > Network & Internet > click on Network reset at the bottom of the page.

Restart your PC when it's finished.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Try a Network reset, it worked for me on Tuesday:

Start menu > Settings > Network & Internet > click on Network reset at the bottom of the page.

Restart your PC when it's finished.

Just tried that, no good :(

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Did you try the DISM.exe repair that I suggested in your other thread?

Tried:

1) Turn off Defender scanning

2) Network reset

3) Disable IPV6

4) Disable Window auto tuning (whatever that does!)

5) Checked for bad RAM - ok

It gets to a certain file and then keeps downloading this file continously and the gb downloaded keeps showing that the same operation is repeated continually. This happens with a minute so when nothing gets downloadedand freezes at say only 100mb download but occasionally might go for several minutes and successfully download say 1 gb.

At this rate it will take days and hundreds of attempts to complete the job.

Help!

Is your PC connected to your router by ethernet cable or wifi? Mine's wifi and I often have to reboot the router to get a reliable connection.

It's a Microsoft tool for repairing windows update:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors

I use it every month or so, just in case. It works a treat, too.

I have tried everyone's excellent suggestions, tried others found on other forums, nothing is working.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to help me get my sim installed. However, it is apparent that this is not going to work.

I am throwing in the towel, Microsoft has won. They have my $$$, they had my time.

Congrats MS, you've won.

Sorry to hear that David, I hope you can re-install MSFS again sometime soon - good luck!

Out of not wanting to give up, I decided to try one last time. This time I got a new message that there was a mandatory update waiting for me in the MS Store. Went there and of course, I was up to date.

So, I thought to myself, "Self, uninstall (again for the 56 time) and reload from the Store" which I did, it ran through the usual screen fairly fast (something it had not done since this nightmare began), and has allowed me to click the Update button! Now, it is going to 5mbits/second (on a 400 meg connection), however, due to EVERYONE downloading the patch etc., I am not complaining!!

WHAT a relief! Great job David, fingers crossed for you here.

Just tried that, no good :(

I have now tried most of the Zendesk advice without any luck. Still having to download very small chunks before the dreaded loop appears.

Not tried Netlimiter as I do not wish to pay for software which will only be used once. The free alternatives are far too technical at first glance. Why would I need to do this anyway when it was never an issue before?

Despite posting on four Facebook MSFS forums in addition to this one, nobody seems to have a reliable solution.

Even if I reinstall the sim (I have the dvd version) I am still faced with huge updates when presumably the looping issue will occur again?

THe only solution seems to be sticking with 2 or 3 updates at a time then rebooting/restarting the sim. This will take forever though.

Also why is this occuring just with this update 5 ? Some of the previous updates where pretty big and I never had any "looping" issues.

Still looking for a effective answer to my problem

There's no definitive answer, if that's what you mean - everyone's setups are so different that what works for one person won't work for someone else.

That makes it impossible to pin this issue down to someone's PC, their internet connection, their ISP or the Azure server network.

Sometimes a download will start or restart for no apparent reason after days of trying everything.

Unfortunately the only practical advice is to keep trying, sorry.

I am saddened that you do not have this fixed. I agree that we should not have to use a limiting software to download.

Have you tried, forums.microsoft.com? Not trying to chase you away, just offering another choice

I have now tried most of the Zendesk advice without any luck. Still having to download very small chunks before the dreaded loop appears.

Not tried Netlimiter as I do not wish to pay for software which will only be used once. The free alternatives are far too technical at first glance. Why would I need to do this anyway when it was never an issue before?

Despite posting on four Facebook MSFS forums in addition to this one, nobody seems to have a reliable solution.

Even if I reinstall the sim (I have the dvd version) I am still faced with huge updates when presumably the looping issue will occur again?

THe only solution seems to be sticking with 2 or 3 updates at a time then rebooting/restarting the sim. This will take forever though.

Also why is this occuring just with this update 5 ? Some of the previous updates where pretty big and I never had any "looping" issues.

Netlimiter has a free trial period. I never paid for it. But if the problem happens again I might have to.

Pat