Just Flight C-130 install problem

ColR1948

I have a laptop with Windows 7 on that I use for a webcam, I did as instructed and it worked.

The problem was the pen drive I used was only 16GB so it ran out of space, I'm now using a 32GB so that

should be OK.

Everything was installing no problem, anyway 2nd attempt going now as I type but it is working.

Thank you so much for your help it is very much appreciated.

The 1st one took a while, lots of textures installing, after all there is 24 countries with C-130 versions to install plus all the others stuff.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” TR

Got it installed, you are a genius thank you. Need to sort it properly as there are a few I will never fly so will organise the folders. Just took the 1st one I saw to try.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230062[/ATTACH]

Col

Sweet! Nice going.

Does yours include the J variant?

Confused. So what did you actually do to get it to work?

Hello!

I originally installed directly into Win 10 from the DVD (post #6 above).

Some update has moved and otherwise disabled secdrv.sys, the system file that allows optical media to have access to your PC. SecDrv.sys was part of Windows up until recently, and is enabled by default in XP.

While experimenting, I installed into a vanilla FS9 on a Win XP machine (post #16 above), copied the relevant folders to USB drive and (could then have) pasted them directly into FS9 on my Win 10 machine.

It seems the installer doesn't check the registry, only for a copy of fs9.exe so you don't need a full fs9 installation. Consequently, Mark's suggestion is rather more elegant:

1. On a XP machine, make a folder called whatever.

2. Put a copy of the fs9.exe into it.

3. Install the C-130 from DVD into that folder.

4. Doing that means you shouldn't have to filter all the C-130 stuff out from the rest of the fs9 files before copying to USB for porting.

D

Edited by defaid

I did something similar with mine I put my dummy folder on the pen drive then installed to that but same principle.

Just been sorting the C-130 stuff as I won't and never will be flying some of them, so they are taking up space.

So grateful to Mark though for this, I had almost given up on it.

Col.

All is possible. Are you willing to get your hands dirty for the next fun and exciting Windows 10 dilemma of old game installation? If so, learn and get your hands dirty. https://github.com/ericwj/PsSecDrv (Note- as of this post the repository was updated 17 days ago. So it's active and working).

Now, about that needing another computer. That's fine, and is one way, but in today's modern computing we can virtualize that with VMware Workstation Player or Oracle's Virtualbox. (I prefer VMware) Just make sure VMware Tools gets installed if you install XP or 7 in VMware Workstation Player. VMware Tools allows you drag & drop between your host (your main computer) and the guest (inside the VMware running OS). And no, you can't game in VMware.

Note: You should make sure virtualization features are turned on in your BIOS/UEFI.

You of course could dual boot (I prefer two HDDs with the HDD selector by Kingwin). Gigabyte motherboards allow chipsets Z370, B365 (9th Gen capable), H310 (9th Gen capable) to use Windows 7 and Windows 10 since they provide the necessary motherboard drivers for both OSs. Keep that bit of Info. in a text file because it took me at least an hour to go through all their motherboards and find out for a tech forum. LOL! I'm sure ASUS and others may be the same. (On the left choose by chipset). https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard

Addendum:

There might be another way. LOL!

I'd have to find it, but maybe an old copy of Hiren's boot CD using Windows 7 could work via live USB booting. Just boot the USB stick and use your optical drive. I prefer to use Ventoy for USB booting OSs. With Ventoy you can boot Memtest86, Windows, Linux, you freaking name it. Just place the ISO on the Ventoy formatted USB drive. Or optical drive if you want read only. Use WinToUSB to copy and boot your whole damn OS you use now in a live environment! :D If you want quick OS deployment via freaking smartphone, check out Server Ultimate for PXE booting. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimatepro&hl=en_US&gl=US (You'll need to know how to PXE boot).

Anyway...

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hello!

I originally installed directly into Win 10 from the DVD (post #6 above).

Some update has moved and otherwise disabled secdrv.sys, the system file that allows optical media to have access to your PC. SecDrv.sys was part of Windows up until recently, and is enabled by default in XP.

While experimenting, I installed into a vanilla FS9 on a Win XP machine (post #16 above), copied the relevant folders to USB drive and (could then have) pasted them directly into FS9 on my Win 10 machine.

It seems the installer doesn't check the registry, only for a copy of fs9.exe so you don't need a full fs9 installation. Consequently, Mark's suggestion is rather more elegant:

1. On a XP machine, make a folder called whatever.

2. Put a copy of the fs9.exe into it.

3. Install the C-130 from DVD into that folder.

4. Doing that means you shouldn't have to filter all the C-130 stuff out from the rest of the fs9 files before copying to USB for porting.

D

Handy to know even though none of that made sense. :p

I'll try to be concise here and in a way you might understand.

First the underlying issue. The issue here is that Windows 10 doesn't allow the ability to read from optical media (Think CDs/DVDs) due to that optical media using a mechanism called Safedisk to protect that optical media from illegal copying. Safedisk was a very popular copy protection used by companies that distributed their software via optical media. Like video games and whatnot.

While older operating systems like Windows 7 et al could read these copy protected disks that used Safedisk without issue, Microsoft in their infinite dogma of tricks decided Safedisk was a security threat and thus disabled the ability to read from a Safedisk protected CD or DVD in Windows 10.

What that of course means is that if you try to install a game or some other software via a CD that is protected with Safedisk to prevent illegal duplication, Windows 10 won't allow you because the operating system simply doesn't have the needed components necessary to read these kind of CDs.

The solution given here is to use an older operating system like Windows 7 that can read these CDs protected with Safedisk to install the software (in this case an add-on C-130 aircraft) and then just copy over those files to your Windows 10 FS2004 install.

Does that make sense?

I gave a solution on how to fix this permanently (well, until another glorious update hoses it all over again) and some other solutions from within the realm of borderline "dork" in that some people may need above average computing skills to accomplish.

==== dork mode on ====

Back in the day when I made digital copies of my own store bought games (remember Target and Walmart's glorious selection of boxed games?) so that they would run from the HDD directly for speed improvements on install and game launching, I first used something called A-Ray scanner to help determine the copy protection used in the optical media. Then I used a software called Alcohol 120% to make a copy of the optical media in a file format like ISO or what ever. Then when you wanted to install the game or play the game you just mounted the ISO with Alcohol 120%'s virtual optical drive and the game install ran right from your computer rather than a slow optical disk.

It does get a little bit more complicated though in that in the latter years game developers started blacklisting virtual optical drives so that even IF you were able to make a 1:1 copy of the game you were never able to launch the game from your virtual drive. Well, that was fixed with software that tricked the game into not detecting a virtual optical drive was used in the first place. LOL! I laugh because this DRM (Digital Rights Management) thing for everything is always circumvented one way or another. Even with HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection). That's just the nature of technology and it's a constant tit for tat mouse and cat game.

Now today, damn near all games are delivered via streaming platforms like; Steam, Battle.net, Epic Games and what ever else may be out there. This has probably been a very successful platform compared to optical media delivered games in terms of profit because so many people use Steam and what have you. I have gaming friends that have at least ~300 games in their Steam library. If each game was on average $~30 US dollars (most are not, believe me), that's at least ~$9,000 dollars worth of gamage, yo! Per person! I could build at least 6 decent computes with that money!

The company that owns Steam is Valve and their total equity according to Wikipedia as of this post is 10 billion. Valve is an LLC (Limited Liability Company), a private company and not traded on the stock market so that its not required to release financials to the public. Me thinks that's on purpose for reasons... LOL You thinks that's rather mad, then look into a Chinese company called Tencent.

==== dork mode off ====

Edit-

Posted in 2017. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-much-valve-boss-gabe-newell-is-reportedl/1100-6446990/

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I went through the process and got the C-130 but what a pain. Thinking about it though the disk was a legal copy and I was not allowed to install because of Windows10 not allowing me to, so in a way they prompted me to turn to a kind of illegal way to install the software.

So how does anybody install a program they bought on to W10, not everyone has another PC with W7 on or know of this workaround?

Plus some programs you can't just port over they install files within Windows and knowing where to find them can be almost impossible to a lot of people.

What we really need is not this work around but a way to enable W10 to read the disks again.

After this it has put me off buying anymore pay ware aircraft.

Col.

Col.

You can still buys lots of payware aircraft and scenery for FS9 as digital downloads from the store on here and at Simmarket, JustFlight and other places too. Also the safedisc protection system that caused the install problem in the first place only applies to discs from the early 2,000's. Later products will install on Win 10 without issue. For example the PMDG 747 for FS9.

What we really need is not this work around but a way to enable W10 to read the disks again.

Read post # 37. Every - last - bit - of - it.

I don't know why, but on many forums all across the Internet that I'm a member of I post very specific and to the fact information or solutions to an issue and I'm completely bypassed time and time again.

If you're looking for an easy way, there isn't. It's been striped out of Windows 10 and the solution from Github is the right way to bring it back into the core of the OS. I did mention that an update could hose the effort? I also mentioned alternatives?