MSFS2020 Release Date

Hello everyone,

I imagine that there is a lot of excitement regarding FS2020 release, It is about time that a new Sim came out and one that would revolutionize the community. Now there are tons of questions regarding the package itself, system specs, third party involvement, and of course the date it will be released, I think I have a good idea when this will be, just follow the clues. To start the sims graphics are coming from Bing maps, I was checking out these maps and they are pretty amazing and cover most of the planet, another issue is that the sim is coming with only one season and I can guess it would be spring or summer since bing maps photo sats are in these 2 seasons. why only one season? well logic says that since scenery is from these maps it would be really hard to impose a fall or winter mesh thus ruining the maps itself. It makes sense that the release should be in spring or summer (northern hemisphere), it would be awkward to release it late in the year during the no season bing maps.

Now the sim that they are going to release its just the core package where they cover the 3 basics, Scenery, Aerodynamics and Weather. I am sure that MS would be releasing other seasons once they get it on Bing maps and winter weather effects for there weather engine for a price of course witch is fine by me. I am imagine that third parties would jump right in creating seasons and new weather FXs. If the Sim comes out in summer and it has a good acceptance then I'm sure the Fall and Winter seasons will come out shortly.

Best Wishes

Oscar

They do not need seasonal satellite photos at all. They need only use procedurally generated effects...

...just as they have done with the snow. If you watch the time lapse carefully, you will see that the snow coverage grows over time, just as in real life. They have even managed to create "depth" to the snow as it piles up.

Similar techniques can be used to adjust the color, texture, and number of leaves on trees (deciduous of course). Conifer's don't drop their leaves.

Since they are using "Meteo" as their real-weather source, they can even 'melt' the snow procedurally in-reverse, diminishing the ground/building/tree object's coverage!

The guys and gals at Asobo are absolutely brilliant at their art.

Edited by n4gix

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

The released date is 23 December 2020 at 1:32 a.m. GMT...............
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

The released date is 23 December 2020 at 1:32 a.m. GMT...............

Well, it's 6 January and I haven't seen any indication of a release.

BTW: When I try to get "Insider Information" from Microsoft, who I've been registered with for years, they ask me to join X-Box. Since I don't join X-Box they forward me to other products and try to get me to open a game charge account and when I won't do that try to sell me other products. I find no info "Insider" or otherwise or even a mention of MSFS2020 at their site.

So, is FSMS2020 a rental or an X-Box property? Is it Vaporware to put more people on X-Box? etc.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, it's 6 January and I haven't seen any indication of a release.

Is it Vaporware to put more people on X-Box? etc.

Well, still more than 300 days to go until 23rd Dec 2020.

Since it's already in testing, it can't be Vaporware.

When I try to get "Insider Information" from Microsoft, who I've been registered with for years, they ask me to join X-Box. Since I don't join X-Box they forward me to other products and try to get me to open a game charge account and when I won't do that try to sell me other products. I find no info "Insider" or otherwise or even a mention of MSFS2020 at their site.

This is the Insider site, where you can sign up or log in: https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

]This is the Insider site' date=' where you can sign up or log in: https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Yes, that's exactly the site I'm talking about! I just went there again and they once again wanted me to join X-Box. I will restate again as I said before "Well, it's 6 January and I haven't seen any indication of a release.

BTW: When I try to get "Insider Information" from Microsoft, who I've been registered with for years, they ask me to join X-Box. Since I don't join X-Box they forward me to other products and try to get me to open a game charge account and when I won't do that try to sell me other products. I find no info "Insider" or otherwise or even a mention of MSFS2020 at their site.

So, is FSMS2020 a rental or an X-Box property? Is it Vaporware to put more people on X-Box? etc. "[/b]

My question is still the same. :eek:

Edited by Rupert

Well, still more than 300 days to go until 23rd Dec 2020.

Since it's already in testing, it can't be Vaporware.

Based upon my requests for "Insider Information" which continue to link me with XBOX and other pay to play games, I'm not at all sure of anything they say!!

Yes, that's exactly the site I'm talking about! I just went there again and they once again wanted me to join X-Box. I will restate again as I said before "Well, it's 6 January and I haven't seen any indication of a release.

So, is FSMS2020 a rental or an X-Box property? Is it Vaporware to put more people on X-Box? etc. "[/b]

My question is still the same. :eek:

If you want to get access to the Insider site you will need to join the Xbox Insider program. This is similar to the Windows and Office Insider programs, among others, that Microsoft runs for pre-release access to software. Also, Microsoft has moved all of their gaming related products and services, which includes sims, for both Xbox consoles and PC, under the Xbox brand. Thus the need for the Xbox Insider program. There is no need to sign up for any subscription for this either.

And as has been stated there, is no specific release date beyond sometime this year. Given that the sim is still in the alpha stage (yes, people outside MS do have access to the alpha build and are testing it), summer would be the earliest it should be expected, and more likely fall. Microsoft has also said it will be available for standalone purchase, like FSX was, as well as through their Xbox Gamepass for PC (think Netflix for PC games).

Edited by loki

If you want to get access to the Insider site you will need to join the Xbox Insider program. This is similar to the Windows and Office Insider programs, among others, that Microsoft runs for pre-release access to software. Also, Microsoft has moved all of their gaming related products and services, which includes sims, for both Xbox consoles and PC, under the Xbox brand. Thus the need for the Xbox Insider program. There is no need to sign up for any subscription for this either.

Ok I see what you're saying about "the Insider" program. My next question is what do they want to know about me and who will they share it with?

I know I'm old! But I know way too many people personally whose "private" information has exposed them to hoaxes.

And I know one woman who suffered serious ID Theft and had to reapply for credit cards, voting, etc. It took years to get her credit ratings and retirement benefits straightened out!! So I'm loathe to put a lot out there especially if it involves tracking my touches and the info I access.

Edited by Rupert

Geez Rupert, if you're that freaked out about the risks of joining then don't join, no one's twisting your arm.

Good point, that's why I don't! But I have to wonder why so many others do? Lemming attitude?;)

Geez Rupert, if you're that freaked out about the risks of joining then don't join, no one's twisting your arm.

I fully understand his attitude, and I share it, to a large degree. I've been in computers, one way or another, for 40+ years, including a stint working with some folks at Bell Labs where I discovered how certain folks can easily bypass most "safeguards." I also learned how inadvertent bugs can be a bear to find, along with a few other things.

The main point being that perhaps I know too much, causing me to be extremely skeptical about the safety of computers. Add to that the (relatively recent) growing spate of "hacked" systems, the proliferation of malware AND the way more and more otherwise reputable businesses are gathering information they're not entitled to, then SELLING it, often to bad actors, or otherwise misusing it, and you eventually develop a very pessimistic outlook on such things.

Certainly he doesn't HAVE to join, but as I often do, he's researching what he'd get into if he DID join.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Ok I see what you're saying about "the Insider" program. My next question is what do they want to know about me and who will they share it with?

I know I'm old! But I know way too many people personally whose "private" information has exposed them to hoaxes.

And I know one woman who suffered serious ID Theft and had to reapply for credit cards, voting, etc. It took years to get her credit ratings and retirement benefits straightened out!! So I'm loathe to put a lot out there especially if it involves tracking my touches and the info I access.

Being cautious is always good practice. There is nothing stopping you from creating an account with a fake name that you could use for this. I know one person who signs up as Mark Twain or other historical people when they don't want to give anything away. You also don't need to provide much personal info either. And there are options for two factor authentication to help keep others out as well.

Most severe ID theft involves far more than just getting access to someone's Microsoft account. Far too often the hacked accounts you hear about in the news were ones where the same password was used on multiple accounts, or the password was something simple.

They only ask the minimum needed to register your "Gamertag" (that is the alias you choose to be known by). No personal information aside from your name and email addressed are asked for.

My "Gamertag" is N4GIX, which says nothing that can identify my real name to anyone...

...besides another amateur radio operator who knows how to look me up that is! :cool:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

They only ask the minimum needed to register your "Gamertag" (that is the alias you choose to be known by). No personal information aside from your name and email addressed are asked for.

My "Gamertag" is N4GIX, which says nothing that can identify my real name to anyone...

...besides another amateur radio operator who knows how to look me up that is! :cool:

I'm glad you added that last one, Bill.

de N8GGG

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Indeed it is. We can't hide from anyone.......Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Yep, I was thinking the same thzing LOL

73 Steve G7RTA

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

• 2 weeks later...