Crater Lake in Oregon

Rupert

While night flying over Oregon it'd be a shame to not overfly Crater Lake National Park. This lake, formed by a volcano, has surface water at 6,178' above sea level and is 1,949' deep. It has no water channels entering or leaving it and is simply replenished by rain and snow. The last time I was there RW was in June of last year and even in June over 70% of the park roads were still so deep in snow they were impassable.

cl1.jpg

cl2.jpg

cl3.jpg

cl4.jpg

cl5.jpg

cl6.jpg

Once again, in honor of Phantom Tweak and Miss Ghost, enjoy! ;)

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Gee, that lake looks vaguely familiar. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

It was a real pleasure to meet you in person here, Michael.

Sadly, a new owner bought Melita's, and within 2 months it was closed due to severe mismanagement. We all hope it opens again, as it's a local land mark, and has been for a LONG time.

Darn good food, and plenty of it too. At least I thought so...

Great pictures, this one and the last one both. Myself, and the lovely Miss Ghost, appreciate the posts :D

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Impressive Crater Lake pics! :cool::cool::cool:

Hey Jan,

You really don't want to make one of your signature landings in that lake!! :eek::eek: It's not only deep, it's also hugely cold!!!!

Great set of night shots! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Jan,

You really don't want to make one of your signature landings in that lake!! :eek::eek: It's not only deep, it's also hugely cold!!!!

Just to be sure I'm not misunderstood. The water is deep. The land around it is often cold.

That much very deep geothermal temperature water could heat small cities if exploited. But as there was several feet of snow still on the ground in June, the land is what's cold.

Do you mean you imported Scottish ghosts and trolls in California? Don't understand much :):):)

??? Oregon, G'erard, not California. But when Jan is flying you don't need ghosts or trolls to cause a problem. He can and does cause them on his own!!:p

??? Oregon, G'erard, not California

Yep! You'll allow the poor French layman I'm in terms of US geography :):) to consider California from San Diego to Seattle! Anyway fine flight!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

It's a beautiful lake and surround. Except in winter, when the snow is so deep, they don't even try to plow the roads. Some roads they DO make tunnels under the snow for, so the Rangers can get to where they need to be, but other than that...

The lake it's self IS geothermally heated, as are the sidewalks in downtown Klamath. Crater Lake IS an active volcano, after all. The name is a dead giveaway, after all. It's the crater left after the mountain blew it's top. The local tribes have some incredible stories in their oral histories of when that happened.

Wizard Island, out in the middle of the lake, is the cinder cone left over from the eruption. We have a large number of hills around here that are other cinder cones from the volcano as well. Or the Three Sisters volcanoes. Or the Mt. McLaughlin volcano. Maybe even Mt. Shasta, which we can see from here on a relatively clear day. All active volcanoes. We just keep an eye on their snow pack to see if they looking to erupt. Nothing so far!

Lots of cinder cones around here. The road crews use them to provide the cinders they use to provide traction on the roads in winter. Like salt, but not nearly as corrosive. Work pretty good, too :)

Little hard on tires, but not too bad with decent off-roaders...

As to the $100.00 hamburgers, they have to go all the way into Klamath, now. Sad situation, really... :p

Have fun all! Enjoy the view. I do every day :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D