Thread: FS2002 addon scenery folder : Obligation to put all addon scenery in this folder, Is this true ?

Default FS2002 addon scenery folder : Obligation to put all addon scenery in this folder, Is this true ?

Several authors of FS2002 ADD-ON scenery's put in their readme files a warning that you have to install their scenery via the FS2002 ADDON SCENERY folder. (Portug02, Spain 2k2, ...) Some even say that you have to install all addon scenery using this addon scenery folder. I tried to install the well known Spain scenery (FS2002 version) in a seperate folder as I haved done in FS2000. It did not work. After placing the scenery in the FS2002 addon scenery folder it worked.
    Other authors advise you, via their readme files, to create the scenery in a seperate folder like in FS2000. Most of this scenery's work after installation using this seperate folder.
    I have already asked this question 2 times via this forum but did not got an answer. Is it therefore true that it is not very clear what the exact function of this FS2002 ADDON scenery is and when and how seperate folders, as in FS2000, can be used.

Default RE: FS2002 addon scenery folder : Obligation to put all addon scenery in this folder, Is this true ?

From my own experience, I have never put new scenery in the FS folder in the past, like FS95, 98, 2000, and I am not going to start now, I always create a seperat folder and put it all in there. If you notice when you add scenery from the world scenery add, then it opens up a window so that you can point to the file needed for the library, so it really does not matter where the folder is on the hard drive. Now I believe that the appearance of the ADDON folder was MS's attempt to address this issue. the reason that I always created a seperate folder was to prevent the default scenery from becoming overwritten. Hope this answers your question.

Default RE: FS2002 addon scenery folder : Obligation to put all addon scenery in this folder, Is this true ?

You can do it like you always did in fs98, fs2000. The addon scenery folder is there for convenience.

I would like to agree with you. I to prefer to use an other folder that in my case is even on another harddrive. The problem remains that some scenery (Like the very interesting scenery Spain2002) does not show up if you do not install it in the FS2002 addon scenery folder. (I tried to install the spain2002 scenery in the normal way, i.e. via my own folder, but it did not worked that way) Normally spoken the author of the scenery (Tony for the spain2002 scenery) warns you that you heve to use this FS2002 SCENERY ADDON folder. I have however other cases where the author did not mentioned it but where the scenery did not show up after the nornal installation. (Using my own scenery folder) So there must be a difference between the use of the FS2002 ADDON scenery and the use of a self created scenery folder. It is apparently the author of the scenery that in one way ore another is obliging you to use this FS2002 ADDON SCENERY folder.
    I should like to know how this is done and what is the advantage of this.

asace Guest

What is the Portug02 scenery you talk about? Is it from Tony Agramont also?

Yes. Portug02.zip Portugal 2002. for Fs2002. Author: Toni Agramont. (Barcelon-Spain)

Hi,

I have just installed this scenery of Portugal in the directory C:\Fs2002\Newscenery\portugal (NewScenery is the directory where normally I put all new scenery). I copied all the files in the zip of Portugal to the usual \scenery and \texture folders of \Portugal). I even added the Nova textures to the latter \texture folder (not into the Fs2002\texture folder). It works all right! Of course I added the corresponding entry in the Fs2002 scenery.cfg.

Try because it works!

Regards

Edmundo

One advantage of using the add on scenery folder is you save alot of space on your hard drive by not repeating the same texture files over and over again by making a seperate folder for each scenery.

I have Spain2002, Portugal2002 and his CanaryIslandsBETA scenery all installed in their own seperate folders and they all work fine.

You may need to check and see if you installed it correctly, or if you added the correct lines to the scenery.cfg file. I can tell you that if it is not working for you, it is NOT the scenery itself which is the problem.

http://www.lovett.org/jsp/pub/eko/grommitsig.jpg

As long as the scenery.cfg file knows where to go then you'll be fine.
    I would have to see the Spain archive to determine what reason the author says to put in in the ADD ON Folder.
    Some authors forget to include some textures when they build their archives. I have BAe Woodford (EGCD) by Paul Baines & he didn't put in the 'trees' folder that he mentions in his woodford.doc.

I wish I could understand those numbers that follow the 'Object not found' message. Why it doesn't say "tree_013.bmp not found"

The author is away on holiday so I've no idea which trees are missing.

It's a fantastic scenery.

Ihor
    KBUR