Thread: Orbiter 2006 free space flight simulator

Default Orbiter 2006 free space flight simulator

If you are an avid flight simulator enthusiast then Orbiter 2006 by Dr. Martin Schweiger may interest you. In my opinion, the learning curve is a lot steeper then MSFS. I have been using this simulator for just over a year, started with Orbiter 2005. Thus far, I have just perfected getting into orbit with an eccentricity of 0.0010 or less and an altitude range of 150 – 350 km and then landing using the Orbiter. Docking with the space-station or getting to the moon is out the question for now.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Give it a shot, its free, and if you like it donate any amount you like to further its development.

Default RE: Orbiter 2006 free space flight simulator

Orbiter is out of this world. :-) I try to fly new missions in it every so often. It isn't a sim that you just jump into and fly around in - it takes some basic knowledge of orbital mechanics, but it's relatively easy to get into and understand. I put together a writeup with screenshots of a Solar System tour I did a few years ago - http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/grandtour.htm

I've written a tutorial that will likely be quite helpful for you taking the next steps in orbit - http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter...operations.htm
    This will get you from a stable orbit to docking with the International Space Station. The tutorial is written to help you learn about orbital mechanics as you go through it.

When in orbit, things are kinda messed up - to speed up, you slow down and to slow down, you speed up. And you'll never get to something (say a space station) by thrusting toward it. The more you apply thrust to get to something, the more likely you are to miss it.

Jared

Thanks to the above tutorial I have figured out how to dock, and can do it regularly and quite quick now.

My next thing to learn is getting to the moon... But that will have to wait until after the 2007 RTW victory FlightSim.com will be bringing home next week :)

Yes, I saved that tutorial on my hard-disk last week. It is very informative with lots of diagrams and explanations. I have been working on getting the RInc to as close to zero as possible. I am getting there... Thank you for the tutorial.