Thread: fsOC Is Seeking Airframe Modelers

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

Default fsOC Is Seeking Airframe Modelers

Folks,

In conjunction with the fsOC Forum here at FlightSim.com, please be advised that fsOC is seeking payware-tolerant airframe developers. (We're looking for gauge programmers too.)

You can read about fsOC at at our preliminary text-only website, http://www.fsopencomponents.com. If you are interested, please write to me, Mike McCarthy, [email protected] If you are not interested but know of someone who might be, again please write to me.

We were featured in the most recent editions of the FlightSim.com and SimPilotNet.com newsletters so you know that we're completely serious about what we're doing. To give you an idea of the caliber of the staff we’re assembling, a partial list of our associate membership includes Alejandro Hurtado for textures, Alex Barrett of Turbine Sound Studios for sounds (and gauges), Chip Barber for documentation and Jim Skorna for product support. (You can see a full list of members by clicking the Associates button on the front page of our website.) I too am a developer. My focus will be utility programs and C gauges, and my first effort will be an FSsound rewrite, to be published in “open component” format.

Below is the text of the article that ran a few days ago in the SimPilotNet newsletter ...

fsOC™ is an association of FS add-on developers operating under the fsOC business management umbrella. The fsOC developers will hold the copyrights to their work, which will be published in Open Component format, the FS equivalent of Open Source.

However, while Open Source, allows only the recovery of distribution costs, fsOC-branded products will be available not only as freeware downloads but also as profit-motivated payware CDs. fsOC will collect royalties on behalf of its developers, and it will distribute those royalties to the developers less reasonable business management fees. Thus fsOC will provide its members with all the benefits of entrepreneurship without requiring them to possess business skills.

The implications of fsOC for the end user community are the direct and indirect benefits of publication in open component format. This is especially true for freeware distribution, which is expected to dominate the business. Open component redistribution will be mandated by the fsOC License™, ensuring that end users and developers alike will always have the ability to fix bugs and make changes without having to pick through a maze of inconsistent and unenforceable author-imposed binaries-only distribution licenses. The terms of the fsOC license will require that derivative works also be open component, except in situations where fsOC product has been embedded in others’ payware.

fsOC also plans the long-term creation of utilities, gauge and shapes libraries, again all in open component format. The open component gauges will lead to easy creation of panels, which will in turn lead to easy creation of sophisticated aircraft.

Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Default RE: fsOC Is Seeking Airframe Modelers

Depending on how you count, as of 06aug-07 we now have somewhere between one and three airframe people. Our real need right now is for gauge mavens.

Mike McCarthy

Want to be a payware developer? Click the "How To Join" button on the fsOC website, http://www.fsopencomponents.com

Okay. Since I can't edit the foregoing post I guess I'll just have to repost with these additional details ...

As of the morning of 06aug-07 we have 13 associates, eight of whom are direct developers (as opposed to support), including two airframes guys. We have two people dabbling in gauges, myself and Alex Barret, but our real need is for one or two skilled gauge mavens who know both FSX and FS9 gauges, with a possible requirement for both XML and C gauge programming.

Come on, folks, you're just not trying hard enough. :)

Want to be a payware developer? Click the "How To Join" button on the fsOC website, http://www.fsopencomponents.com

Mike McCarthy

It's not really payware, when you let people download it for free and they don't have to pay for it.

That's not going to be a very successful business model, and that's probably why you are having trouble attracting programming talent. Programmers are usually getting paid for their services, and in order to remain in business so will you.

But, good luck with that.