Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gmax 'Gizmo' question

Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America.

Default Gmax 'Gizmo' question

Hey all,

I have suddenly lost the 'adjustable' Gizmo that you can 'rotate' for things like Aileron Axis adjustments to parts.

I tried the X-Key and that didnt do it.

I hope my graphics card isnt the culprit and causing it to not disappear.

The other adverse oddity that has been occurring is that when I select visible polygon edges with F4, I have to click the screen to get them to appear/disappear, whereas in the past, they would simply change over with the F4 selection.

Back to the 'much needed' Adj. Gizmo view (larger box version of Gizmo), I did get it to 'appear' once after selecting X quite a few times. However, it disappeared when I put the cursor over it to rotate it....

Odd, eh?

Bill

Default RE: Gmax 'Gizmo' question

I got it FIXED!!!!

I should hold a contest to see who can guess it.

I cant believe it. I actually thought I had some sort of virus, lol.

OK.. Well, for those that might come accross this problem, here is how I fixed it. It's a technique I learned from Fr. Bill Leaming.

Boot up Gmax, save the 'new' scene as your next build up of your aircraft project, such as Shuttle 048. Then merge your entire project over into your new scene. A filtering takes place where bad setttings and no longer used textures occurrs, pulling in a 'pure' copy of your present project.

Its good to do this (in Gmax) once in a while, especially before finishing it up, such as when you are putting finishing touches on your bird to ensure you dont have files you dont need in the build.

Cheers all,

Bill
    Lionheart Creations Ltd.

4. Default RE: Gmax 'Gizmo' question

You may have noticed LionHeart's reply to your problem. i just tried it and it did not work. So i would appreciate it if you would post the solution that worked for you, So I can use it to get my gizmo back.

Thanks...

>You may have noticed LionHeart's reply to your problem. i
    >just tried it and it did not work. So i would appreciate it
    >if you would post the solution that worked for you, So I can
    >use it to get my gizmo back.
    >
    >Thanks...

Apparently you missed the fact that "Lionheart" was replying to his own post!!!

Anyway, press the X key to turn the Gizmo back on...
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Hey guys,

Yep, I was writing to myself, lol.

Fr. Bill, unfortunately the X button didnt do it for me that particular time. Several other things occurred as well that were acting up and not the 'usual' self with Gmax.

When I 'Merged' my project over into a 'new' scene, the problem went away. I am confident it was in a part(s) and or a bad texture which sometimes does that, at least this time.

That the problem didnt follow the project into the new scene is beyond me and thus I dont really know why it repaired itself, nor still do I know why it 'wouldnt' function correctly. I do know this, it wasnt just the Gizmo that was interrupted, (the 3D gizmo that is, not the regular Gizmo).

Bill

7. Default RE: Gmax 'Gizmo' question - Fixed!!

Yeah I just realized he was talking to himself, but in my defense his messages followed one right after the other making it appear he was conversing with another person. I would have ralized this of course if I had read the message headers. Anyway - no really, I tried his fix and it did not work so I left my own request for help and then went back into GMax. I tried the X key and noticed something:

The Gizmo has two states - active and inactive

Active is when the gizmo has brightly colored manipulation cones at the end of each of it's axis.
    Inactive is when there is only a simple two pronged arrow at the end of each axis.

When I tapped the X key nothing was happening to the gizmo so I went to the menubar and deselected the Show Transform Gizmo menu item there - it disappeared! I then used the X key a couple of times and the Gizmo reloaded sucessfully. Why it took a couple of tries I can only guess. But GMax uses a lot of memory and resources (especially paging memory). it is possible that GMax was "late" in resolving the keyboard commands because the command queue was stacked up. Tap too quickly and it can appear nothing is happening when in fact the program is trying to switch out the user interface. Too many taps and you get caught up in a state of flux, so to speak. At least thats what I felt was going on.

Default RE: Gmax 'Gizmo' question - Fixed!!

That is exactly what it was doing with me. It would even blink out when I would 'mouse over' the Gizmo.

I thought only Ferrari's and Jaguars did this?

I'm glad you sorted it out, whatever the cause...

I'd like to figure out why sometimes I cannot create a new primitive when building a model, and have to use the "keyboard entry method" instead of the drag-size-drop mouse method.

It seems to be entirely random, 'cause one part it will work, the next one won't, then suddenly it's working again! ???
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Wow.. That is just as bad.

Have you recently added a new script? When Chuck Jordy does 'experimentation' on his Gmax and 3D Max, he is constantly ruining his DLL's and scripts 'in' his Gmax and Max. I wonder if you have done the same thing.

You could backup your scenes and reload everything and see if its gone.

I am going to take Chucks advice and put a zip copy of my Gmax on the HD instead of CD for faster 'repairs' of Gmax.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast