Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running two Monitors one form each Nvida Video Card

Default Running two Monitors one form each Nvida Video Card

Hi all, I have two video cards plugged into my Dell XPS-710 system
    Which from my reading is supposed to be able to run duel video cards as MB has to PCI express slots ( some at Dell forums are trying to tell me that video cards have to be exactly the same models, which is not how I understand it and not what Dell told me)

1 x Nvidia 8800 GTX 756mb card
    1 x Nvidia 8600 GTS 256mb card
    Both enaled in Vista.
    Vista 32bit Ultimate.
    4gb ram.
    Quad core 6700 cpu
    I wish to connect a 2nd Ultra Sharp Monitor DVI connection to 2nd card
    So I can for example in Flight Sim X have the forward cockpit view of th aircraft on 27 inch monitor and the view left image of aircraft on other monitor!
    Without having to buy one of these dueo or triple to go things.

Can this be done?
    Thanks Phil

Thanks
    Phil

Default RE: Running two Monitors one form each Nvida Video Card

If you want to run in Sli mode you would need two identical video cards. From what you are saying, though, that's not what you're up to.

Is this what you want to do?:

As you can see, the left monitor has the Spot view (it can be any view) while the right monitor has the 2D cockpit view.

If this is what you want to do, all you need to do is connect your two monitors to one video card. Your 8800GTX, for example, has two outputs and all you do is connect one monitor to each of the outputs. With the two monitors connected to the one video card, you then configure DualView. Once you have DualView setup, start FSX and use the View Mode menu to set up whatever views you want on each monitor.

....Noell

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.8GHz
    CPU HSF: Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    2GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-6400 @ DDR2-1000 & 5-5-5-15
    EVGA 8800 GTS KO ACS3 640MB OC'd @ 650MHz Core & 1.85GHz MEM (Driver: Nvidia WHQL 163.71)
    Monitors: Samsung 215TW (Primary) & BenQ FP71G+ (Secondary)
    1 X 36GB WD Raptor
    2 X 74GB WD Raptor RAID 0
    1 X 250GB WD Caviar (2500KS)
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    Antec P180B case

Different makes of card can be used in the way you require. Have you enabled both screens in Display Manager?

I was trying to use both video cards
    One Nvidia 8800 GTX and other 8600 GTS
    But no success
    Even if I disable one in system devices, say the 8600, I get no display on just main monitor from 8800, which is strange!!

I've aslo read at Dell Forums the same thing that I need to have both video cards the same make and model.
    But I will check what else one of you guys suggest.

Thanks

Phil

Unless Dell is different, you definitely do not have to have identical video cards EXCEPT when you want to run in Sli mode.

FWIW - at one time I had an 8800GTS and a 7900GTX both working in the same system.

Microsoft has a guide on configuring multiple monitors that may help you out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307873

And here's another:
    http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2904.html

....Noell

Thanks Noell, I check out those pages.

But I do wonder being a Dell system, like it's ram modules, they have to be in pairs of the same type and size, so I wonder if same applies to Video Cards.

I may have to ring them, I do have 3 years onsite same day warranty conract. To get it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak as there is nothing in manual saying it.

Other issue is, with the 8800 GTX card it has to have both power leads connected to it, the black plugs.
    And if I do this, there is no spare one for another card, I guess I can get another one, but would have to figure out where to connect it, inside the unit, does anyone know?
    Cheers
    Phil

Yes that is what I want and I will have at this stage use the other DVI output of 8800 video card.
    I', going to put view left from isnide 3d or 2d cockpit, (
    because FSX ATC chat window is a pain if you have it open, as either the keys I have set on keyboard for views from inside cockput or my toggle hat on joystick does not do as I want them do, as the keyboard buttons, for example home for view fwd left etc, if ATC window is open, and I press Home button on KB, it just moves text inside the ATC window. FS9 didn't do this, Anyway this is another issue.)

Thanks
    Phil

Hi Phil,

Run just the 8800GTX to run both monitors.

It has more than enough power to do so, and by trying to install the second card, You'll run into more problems than You will see benefit.

Randy Burton

Hi Randy ( hey my brother is called that)

Yes I am, but this is interesting unless it's because of the Accerlation Pack.
    I'm getting lower fram rates with the 8800 card, which is 756mb compared to the 8600 card which is 256mb.
    Although Vista rating score did improve from 5.6 to 5.9 for video

I have to test this, but I reckon Vista took more ram to use this card, does that sound right ? Any Vista users around?

Guess I put the 8600 card back in and take out 8800 and see what frame rates I get and what RAM Vista is showing.
    I know with Vista that it won't show the whole 4gb I have installed, but to only show 2.8gb being avaliable seems wrong!!

Cheers
    Phil

Right. - Keep in mind Phil, You WILL take a performance hit by running 2 monitors.

FPS is mostly influenced by the CPU and not the GPU (Video card), but You should see a slight increase in FPS and a big increase in display QUALITY and smothness, using the 8800 GPU.

Test each Card at MEDIUM DISPLAY and equal display Sliders to compare to one another. - You can not run full right sliders with any rig as of right now. No one can. Of coarse the 8800 will out perform the 8600 if supplied with enough power from Your power supply. Do NOT run any other hardware or fans on the power line that hooks to the 8800. - only the card on that line, nothing else.

After testing You should be able to go near far right with all sliders EXCEPT Traffic and AI generated scenery. Keep them on low.

Then set Your display resolution high (match Your resolution that's best for each monitor, then crank up anti-aliasing and filtering using the nVidia control panel, lock your frame rates around 30 FPS, and enjoy the show !

FSX is leaps and bounds ahead of FS9 in quality of display and smoothness, if ran on a competent rig that is set up correctly.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast