Thread: Programming XBOX Controller

Default Programming XBOX Controller

My joystick died and I needed to get something new and decided to go multipurpose and bought an XBOX Controller for Windows to use in FS9 and FSX. so far I like it but I am not fond of how the cockpit view works using the right joystick. When you release the stick the view swivles back to the front. Is anyone else using this controller? And if so how have you got it set up? And is there a way to adjust the null zones on the joysticks so that they will change a setting and leave it there.

Default RE: Programming XBOX Controller - How to

OK. I found the answer, finally. Apparently the Microsoft drivers for the controller are bad, i.e. not a whole lot of functionality. Not surprising considering they have to make them generic enough to work on a base line system as well as a bleeding edge machine as well. Still

There is a third party driver called Xbox Controller Driver (XBCD) at: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html that allows you much more control over re-mapping the buttons, triggers, D-Pad and Joysticks. It also enables the rumble features.

There is also a very detailed set of instructions on line for how to install and set up your gamepad if you choose to go this route. http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

I have only had a few minutes to get it installed and done some basic set up, but it seems to do what I want with the D-Pad. The movement isn't as smooth using the D-Pad but when I point the camera somewhere, it stays there.

Now I have to reprogram the X- Y axies to run the flaps and rudder trim. I am much happier now that I have some real control over my controller.

Default RE: Programming XBOX Controller - How to

And it goes on and on.

I want to use this controller for both FSX and FS9 so I want to set it up the same way for both. FS9 seems to ignore the right joystick for anything other than x - y rotation, i.e. rudder left right, or elevators up and down. I want to be able to use it in both games to look around quickly when I need to (This is default in FSX) and I also want to use the Dpad to lock my POV where I point it. So I can look at a specific point on the ground or in the cockpit and still steer and use the other controls. When you release the right joystick your POV snaps forward.

I have been playing with both the MS drivers, which are very limited, they don't even allow you to adjust the dead zone on the sticks, and the XBCD driver which is good but seems to be a tiny bit unstable on my machine at least.

Has anyone had any luck using this controller and how do you have it programmed for use?

I’ve had recent experience with this. I have a Nvidia Shield controller. It works fine except that there are no default controls mapped. I borrowed an Xbox controller from a friend and documented the mappings from it, I then added these mappings to my Shield controller…quite an arduous task. So I recommend the purchase of an Xbox controller. Also be aware that the Xbox 360 controller uses a proprietary USB connector cable and does not support Bluetooth. Get the Xbox 1 or Series X controller, save yourself alot of work. BTW the default mappings for the Xbox controller make using the Drone camera a treat. I’ve made a PDF of these mappings I’d like to share if I can find a forum that let’s me upload the file.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmythman View Post
    I’ve made a PDF of these mappings I’d like to share if I can find a forum that let’s me upload the file.

Try mega.io
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.