Thread: Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

Default Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

I can only run FS9 in default screen resolution, ( 800 X 600 X 32 ), if I want to see any of the available aircraft depicted on my selection screen. If I increase my screen resolution to any other setting above this lowest setting of 800 X 600, my selection screen goes black, and shows me no aircraft at all. I have to make my selections based on the written descriptions of the available aircraft, ( not a visual depiction, because there are none shown). The selection screen goes black. It took me more than a week, and more than 20 un-installs, followed by re-installs to narrow down the culprit, "screen resolution", but I still don't know how to solve this problem, ( other than to run FS9 constantly, at the default screen resolution setting of 800 X 600 X 32 ). That's unacceptable to me. I'm used to running FS9 at 1600 X 1200 X 32, with all systems working properly within the program. This is a "unique" little glitch, with a unique solution, I'm sure. Can someone assist me with this? It's probably an FS9 config. setting, or something. Thank You very much..........

I fly "real" airplanes, but on my computer, I need HELP. I'm not a wizard on the computer, but I'm trying to learn. Make your expanations simple for me PLEASE. Thank You so much. I appreciate all your help.

Default RE: Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

Hi Russell,

Sounds more like a problem with your videocard driver.

If it were a problem with the fs9.cfg, then deleting it and allowing fs9 to build a new one at startup would resolve the problem.

IAN

3. Default RE: Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

There's a known issue with nvidia display drivers that'll cause your aircraft selection screen to go black like that when you have anti-ailiasing over 4X switched on in the driver settings. I didn't know 800x600x32 would make any difference though. If this is the case in your situation you should be able to drop back to windowed mode (ALT+ENTER) before you go into the select aircraft menu and your planes should show up.

Alternatively you can turn down anti-ailiasing in the card settings, but I've had problems with FSNav taking forever to populate the map with any setting other than "Off" or "8xS".

I just live with it and select my aircraft "blind", or if I need to see the previews for some reason I'll switch to windowed mode first.

Jim

Default RE: Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

OR, you can go into Window mode (hit alt and enter) and you will see the planes.

It is a Nvidia problem, and is does have something to do with 4x anti-lasing.....

Just go to window mode

hobbitrocks

I concur with the last two replies.

Either I select blind because I know what I'm selecting or quickly switch to windowed mode and back again.

IAN

Thank You everyone for your expert help and assistance. It was the "anti-aliasing" settings of my Nvidia 7800GTX, SLI configured, video cards. Now that you've told me, seems like I remember hearing about this "issue" before, ( but maybe I'm just imagining I'd heard about this before ). Anyway, thank you all, so very much. I'm wiser now, ( and a lot happier ).

I fly "real" airplanes, but on my computer, I need HELP. I'm not a wizard on the computer, but I'm trying to learn. Make your expanations simple for me PLEASE. Thank You so much. I appreciate all your help.

7. Default RE: Black screen. No aircraft shown on selection screen, prior to flights..........

I have found another solution, which may or may not work for you, depending on your card and resolution.

I have installed nHancer ... http://www.nhancer.com/ ... and run the 16x Anisotropic and 16xS + Combined AA settings and have finally resolved the nVidia screen issues.