Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Book about FS9

Default Recommendation on Book about FS9

This is my first day with MS2004 and would like to know if you think a book like "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight: Official Strategies & Secrets" would help me learn this 'game?' This is the URL for Amazon.com http://tinyurl.com/5wmeo

Do you know of any others that you think would help?

15,000+ airports in the database and Aspen is not one of them... Is there anywhere on the web to buy and download other airports?

I'm using a Dell 9200 and a sidestick called Logitech Attack3, if that matters.

Thanks for your time.

FYI - The Sikorsky S-76 simulator in Palm Beach is easier to fly than this LJ45 program!

Default RE: Recommendation on Book about FS9

If this is your first time with Flight Sim then yes, it would be worth it to get the book. If you had a previous Microsoft Flight Sim than it's not worth it IMO.
    Dell XPS720 Red | Core2Quad [email protected] | 2GB DDR2 800Mhz | 500GB 7200RPM | 768mb GeForce 8800GTX | X-Fi | TV Tuner | 2407WFP-HC | Vista Ultimate

Yes, this is my first time with any computer sim.

Thanks

The only flightsim guide I thought might be useful was the one released for CFS2.
    For the technical aspects of the sim, an Internet forum like this one will teach you more than any book will.
    What I have found useful, however, are real life flying books. Most bookstores or libraries will have a selection of books about instrument flight, ground school, etc., that are as applicable to flying on a computer as they are for real world pilots.
    So, imho, I say save your money, spend time in the forums and use the Learning Centre included with FS9. That way you'll have some bucks saved for a good payware addon.
    Cheers
    Blair
    CYOW

Thanks to all for the help!

Blog Entries

>15,000+ airports in the database and Aspen is not one of
    >them...

Aspen Colorado, KASE is alive and well in my copy of FS 2004.

I agree with N700MS above. Nothing new is in the book. This forum will help more and it is free. Any questions, just ask. Have fun!

Aspen Colorado, KASE is alive and well in my copy of FS 2004.

This is what happens when you get old and type in KSAE instead of the correct one.

Thanks

Every bit of information you can get your hands on during the learning process is important. The book is listed at retail $19.95 USD. I am not a big supporter of Microsoft "published" User Manuals. I have a copy of their Windows XP Manual, $39.99 USD which is very impressive in it's presentation but absolutely useless otherwise. (My opinion) The Flight Simulator 2004 manual is equally well presented and can be best viewed as an "overview" of FS 2004 and it's capabilities. If nothing else it WILL give you some idea as to "what questions" to ask in the Forums. At the forums, the learning "never" stops. SPOFF

PS: For $13.59, I'd buy it again.

Hi!
    Here are three textbooks you can download for free. They are not flightsim orientated, but are used in realworld training and are FAA approved. BUT!!! They are not "difficult". On the contrary, very easygoing, straightforfard and abundant with illustrations. They deal with...everything... principles of flight, flight instruments, weather theory, navigation, different engines,aircrafts... truly everything!
    It's a 50 Mb download in .pdf, so it's a breeze to print them in A4 format.
    My VERY VERY warm reccomendations!!!!!!!

"Handbook of Genral Aeronautical Knowledge"
    "Airplane Flying Handbook",
    "Instrument Flying Handbook",

http://afs600.faa.gov/srchFolder.asp...aininghandbook

I'm sure you'll enjoy the reading! ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast