Thread: Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

Default Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

Apologies to the Dreamfleet Conference Readers. I started the thread there when I mean to start it here.

Hi, all. This has been bothering me for awhile, but has reached critical mass enough for me to seek community aid.
    Often times, I'll load a saved flight and FS appears to have locked the active runway to whichever one is normally prefered in a no-wind/IFR situation (mostly an ILS equipped runway). When weather is loaded (either FS or AS2004) that includes wind that is not aligned with said runway, nothing changes. I've tried to force it with a 45 kt wind coming from both 90 and 180 degrees - no dice.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any known fixes?

This happens with FS 9.1 (CD and otherwise ;) ) with and w/o ActiveSky 2004.5 Build 147.

doncarlos responded with the following:
    My experience is that when you load a flight with pre existing or clear weather then download real weather you have to save and re load the flight as ATC does not update the active or ils just because you change the weather...get's real frustrating after you have made a new flight plan and the phone rings aka get a beer and then I update the weather again and darn the wind changed back to flight planning again....just like the real thing in that respect..except for the beer. Also, the "ac tive rw" is not always the ILS or runway in use by FS all the time. Often if you use "go to airport" and select active rw let's say it puts you at rw 12 whereas if you check the ATS it will tell you currently landing and to r9 which is correct based on the winds in the weather downlaod...the old pilot in charge vs computer in charge

To which I replied thusly:
    Hey Don Carlos, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the active runway was still locked after repeated saves and restarts. However, I DID get something to work, and that was by advancing the situation's time several hours.
    Specifically, I advanced the sim time according to how the TAF report broke down (From 1900, Becoming 2300, Temporary 0002, etc). The first interval yielded no movement, but on the second or third TAF interval (it was late and I was sleepy), the active was finally switched to be more aligned with the wind. I'll try tonight to see if I can duplicate it and see why it worked that way.
    Any further input is appreciated.

Default RE: Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

You might of covered this - but a saved flight also saves weather - and that of course includes runway settings.

If you load the flight, and then load the weather, the runway will not change because AI traffic is already assigned to a runway.

The only time I've seen an airport change runway direction within a flight is when there is no AI traffic in the air and no traffic on the ground within 15 minutes of departure time.

Tom Gibson reports success by going into the Map and changing the aircraft heading by 1 degree to force saved flights to update.

But the basic point is that saved flights carry their runway settings forward due to the saved weather (.WX file). Those runway settings are already applied before loading any new weather.

Thanks for the input, RF.
    Turns out that I assumed that because it ddidn't say it wouldn't be problematic loading from a saved flight, that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, when I build a flight fresh it works straightaway, so I guess that's the solution.
    Sigh.
    Bit in the ##### by not fully R'ingTFM...

If you have a fully registered FSUIPC you can assign a keystroke combo to refresh the AI and active runway after a weather change has taken effect and not have to wait the fifteen minutes. I tried that tonight using ActiveSky2004.5.

The method is to assign in the keys page of FSUIPC a key combo to a Toggle AI function (not available in FS). This toggles between the value set in FS and a value set in FSUIPC which you leave at 0. This way after the FS weather engine has absorbed all the weather writes from the external program, you push the key(s) once which dumps the AI, then again and it reloads and folows the now current weather trend.

I used a model I have with a TCAS in the EHSI and while parked saw the success in using this method. I also went to the overhead view and saw the aircraft taxiing to the active. Listening to ATIS confirmed all was following the new weather writes.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team