Thread: Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

Default Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

Hello all

Just wondering if other people get a black boarder around the screen in full screen mode. The full screen is not a full screen as it was in FS 98 and W98. The monitor is a Dell which did not give the complete screen coverage until I adjusted the vertical and horizontal holds to completely use the full screen. If I run the program in a window I get more viewing area except the bar at the top and bottom. The sides go to the end of the screen on both sides.

I also put FS 98 on this computer a Dell 8400 and it does the same thing. Is it the computer, video card or XP?

Thanks

Don

Default RE: Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

Make sure you have updated MOBO controller chip drivers, i.e., Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi, NForce. Next make sure you have updated drivers for your graphics card. Third download and install directx9.0b or c from the MS Windows update site. Run the directx diagnostic, press start, run..., type dxdiag, OK. Let the diagnostics stabilize, select the display tab, ensure DirectDraw, Direct3d, and AGP are enabled. If any are grayed-out, reinstall the MOBO controller chip drivers. Run the Directdraw and Direct3d tests and note any errors.

Next, rename your fs98.cfg, fs2000.cfg, fs2002.cfg and/or fs9.cfg. Restart the respective flight simulator, let it stabilize, select a flight, and check the full screen mode. It may be that the flight simulator didn't properly recognize your graphics card. If you want to adjust the full screen mode resolution, start the flight simulator, settings, display, hardware, and set the resolution for full screen.

W. Sieffert

Thanks for the input. I do have directx 9.c.

I have run dxdiag and did not see a problem.

I will do it again. Ran it again and it all seems to be ok.

The renaming of the cfg will create them again. If that does not work is there something else. The video card is a Radeon x300.

Don

W. Sieffert

Changing the display resolution to 1024/768/32 seems to have given me the full screen from side to side--top to bottom.

If I make the resolution different them the screen viewing area is reduced top-bottom

side to side.

I did not notice the changed size as I was adjusting the display resolution changes

Don R

5. Default RE: Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

when my monitor changes resolutions, i always have to adjust the width and height of the display using the monitor's menu and buttons. i think this is completely normal.

Hi Aigean

So after you finish with FS you then go back and change the height and width of the screen for other applications you run. Such as the office suite of programs?

Don R

7. Default RE: Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

probably the biggest the black border gets is 1/2 or 3/4 inch on my 21" screen. a lot of times i dont notice it right away. however, sometimes i do, and then need to adjust the monitor accordingly. i definately don't adjust my screen everytime the resolution changes, but the size of the border certainly changes just about everytime, it's just that it usually doesnt really bother me so i don't always notice it.

try this: looking at your desktop, adjust your width and height of your screen to fit your monitor well at your current resolution. open up the display properties, click on settings tab, then change your desktop resolution a few times, hitting apply each time (don't do any width/height adjustments). you'll see the screen kind of swim around depending on what resoultion you have. when you turn back to your original resolution, the screen should still be where you originally adjusted it.

i think this is completely normal, and just the nature of how the CRT works.

Thanks for the info Aigean.

Don R

9. Default RE: Black area around screen on full screen view W XP

HI,

I use "PowerStrip" to look after different display
    settings (its a free download, I liked it so much
    I registered it). You can set any/all
    resolutions and frequencies to suit all your applications.

MickB
    HAND