Thread: Charles Schumer and the Hudson River Corridor

Default Charles Schumer and the Hudson River Corridor

I guess our illustrious senator from NY Mr. Chuck Schumer is having ADIZ envy. He is all agast at the fact that "little" airplanes can go where they want and wants the Hudson River VFR corridor closed and an ADIZ put into place. His words were "If they can do it for Washington, they can do it for New York". I guess he hasn't been reading the news and finding out that it isn't working for Washington.

Ah, Chuck, what kind of plane ran into the WTC, light plane, or airliner? You gotta love the man, he loves to spout off and get headlines, too bad he didn't think before firing off his mouth and checking out what kind of effect the ADIZ would have on TAX PAYING AND VOTING GA airports and the businesses that support them.

One of the reasons I am heading out west after being a life long upstate NYer is the attitude here that what is good for NYC is good for the state. After the first week in September, you folks can have the crippled state and local government, congested airspace, and grandstanding politicians. Good bye and it's been a slice :)

Default RE: Charles Schumer and the Hudson River Corridor

Hi Bob,
    How far "upstate" are you? (Although for a New Yorker, maybe upstate starts in Westchester :-) )
    Just curious
    Blair
    CYOW

Hello Flyinggriffin, You know many of these posts are so good and informative they just beg to be answered or commented on. Some of us some times can get into that "GREY" area. I'll attempt not to do so by agreeing with you.I too, my family and all,a total of three family's,with roots for over many generations have decided to leave this middle of NY state.We are leaving for the reasons you hinted at.
    "TIMES CHANGE" Best of luck on your new adventure. I to feel that sense of adventure,and I am looking forward to it.I am fortunate to have my kids and grand kids with me.It is they that need a better future.
    " SO LONG AND HAPPY LANDINGS " VIN:-wave

My reasons for leaving this state is only partially the goverment but as a real life pilot I get tired of being looked upon by politicians and so called "security experts" as a threat. I went through the hysteria right after 9/11 where I couldn't fly out of a local airport without putting my life at risk because of the TFRs around the nuclear powerplants. For some reason, being free to fly wherever you want, scares the suits in goverment.
    I also got tired of preheating an airplane, digging out the tiedown rings and gasping for breath after opening the doors at the end of a flight in a nice warm cockpit. A year ago in February,my flying buddy and I came back after dark from KPOU. Normal procedure when the FBO and hanger is closed is to tie the plane down outside. We spent 45 minutes chiping ice so we could use the tiedown rings. This got me thinking...there has to be a better way. :)
    For the previous poster, I fly out of KSCH and get to play in the pattern with the guys who go to the really cold spots in the LC-130s.

Hi Bob,

I'll reserve comment on Chuck Schumer, as my comments would appear as: "***** *****, *****" ;-)

We have alot of these clueless politicians out there. They are not just in NY.

If you are leaving NY, just remember, across the river here in NJ is not much better. I even wish we could trade governors with you!

Thank goodness, however, that we have AOPA to fight for us. :-)

Regards,
    [link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/Forum_Banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU.gif]"
    [font size=1][font color=blue]"Can you pilot a plane, instead of programming something to do it for you?"[/font color= blue][/font size=1]
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

A-OK on the "AOPA". Of course your correct,you can find these problems every place. Maybe in Gov. Bush's state ,the land of the hanging chad, we wont find to much ice. Although those afternoon "Lite em up storms" can prove a bit scary. I'll be ,I hope around some "Ole friendly places",IE: KVNC,KAPF,KFMY,KOBE,and my all time ,best place there is, the humble KTMH. SOO! wont say bye, rather I;ll see ya around. Regards to you Lou! VIN:-wave

Lou,

I would have to disagree to some extent about the conditions in Jersey. Under the current governor the state has purchased the development rights to a number of small airports to prevent them from being obtained by developers.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You might went to do a little more reading about all that, for at the same time they are adamant about restricting airport growth, not to mention wanting to go the route of pilot background checks (yes, that's still alive).

It's all double-talk propaganda.

We're also stuck with our anti-aviation-multi-million-dollar-restaurant-owning-sentator, Frank Lautenberg. Stop by "Frank's Waterside" some time, and drop $11 for a Martini.

McGreevy and his ilk think we don't notice, more importantly, they do not think Phil Boyer / AOPA notices, but, oh, we certainly do!

We need Tom Kean back, and we need these bozos OUT of office.

Regards,
    [link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/Forum_Banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU6.jpg]"
    [font size=1][font color=blue]"Can you pilot a plane, instead of programming something to do it for you?"[/font color= blue][/font size=1]
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

Without the AOPA the only aircraft would be commercial. Some folks say that Boyer doesn't go far enough, but in this day and age you have to walk very softly otherwise a fanatic in goverment will use fear to whip up public opinion to support their point.

What will get the public inflamed is long lines, delays and cancelled flights. If airline travel continues to pick up, it won't be long before we are again trying to fit 5 lbs of poop in the 3lb size airspace.