Thread: AIRPORT TRACTION

Default AIRPORT TRACTION

Is there a way to increase the traction of tires on runway when landing so it doesn't feel as if your sliding around on ice? I fly a RW Piper Cherokee 140 which is one of the easiest airplanes to land there is, but even it is much harder than landing in a crosswind in fs.9. You don't even need to align the plane's longitudinal axis with runway. In RW if you did that with a big crosswind factor you'd wreck or at least jerk violently torward the side of the runway. A fix for this would make fs9 and fs2002 much better landing practice.

Default RE: AIRPORT TRACTION

I agree that the landings are quite unrealistic in fs9 and it would be great if somebody knew how to improve them. However, I question why you would want to use fs9 for landing practice.

Fs9 is a good tool for learning instrument procedures, approaches, communication, and even navigational skills. But as far as how to fly or T/O or land??? I wouldn't recommend it.

Scott

I read that X-Plane 7 simulates various states of friction on runways depending on weather. Icy in winter, wet , etc.. and that these have a direct effect on how the plane reacts when it touches down and generally rolls on he tarmack.

I suspect this was a design compromise. If you made it realistic people would get frustrated with the game and give it a toss.
    Game designers very often compromise so that more people can be reached rather than cater to a tiny minority.
    In a similar vein, you can run the engine all day at full throttle, overheat it, never lean and you will not trash the engine, foul the plugs or cook the oil.

Friction is simulated in FS2004..
    Try flying around Alaska and look for a Glacier, try landing on it, it took me about 2 miles to come to a complete stand still in the cessna 172, gotta try it in the learjet sometime!!

Mark out.

>If you made it realistic people would get frustrated with the game >and give it a toss.

Yes but this is a simulator not a game, in actuallity pilots like myself would like to have something as close to the real thing as possible. To those people who would just give it a toss dont deserve to fly anyway...

Real pilots drag their tails

-Travis

So you are saying Flightsim products shouldn't appeal to everyone, just some elitest clique..

I respect your opinion, but it stinks of arrogance..

Mark out..

Hey sorry about that, didn't mean to come off that way, overall I'm rather happy with FS9 though, traction just hasn't occured to me until now, your right though, I have landed on a couple glaciers in Alaska on the sim with my Super Cub and it's fun to get the thing stopped asap!

Real pilots drag their tails

-Travis

No worries mate.

Since the point is to make a realistic it would be great if a slider was added for how aircraft perform on the ground so the difficulty level could be chosen. This would make the sim better for everybody. I think Il2fb is beginning to address this a little better than Fs9.

I mostly fly the Dreamfleet Archer in Fs9 and all other flight charcteristics are excellent.