Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reworking Panel Art: Black Becomes Black!

Default Reworking Panel Art: Black Becomes Black!

If you are experienced in creating and revising panel bitmap art for FS2002, this question is for you. My problem is that, after reworking FS2002 panels using Photoshop Elements, including copying and pasting the original black (which becomes the part you can see through when you are in the cockpit of that aircraft) back onto itself, I save the image as an 8-point bitmap and place it in my panel folder. Then I start up FS2002 and select the aircraft whose panel I've changed, to see the results. Unfortunately what happens is the black that I replaced is no longer see-through -- instead it is actually black! This happens even though I copied the original black color, and QCd it by making sure the color settings were all ZERO before saving the revised panel.

This has also happened with a 3rd party panel that I downloaded and installed, without making any changes whatsoever to the panel. So I don't think it's just me.

Any ideas? This is the exact same procedure I have been using to great success with FS2000 panel art.

Default RE: Reworking Panel Art: Black Becomes Black!

The black must be pure black (RGB 0,0,0) to be transparent.

If P.S. Elements has any automatic shading, brightness, contrast features that apply when saving or editing, they must be turned off to preserve the original color values. As noted by another poster, the value of true black (0,0,0) must be maintained fror the transparent areas such as the wind screen.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles
    Support Team

Thanks for your response. Yup, I made sure that the black was true.

Thanks for your response. I even went into the final art and verified that the black was true!

rlrcom,

Send me the bitmap, if you like.........and I'll take alook at it.

Regards,

Randy Burton [email protected]

7. Default RE: Reworking Panel Art: Black Becomes Black!

With my limited experience of panel painting, the one thing that I recall is that the very first pixel in the top left hand corner must be pure black, else all fails.

I too have retouched a panel and placed it back in the folder with the same result as you are seeing, on looking at it again in paintshop, I noticed that the very first pixel in the top left hand corner was corrupted, touched it up with pure black, replaced the panel, and fixed it.

Hope this helps.

I use "paint.exe" (formerly known as "paintbrush.exe") for it and I never had any problems (just because "paint" is too silly to make any problems... ;) ).

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to help rlrcom, with the bitmap........

I can copy and paste a 0 0 0 RGB section from a good bitmap, to his original, but it adds 2 blue hughe to the color, giving me a RGB of 0 0 2...........any Ideas?

Randy

Resave the bmp as "true color bitmap".Then change the 0,2,0 area to 0,0,0 and it should work. unfortunatly the file will be a bit larger,for example it may go from 700kb to 1200kb or something but i haven't found this to effect FR at all.
    i5 2500k / Asrock P67 Extreme4 gen3 / 8800GTS 512 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / CM hyper 212 / antec 550W / ASUS 23" VH232H / Windows 7 - 64
    FSX UTX GEX REX TEX MEX SEX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast