GMax to FS9: Some Animations Work; Others Do Not.

EngEd

Hello, All,

It's me, enged again. The Dell laptop installation of Gmax and FS9 seems to work "almost" flawlessly. BUT for the oddest failure: Some (but only some) animations don't work. For example, gear does. Control stick, rudder pedals and pilot motions work, BUT not interior throttle or pilot control of it. (The "real throttle" works fine.)

Control surfaces (ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder) do not work. But things like canopy and hatches do.

Note: I know the sensitivity of names-- things like l_aileron_key, etc. This is not the problem.

The only GMax exporting oddity occurs when a warning that MSXML4.DLL is not functioning arises. I note that the file (about 1 K) is among those in FS9. I read some things about this file on the Internet, but have no idea whether its presence or malfunction would screw up some but not all GMax animations.

I've also considered whether this Dell has sufficient hardware for this. But again, why would it handle some animations but not others?

(All this arose when my iMac27 Windows XP partition went belly up (as reported here in this forum awhile back in "Old Timer Quandary"). I'm pleased to have got this far in recreating my FS9 and GMax on the Dell, but it would be fun to have full functionality again.

Thanks for any thoughts on this animation oddity.-- Dennis

• 1 month later...
Aha. I stumbled on something of a fix for some: It seems keyed animations tend to fail (l_aileron_key, etc). However, non-keyed counterparts (l_aileron, for instance) work. It may take some axis fooling to get them right. Edited by EngEd

The only GMax exporting oddity occurs when a warning that MSXML4.DLL is not functioning arises. I note that the file (about 1 K) is among those in FS9. I read some things about this file on the Internet, but have no idea whether its presence or malfunction would screw up some but not all GMax animations.

I can't comment about the technical questions, but would just warn all to approach web sites with answers to problems about DLL files and the like. At best, they are guessing as to the solution and simply hoping you will download a piece of software (of unproven efficiency/reliabilty) to scan your computer for errors (and, one wonders, scan for other things that are none of its business), and at worst they will suggest you download a replacement DLL from an unknown source which could well be virus-ridden.

If in doubt, recover such files from their original source (in this case, it will be on the FS installation discs). And bear in mind the same file appears in the Windows system files, in my Windows 10 machine it can be found at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ . My one there is slightly newer than the FS one.

Records from my previous PC suggest that the file had been updated several times on there, so it may be that you need to be sure you have the latest updates.

Best regards,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!