Run Time error 481 nvalid picture

hjwalter

Hi all,

I've been using SBuilder to create more realistic looking airport/airfield ground polygons for years and without any problems but now suddenly I get "Run Time error 481 invalid picture" messages at the moment that I select the preferred new ground texture itself.

I'm (still) using Win7 but when I read about the problem on the internet, it looks as though the problem is related to some kind of internal Windows(7) problem and seems to definately not be a simple one.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem ?

Regards

Hans

Hi all,

I've been using SBuilder to create more realistic looking airport/airfield ground polygons for years and without any problems but now suddenly I get "Run Time error 481 invalid picture" messages at the moment that I select the preferred new ground texture itself.

I'm (still) using Win7 but when I read about the problem on the internet, it looks as though the problem is related to some kind of internal Windows(7) problem and seems to definately not be a simple one.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem ?

Regards

Hans

Hi Hans,

It looks as if there isn't enough temporary disc space available for the action you are undertaking - see Error 481: Invalid Picture - Microsoft Support

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi there John,

After busting my brains for hours, while dreading the prospect of having some kind of structural Windows7 issue, I suddenly remembered my blurry problem from not too long ago and where my "solution" was to systematically convert all my scenery (related) textures to DXT1.

Well, my blurries were certainly gone but it turned out later that some textures evidently did not like being converted in this way and needed to be re-set back to their originals.

One of these texture series, namely the one used by the SBuilder program itself, now turned out to also dislike being converted and which now caused my "delayed action" and completely unexpected run-time issue. I re-installed it's original textures from my backup and PRESTO !! Problem solved and a huge sigh of relief on my part.

Thanks for your reaction, which did in fact did put me on the right track.

Hans

Hi Peter,

For batch converting DXT3 textures to DXT1 I've been using the freeware CONVIM program, which has many possibilities. Take care though and make sure you've safely backed up the to be converted texture folder contents before letting CONVIM "do it's thing" on them. Also be aware that not all DXT3 textures actually like being converted, most likely as the result of very specific processing methods used by their respective BGLs and that strange color issues can therefore be the result with some of them.

E.g. In my FS9 I had also converted my huge main texture folder but afterwards I needed to restore all textures beginning with "sky....." from my backup.

Even if no problems are seen directly after conversion, it remains strongly adviseable to keep your backups for a few weeks because of possible "delayed action" problems.

Good luck and take care.

Hans