Even After Over Two Years . . .

. . . they have failed to fix what are, to me at least, three incredibly annoying defects of MSFS:

(1) When I save a flight, the navigation settings are lost. So if you were bound for an airport or waypoint, the sim doesn't know that when you load the saved flight; you have to reenter the destination. And good luck with that if you were following a flight plan with numerous waypoints!

(2) Also, you can't change the flight conditions in a saved flight: like weather or time of day, as you can in a non-saved flight. Why not?

(3) When you pause a flight, everything stops where it is -- except the time!

How hard could it be?

The sim is developed for Xbox first and is PC-compatible second. The Xbox Series X|S has an "instant resume" feature where you can quit one game, play something else, then go back to the first game and carry on from EXACTLY where you left off. There's no equivalent on PC and never has been, so PC simmers lose out. Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes these are annoying but they don't bother me that much. I fly every day now and always have a blast. I never flew that much with FSX..
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

As for (3) I never use the sim Pause, causes too much bother. If I need to stop for more than a few seconds I just hit ESC then Resume when I'm ready. Only thing that it maybe affects is the AI Traffic addons but as far as I can see they quickly adapt.

I do the same thing as well. Except for me, I never use ATC so pausing it does not affect me.

As for the other bugs in MSFS, every piece of software has them, and the more complex the software get's the buggier it will be :)

I just like the fact that I have found my house (the way it was in 2015 ((the year I sold my red truck which the sim still shows in the driveway, lol)). Bit out of date, but still nice in my eyes!!!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but maybe Asobo/MS will fix it sooner or later if we squawk enough. The approach and landing at the end of a (especially long) flight is the jewel of your fs experience. Except for mountains or other nasty obstructions along my path, when ATC says I'm cleared to land, I'd like to be about 3k feet agl and 10 miles out instead of at 10k feet and over runway threshold.

The sim is developed for Xbox first and is PC-compatible second. The Xbox Series X|S has an "instant resume" feature where you can quit one game, play something else, then go back to the first game and carry on from EXACTLY where you left off. There's no equivalent on PC and never has been, so PC simmers lose out.

Sorry, this was released for the computer FIRST. You're wrong!

To quote WINDOWS CENTRAL:

Microsoft Flight Simulator launches on August 18, 2020, exclusively for Windows PCs. The title debuts on both Steam and Windows 10's own integrated Microsoft Store, which is available in three flavors ranging from $60 to $120 for additional planes and airport upgrades. By now, you've hopefully glanced over the PC requirements too, making sure your machine is up to scratch

Again, quoting WINDOWS CENTRAL

During the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase at E3 2021, it finally happened: Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox officially releases on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Game Pass for consoles on July 27, 2021. Microsoft Flight Simulator is, of course, already available on PC and Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Edited by RI_Red

Yes it was released on PC first, but it's not developed for PC first. For example, it's developed for use with an Xbox controller which is why you have to go into the Accessibility settings and change "locked" to "legacy" if you want to use a 3-button mouse on your PC as you did with previous sims. The word "legacy" refers to "software or hardware that has been superseded" according to the online dictionaries. Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

As for (3) I never use the sim Pause, causes too much bother. If I need to stop for more than a few seconds I just hit ESC then Resume when I'm ready. Only thing that it maybe affects is the AI Traffic addons but as far as I can see they quickly adapt.

Right. So do I. That STILL does not stop the clock!

I admit this is not as big a deal as (1) and (2), because you can always pull down the flight conditions menu and slide the time of day back to where it was. Unless, of course, you're in a saved flight.

Yes it was released on PC first, but it's not developed for PC first. For example, it's developed for use with an Xbox controller which is why you have to go into the Accessibility settings and change "locked" to "legacy" if you want to use a 3-button mouse on your PC as you did with previous sims. The word "legacy" refers to "software or hardware that has been superseded" according to the online dictionaries.

Having support for the Xbox controller doesn't mean much as FSX had Xbox 360 controller support out of the box too. Asobo and Microsoft have been clear that MSFS was developed and targeted for the PC first, with Xbox development coming later. Features like VR are PC only, and wasn't trivial to develop.

As for the pause feature, it appears that Asobo adopted the so-called active pause functionality from real world level-D simulators, which does seem to have its uses. The real issue is the lack of the traditional pause we're used to in previous sims.

The sim is developed for Xbox first and is PC-compatible second. The Xbox Series X|S has an "instant resume" feature where you can quit one game, play something else, then go back to the first game and carry on from EXACTLY where you left off. There's no equivalent on PC and never has been, so PC simmers lose out.

My bold.

Though this might not have ever been done by MSfor its simulators, its common on other games and has been almost from the onset of PC gaming

Features like VR are PC only, and wasn't trivial to develop.

I'm sure Xbox Studios are monitoring that very closely - is it attracting enough new players to the sim, is it drawing too many players away from the Xbox, do third-party developers find it easy to work with etc. XBox Game Studios could be forced (by Microsoft) to drop VR support if they're not getting a sufficient return on their investment.

As for the pause feature, it appears that Asobo adopted the so-called active pause functionality from real world level-D simulators

The quick resume feature I'm talking about is built-in to the XBox console:

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-use-xbox-series-x-quick-resume

Because this feature is built-in to the XBox, it seems that a Save function for PC is either not required or not compatible with XBox.

Though this might not have ever been done by MS for its simulators, its common on other games and has been almost from the onset of PC gaming

I've been PC gaming since the MS-DOS days and I've NEVER seen anything like the XBox Quick Resume feature - it's a completely different thing to Autosave.

Edited by tiger1962

I'm sure Xbox Studios are monitoring that very closely - is it attracting enough new players to the sim, is it drawing too many players away from the Xbox, do third-party developers find it easy to work with etc. XBox Game Studios could be forced (by Microsoft) to drop VR support if they're not getting a sufficient return on their investment.

I'm sure Microsoft is monitoring VR support, as they would with all other features. Looking around elsewhere, I don't think it's going anywhere and, if anything, I suspect Microsoft will be more likely to change their stance on VR support with their consoles than drop VR on the PC.

The quick resume feature I'm talking about is built-in to the XBox console:

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-use-xbox-series-x-quick-resume

Because this feature is built-in to the XBox, it seems that a Save function for PC is either not required or not compatible with XBox.

And I was referring to the active pause in the sim. As the sim was developed first for the PC, I doubt the Xbox console quick resume feature was the primary driver, if it was a factor at all, in not including the traditional pause feature in the PC version. The complexity of saving all factors for a flight was probably a larger issue, both for pausing and saving, with developing a new flight sim.

This continues to be bandied about by people who aren't getting exactly what THEY want. So I'm curious where the proof of his is beyond "The sim doesn't do what I want it to do right now." If anything it's a balancing act but we PC simmers are getting the best of the program and will continue to do across the board. If you want the best experience you'll play on PC. If it were truly an Xbox game the reverse would be true, no?

James M

Director Ohio Valley Golden Age A Golden Age Regional Airline Simulation

Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS Prime X570-P, NVidia GTX 1660 Super, 32G 3200mhz, 1TB Samsung SSD, HC Alpha, HC Bravo, Windows 11

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on this, but the marketing hype is often wide of the mark when you closely examine the actual product. The fact is that Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't a PC game at all, the "PC version" is an Xbox for Windows App. Simmers choose to play MSFS on PC so that they can use their existing peripherals, most of which are not (yet) compatible with XBox. MSFS runs far better, smoother, and faster, on my XBox Series X than it ever has on my PC, and they're connected to the same Internet and the same Monitor. Edited by tiger1962

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on this, but the marketing hype is often wide of the mark when you closely examine the actual product. The fact is that Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't a PC game at all, the "PC version" is an Xbox for Windows App. Simmers choose to play MSFS on PC so that they can use their existing peripherals, most of which are not (yet) compatible with XBox. MSFS runs far better, smoother, and faster, on my XBox Series X than it ever has on my PC, and they're connected to the same Internet and the same Monitor.

that is because you have not a very good pc then, or set it up badly.

you have really quite a few things wrong, but ala, who cares anyway.

it runs great on console and pc , bot on pc it has all the extra mods etc.

that quickresume feature on the xbox yes, oh so handy, it will be coming to pc too..

but it has totally nothing to do with how saves are borked on pc.

I honestly wonder what some PC simmers think is actually happening when they launch the sim and start an online flight.

If you type "credential" into the search window on your task bar, click on Credential Manager and open it.

On the "Manage your credentials" page, click on Windows Credentials and look at all the items beginning with XblGrts - I count 21 in my credentials list.

These credentials give you access to the Xbox Live servers, so that you can stream an Xbox game (in this case MSFS) down to your PC. You can do exactly the same with a Windows tablet or phone - you're still playing an Xbox game streamed from the Xbox servers, regardless of the platform.

Yes there are features in the PC version which aren't available on any other platform, and there are features in the Xbox version which aren't available on PC - but all platforms need to connect to the Xbox servers to at least launch the sim even if playing in offline mode, so don't delete the Xbox Apps on your PC or the sim won't run!

I honestly wonder what some PC simmers think is actually happening when they launch the sim and start an online flight.

If you type "credential" into the search window on your task bar, click on Credential Manager and open it.

On the "Manage your credentials" page, click on Windows Credentials and look at all the items beginning with XblGrts - I count 21 in my credentials list.

These credentials give you access to the Xbox Live servers, so that you can stream an Xbox game (in this case MSFS) down to your PC. You can do exactly the same with a Windows tablet or phone - you're still playing an Xbox game streamed from the Xbox servers, regardless of the platform.

Yes there are features in the PC version which aren't available on any other platform, and there are features in the Xbox version which aren't available on PC - but all platforms need to connect to the Xbox servers to at least launch the sim even if playing in offline mode, so don't delete the Xbox Apps on your PC or the sim won't run!

And none of that makes it any less of a PC application or more of a console application. The sim being packaged up in a different format than previous sims also does not make it a PC second/console first application. It simply means they share common underlying infrastructure. As the Xbox console has become essentially a specialized PC it has become possible to fairly easily develop applications that run natively on both.

Regarding the Xbox apps, no, you don't want to delete those, however, the same applies to Steam, Epic Games Launcher and the equivalents from other game studios. Most games from the big studios these days aren't going to run with the supporting applications and services in place. Most games rely on cloud servers to some extent these days, for some combination of DRM and online functionality. Still doesn't mean MSFS is an Xbox game console application first.

As for why it ran better on your Xbox console than your PC, I would suggest your PC specs and the optimizations and limits placed on the console version are the reasons, not because it is a console first application. For example, they had to be more aggressive with the LOD limits on the consoles, especially when running on the Series S.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/ms-flight-simulator-on-consoles-finally-a-next-gen-game-for-xbox-series-x-s/

If you really want to apply a label to MSFS, call it an Xbox platform application that is designed to run equally well on PCs and consoles and is native to both.

Amen!