Finding Steam FSX folder for add ons

michaeljulian

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly you are wanting to find where you install new Simobjects in FSX-SE...

The common default location that Steam installs all of your games to is C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\steamapps\common\

In the case of FSX-SE the will be FSX unless you chose to change it during the download and install process....after that you will find all of the root folder names, some of which then have sub folders...

The usual default folder where you place addon aircraft is called SimObjects and inside this folder you will find a number of default sub folders for various types of additions - namely:

Airplanes - ie fixed wing types - here you will find the default models that ship with FSX

Animals - the default items already stored here are associated with the default missions that come with the sim

Boats - the default items already stored here are associated with the default missions and the default AI boat traffic - ie the ferries and pleasure craft that populate the sim scenery

GroundVehicles - as per the Boats except this is the vehicle seen at airports (fuel trucks, baggage carts etc) and the cars, lorries etc that you see on the scenery rendered roads

Misc - basically some default items like 'Cargo' and 'people' models associated with the missions

Rotorcraft ie Helicopters here you will find the default models that ship with FSX

Obviously, most items that you are likely to add will aircraft models but be aware that, depending on the way in which the model has been constructed, there MAY be more to adding aircraft to the sim than just placing them into one of the folders listed above...

You may have to add files into other default root folders such as Gauges, Sound, Effects (and its Texture subfolder) and Texture folders...you may even have to edit some file entries to make them work...

Luckily MOST freeware items include installation instructions....

Regards

Brian

The info given by me and Bernard should get you there - if you can't find it then you have either not installed it correctly (unlikely given that it works) or you have changed the install location (either after the install or during the install process...)

As you have stated that it works fine using the desktop icon you could also RIGHT click on the icon and select Properties - that will show you the location of the exe file that starts FSX - this is located in the root directory of the install where you will then find the various other files and subfolders that make up the app....it makes things easy for you as the property box even has a button labelled 'open file location' that will open file explorer with file highlighted...

Another possibility, if you have installed it to the default location is that the files are being hidden due to security permissions and/or folder viewing settings - open up file explorer and select the view option from the main menu bar - then select the Hidden Items' option in the Show/Hide section...

Regards

Brian

My method to finding things in a jiffy (an actual unit of time)

1) Install Everyting.exe The setup.exe in x86 format should work fine.

2) In the search box look for the following: fsx.exe

3) When that's found right click it and navigate to the path. Bob's your uncle...or aunt. :D

Edit 2-

Choosy moms choose Jif? HA! My mom chose Great Value...

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Thanks for all your input. I have now tracked down the files I need and I hope I can begin to enjoy FSX as much as I did FS2004. All I have to do now is to find out why the individual sounds for each aircraft in the programme do not appear with each aircraft. Once again many thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all your input. I have now tracked down the files I need and I hope I can begin to enjoy FSX as much as I did FS2004. All I have to do now is to find out why the individual sounds for each aircraft in the programme do not appear with each aircraft. Once again many thanks for all your help.

DO learn more about the install routines for FSX. You are trying to run before you can walk. Sound folder is a SEPARATE entity...

• 2 months later...

I'm running on a pretty basic PC and bought FSX on steam on a whim one day. What visual add ons on steam are worth buying? I'm not looking for photo realistic just better then 2006 graphics. I'm mostly flying around California. For planes it's mostly the Grumman goose because I have a thing for flying boats. I'd prefer buying on steam for simplicity sake.