Returning To Flight Simulation In 2022

GermanGeneral17

Hey flightsim community,

I hope everybody is having a great Thanksgiving weekend.

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I also know that this might not be the ideal spot for this thread, but I am trying to cover a wider array of topics here after having read through various other threads.

Long story short, I am currently in the process of making a comeback to flight simulation. I got into flight simulation around 2012, and for about five years I would say I was very involved, flying pretty much every day on IVAO on a virtual airline, constantly looking for mods, updates and software to make my FSX more immersive, until, well, life happened. In the process of moving from Germany to the U.S my PC more or less broke and I never found the time and the resources at college to continue something that I was actually very passionate about. I have more or less been completely out of touch since then, just following the progress on Youtube dreaming about getting back to this one day.

A lot has changed since then, and it is incredible to see how far flight simulation has come in the last six years.

Being at a much different stage in life now, with the flying bug still there, it is time to make a return.

Please let me know your thoughts on my ideas:

1. Definitely set on MSFS2020. I used to be an FSX and then P3D guy, and I saw that XPlane12 will be coming, but I don't think I am budging on this.

2. Any must have add-ons or software for the MSFS2020 in your opinion that makes for more immersion? I used to fly the iFly 737 and PMDG MD-11. I remember using several airport add-ons, REX and an add-on for more realistic ground operations, I believe it was GSX. Probably going to stick to stock aircraft for a bit until TFDi comes out with the MD11

3. Once I am "back in the game", I will be flying mostly online. What is the current state of IVAO/VATSIM? Like I said, I used to be an IVAO guy, but I am leaning towards VATSIM. I remember IVAO being more Europe focused while VATSIM had more NA users, not sure if this still applies.

4. Space is limited at the moment. Until we move into our house, it will be a more confined setup. So definitely PC and monitor(s) for now, no projector (yet at least).

I was thinking a curved monitor. I was thinking either one of these:

- SAMSUNG 49” Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor, 1000R Curved Screen, QLED, Dual QHD Display, 240Hz

- 49" Odyssey Neo G9 DQHD 240Hz 1ms G-Sync Compatible Quantum HDR2000 Curved Gaming Monitor

What are your experiences with the MSFS2020 and a 4K monitor?

5. I know you are going to say that performance on the monitors above depends on my hardware. I find myself in the lucky scenario that I do not really have a set budget. I don't need to decrypt and NSA files with my new PC, I just want my setup to:

- Run MSFS2020 as high as possible with the above monitor and be relevant for bit of time before having to do this all over again.

- Add a few touchscreens and other modules for my home cockpit. How do my hardware requirements change if I eventually want to add these? Dual cards share the workload and should provide better framerates, higher resolutions etc. So should I just add these to the build right away?

Go crazy on the build, with no budget in mind:

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU:

Memory:

Storage:

SSD:

Power Supply:

CPU Cooler:

Case:

I probably forgot a lot here and did not think of everything. If so, please let me know.

I thank everyone in advance for their help and thoughts on this and wish you a great weekend.

Super excited to be back soon,

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if I can be much help, as I don't know whether you are seeking performance or bragging rights? If it is the latter, I am not much help.

First, I will start with a case. MSFS is a very thermally demanding sim! Many of the problems users have is due to the heat build, and good air flow will be essential. Antec DF700 Flux is an example of a good air flow case.

Here is a good reliable PSU. Antec Signature Series ST1000, 80 PLUS Titanium Certified. A stable PSU will make MSFS life much more enjoyable,

You will want a good large M.2 drive, MSFS moves a LOT of data, both in action and during updates. Here is a good example. WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X NVMe.

Memory. Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory.

CPU. Intel Core i7-13700K Desktop Processor.

My advice, at this stage, keep it simple!! You are only asking for trouble if you create a complex setup at this point.

The sample specs are generated on NewEgg. You could spend a lot more money, I am not sure more money will make your experience more enjoyable.

NewrRig.jpg

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Yeah, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here, still run FSX and Windows 7,, when I had my last computer built by a local guy I wanted and I7 processor. "Oh you don't need that,, blah, blah blah" so I ended up with an Athlon processor and an OK processor,, and I just play around with my aircraft, doing a roll in the 747-400,, oh I've got an F-18, YF-23, F-22, and a C-130,, my Dad was an IP in the C-130 when the school house moved from Sewart AFB to Little Rock AFB, and yeah, I moved right along with it.

You didn't read the initial post.

He says he has no budget constraint. He wants to run MSFS2020 with all settings maxed out, on a 4K monitor. His last sentence is:

"Go crazy on the build, with no budget in mind"

As to PSU, I think the minimum for that system is almost 800 watts. I chose that unit because it is very stable and I have seen very long operational life with other Antec PSU units. (My grandson is running one from a build in early 2009 at the moment).

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I know, I was being facetious. ;)

Trouble with these sorts of threads is that one could pick out parts totaling at least 5 grand. I mean, how about a dual CPU server board and whatnot, eh? Sky's the limit... LOL!

I am not sure if I can be much help, as I don't know whether you are seeking performance or bragging rights? If it is the latter, I am not much help.

First, I will start with a case. MSFS is a very thermally demanding sim! Many of the problems users have is due to the heat build, and good air flow will be essential. Antec DF700 Flux is an example of a good air flow case.

Here is a good reliable PSU. Antec Signature Series ST1000, 80 PLUS Titanium Certified. A stable PSU will make MSFS life much more enjoyable,

You will want a good large M.2 drive, MSFS moves a LOT of data, both in action and during updates. Here is a good example. WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X NVMe.

Memory. Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory.

CPU. Intel Core i7-13700K Desktop Processor.

My advice, at this stage, keep it simple!! You are only asking for trouble if you create a complex setup at this point.

The sample specs are generated on NewEgg. You could spend a lot more money, I am not sure more money will make your experience more enjoyable.

I was looking through the parts you selected - I think a cooler (a pretty good one, most likely AiO watercooling) is still needed.

Sure a big Noctua could keep the temperatures of an i7-13700K down, but an AiO (I'm thinking about an Arctic Freezer 360, if that one fits into the case) would handle this better.

Otherwise I totally agree - with no budget in mind, this is a machine to fly MSFS2020 on. For the smaller things like onboard-WiFi or RGB lightings, there are other equally good mainboards to choose from.

🛫 Flying with FSX:SE 🛬

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz // 32GB RAM // RTX 3070Ti // 1TB + 2x 2TB SSDs // 1x 8TB & 2x 4TB HDDs

peregrine-simulations.jimdo.com