Shutting down FS restarts it

beroun

Hi,

Am encountering a weird issue.

When shutting down FS9 it starts restarting itself to the initially saved default flight. Therefore I can not save a new default flight. This started happening out of nowhere, I did not add any new aircraft or sceneries.

Also it allowes me to select another aircraft but the select window looks different with black frame on the right side. Otherwise, I can save, select and fly any of my aircraft normally (including IFR) but when shutting down FS it restarts.

Any clue on what could be causing this would be much appreciated.

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Jim,

This is EXACTLY what I do and was alays doing when I wanted to save a new flifgt as a default.

BUT! now, when I save a new flight as a default, I cannot shut down the FS. When shutting it down (X) FS closes BUT immediately restarts. Only way to shut it is by Windows Task Manager or shut down the PC.

Next time I start FS it shows the default flight I saved previously NOT the new one I saved.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Maybe you should try to shut it down with CTRL+C keys.

You also might try to change the starting situation in FS9.cfg. I use following setting:

SITUATION=C:\Flight Simulator 9/Flights/other/Kloten

When I start FS over the icon, it's positioned at LSZH. In my case the saved flight generates a Traffic View Board mode.

52519457095_5af82d7a08_z.jpg

Bernard

Hi Hans, it is getting even more interesting now, since some aircraft I can now save as defaults and some not. So it looks like the problem is pointing to an aircraft. In the past I could save as a default all my aircraft.

I can fly OK, but this is morless a curiosity now to crack what is causing this. It will probably get to the point when I will say "Oh gee, why did not I think of that":)

Cheers

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Dont think so Hans

The aircraft I was able to save as a default (without the FS restarting) was AB380 with very complex panel including my own additional gauges I have installed. I am thinking that maybe the aircraft position in Aircraft.cfg has something to do with it. Some of my aircraft have up to 20 liveries? My A380 aircraft.cfg has only two.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Peter,

Just a suggestion . . . worth a try.

Revert to saving the default Cessna flight as your startup and see if that fixes things. Only then, if it does, try to save your preferred startup flight. The Cessna flight will often reset gremlins that won't go away.

Hans is right, quite a few (but not all) advanced aircraft have features that do give problems with saved flights.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi John

did that initially and default Cessna is the only flight which I can save as a default. Now also few of my other aircraft can be saved - recently I saved as default a very complex A380. Most cannot be saved though, when shutting down FS after save, FS restarts to the saved defaukt Cessna. As mentioned there are no limitations in flying, only a curriosity what could be causing this.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Thanks John

but got Log Flight Time unchecked (disabled), since I loaded FS on my new PC six years ago.

Have just realized that some posts, including this one suggest that we should always start FS with the default flight. (as you also mentioned: it will often reset gremlins)

So ironically, by this glitch I am always doing it, since I cannot save another flight as a default:)

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Thanks John

but got Log Flight Time unchecked (disabled), since I loaded FS on my new PC six years ago.

Have just realized that some posts, including this one suggest that we should always start FS with the default flight. (as you also mentioned: it will often reset gremlins)

So ironically, by this glitch I am always doing it, since I cannot save another flight as a default:)

Getting down to the nitty-gritty, what is happening to you us that something is causing FS to crash when you close the game down. It is normal for FS to restart automatically after a software crash. Therefore, I am trying to think of all the things FS does when closing. The only further thing I can think of at the moment is that a file it is trying to write to is corrupt or read-only, because FS does write to certain files at the end of a flight/closing down.

Whilst appreciating what you say about the Logbook being off, please double-check that FS isn't giving you a wrong reading by looking at your FS9.cfg. In the [MISC] section, check that the following entries read as shown below:

LOG_TIME=0

LOG_FILE=

(the content of the second one shouldn't matter if the first is at 0, but worth setting to blank to be sure).

in the [uSERINTERFACE] section, check that

SITUATION=

reads correctly to your default flight.

While there, check that file is not "read-only". (Right-click on file name > Properties)

Glance over the entire file to check there isn't any gobbledygook anywhere, which would indicate a corrupt file.

Also, check that the aircraft.cfg file for your default flight is not "read-only". Likewise check for corrupted text.

Beyond that, I am out of ideas for now, but will keep the matter in mind.

John

Hi John

MANY Thanks for all the useful info. Much appreciated! I actually printed your post and checked everything you have recommended and found no issues. All is set correctly.

On FS9.cfg file in roaming/Microsoft FS9 folder:

I am saving these periodically when FS runs well so have many saved dating back to the one I saved after the first FS2004 install. So I can now compare these.

Few things I noted in my recent one. in [FACILITIES] The Country, City and State do not match the default Cessna I got imbedded as a default, should be in Seattle, United Sates, Washington. Instead it shows in some European location I have saved at some time previously.

My current FS9.cfg has sections [MAPVIEW_MAP] and [WEATHER_MAP] which are not in the one I saved after creating the plain FS9 from discs. So brobably it all points to a location issue?

Also after copying in one of my previous FS9.cfg files (created when FS runned OK) the flight I have saved there opens, but does not load. Instead the FS restarts to the default again. In the past when I did this the FS restated to the flight I have saved in the previous FS9.cfg.

Other noted:

Interestingly I can copy any saved flight from my saved Flighs Simulator Files in Docs to the current Flight Simulator Files folder and open/fly it OK. Except cannot save it as a default. So NO issues, can otherwise fly any aircraft, anywhere OK. As mentioned, just a curiosity what could be causing inability to save another flight as adefault.

Again MANY THANKS for your efforts.

Cheers

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

On FS9.cfg file in roaming/Microsoft FS9 folder:

I am saving these periodically when FS runs well so have many saved dating back to the one I saved after the first FS2004 install. So I can now compare these.

Few things I noted in my recent one. in [FACILITIES] The Country, City and State do not match the default Cessna I got imbedded as a default, should be in Seattle, United Sates, Washington. Instead it shows in some European location I have saved at some time previously.

My current FS9.cfg has sections [MAPVIEW_MAP] and [WEATHER_MAP] which are not in the one I saved after creating the plain FS9 from discs. So brobably it all points to a location issue?

My [FACILITIES] entries are mostly blank, so I'm not sure those are pertinent to this issue. The other settings you mention are probably created during use of the game.

A few more things you can try:

There are three ways to force FS to load the default Cesssna/Seattle flight plan. If you think you have previously saved that flight in a different situation, delete it or rename it first. Flight plans are located at: C:\Users\[name]\Documents\Flight Simulator Files

1. Delete or rename your current file shown in situation= in FS9.cfg
  2. Set situation= in FS9.cfg to be empty/blank
  3. Go the whole hog and delete/rename FS9.cfg and FS will build a new one to default settings, including the startup flight. This will remove all of your customisations, but these can be systematically copied back in later.

John

Edited by johnhinson

Thanks John,

Tried all to no avail but have no restrictions, except unable to save a new default. Will fly "as is"

starting from FS default Cessna and will definitely advise if I come across the fix.

Many Thanks again,

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Thanks Tom,

will try it.

But must say that in the past I had no issues saving any new flight as a default only once. Actually now I can create a new flight and save it as a default BUT when I shut down FS (with the newly saved default) it restarts to the initial FS default (Cessna in Seattle) and only then I can shut FS down completely. So the next time I start FS it opens with Cessna in SEA and not with the new default I saved. But as mentioned no issue; because I can then (with Cessna in SEA) always select the newly saved flight.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Just a thought, Peter, I can't see anywhere where this might have been mentioned.

I assume that a) your Flight Simulator installation isn't in C:\Program Files, and b) you run Flight Simulator "as Administrator"?

I can guess your answer will be in the affirmative, but it is worth asking.

John