Shutting down FS restarts it

beroun

I'm gonna throw this out there, since no one else at this point has; when was the last time Windows updated itself on the Computer you're having difficulties with? (I presume Windows still does that via the Web)

Perhaps it's something with a recent Update that is causing the issue, since Peter (the OP) mentioned that it's not something with an add on like Scenery or a new Airplane.

:pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi Alan,

Yes my W10 is updating automatically and is with the latest update. I am bit reluctant to to go back to previous update since it could act elsewhere.

In either case, as I mentioned, I am OK 'as is' without being able to create another custom default flight. Regardless what I do the FS always shuts down and starts with the FS default flight (Cessna in SEA), which is recommended anyway.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

No worries, Peter!

Just trying to eliminate any variables. Sometimes you just have to live with the workaround.

When it miraculously changes back to the previous state without any intervention from you... then I'd start to think whether there be gremlins inside your box! :p

In the meantime fly safe, and MOCHA HAGOTDI :D

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi Alan, John, Tom,

Thanks, after all advises below, the snag I have is still the same, so as Alan mentioned, hoping for the gremlins to resolve it:)

As a benefit to those who might look at this post and the below attempts to fix it, here is the quick summary of what I can/cannot do:

CAN DO:

Start FS to default Cessna at SEA - NO ISSUE (always starts to the Default see CANNOT DO below)

Select previously saved flight and fly it - NO ISSUE

Save new flight anywhere, any time, any of my aircraft - NO ISSUE

Create Flight Plan with any flight and fly IFR or VFR - NO ISSUE

CANNOT DO:

Save new flight as a default because:

After saving any new flight as a default it restarts FS to the Default Cessna in SEA.

BUT then after this new restart I can select any previously saved flight and fly it OK. When shutting this flight down though, the FS restarts again to the Default Cessna.

So basically I am not able to save any new flight as a Default.

Cheers and thanks to all again!

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

It’s a windows 10 thing. Not sure if 7 did it.

All my fS9’s restart again after closing it.

It may be happening on some Windows 10 setups but certainly not all.

Has anybody here with the problem checked Event Viewer? That will normally log which DLL in FS caused the software to crash, which is a good pointer to the cause.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

For me:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Processor Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 3.10 GHz 2cores

Installed RAM 16.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Nvidia Gforce 940MX

FS9 resides on hard drive C:\FS2004

All functioned well for number of years until recently. As mentioned in my below posts.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Mark,

No change for me when NOT running as admin.

Any FS shutting down from newly saved flight or from existing saved flight (whether checking default or not checking default) restarts the FS to the default Cessna in SEA preventing me from saving a new flight as a default. NOTE: The newly saved flight stays in the selection though and can be selected!

As mentioned no issue flying, any preiously saved flight after firing up FS and after it always opens to default Cessna.

My process now.

Start FS - Always to the default Cesna in Seattle (unavoidable)

Select the previously saved flight or any aircraft I have at any airport, any time.

Mostly also downloading the wether (FS RealWX)

Creating the flight plan.

Take-off, ATC directions, approach, landing all OK.

Cheers

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Mark,

Have considered a totla FS9 reinstall. But worked on it for years adding the aircraft and sceneries, including the payware so am bit reluctant to do it. But maybe it will come to it. In the meantime, I can fly OK.

My previous total reinstall post:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?294277-FS2004-Complete-Reinstall&highlight=FS9+Total+Reinstall

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Must post Alan's coment below:

"When it miraculously changes back to the previous state without any intervention from you... then I'd start to think whether there be gremlins inside your box!"

Exactly what happened!!! No more restarts after shut downs. Out of nowhere my FS9 started to behave absolutely normally.

So probably the Gremlins in it, as Alan mentioned.

Cheers

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

AAAHAAAAHAAA! ;);)

It had to be something simple, Peter! :D

They're in there, mucking up the works! Sometimes my Select Aircraft screen is slightly darker than at other times. I didn't touch a thing.

​(proud Niner and content with 20 fps...)

Edited by ViperPilot2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

my screen sometimes darkens also, out of nowhere. So definitely gremlins. Otherwise, all my FS functionality is still OK.

Also wander about the addiction to FS, without at least two flights daily, my day would not be complete and I would probably be miserable:)

Cheers,

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways