Returning to Flight Simulation

FLighT01

Hello All,

After a hiatus of almost 6 years I am returning to flight simming. I've done some flights over the past 5 years but only sporadically whereas before then I was almost flying daily. I started simming with FS98 in 1998 and upgraded to each new release up to FSX which I felt really was fun and immersive to fly.

My 2012 vintage Jetline is woefully inadequate and has lost its OC. I have a ton of Orbx and Aerosoft, and A2A, and a full line up of CH and Track IR hardware on it but I now have the options of P3D and MSFS2020, and a lot of investigation and reading to get caught up on.

I will be downsizing and moving to a retirement community this coming April and will get a new PC to get back up in the air again next summer. First order of business will be which platform to go with. The PC will be easy, the best new Jetline I can afford at that time.

So, I start again.

Your choice of P3D vs MSFS2020 depends a great deal on what you prioritize and how much you will tolerate the learning curve to move to MSFS2020. First, the world environment in MSFS2020 is unlike anything you have seen before, stunning does not do it justice. Almost any landmark present since ~2018, will be identifiable in MSFS2020, including your own home. Topography has a much more 3D look and is hugely more like the real world. The aircraft in MSFS2020 are beautiful as well. The choice of aircraft in MSFS2020 is still quite limited in comparison to P3D. Keep in mind, MSFS2020 is a completely new software, and as such does not work like any of the FS2000-FSX versions. There is a dramatic learning curve. On the other side, the amount of data used by MSFS2020 is gynormous compared to P3D. Most of that data is stored in the cloud, and requires a good internet connection to run. Just as a ballpark comparison, while P3D will fit on a modest HD drive, it would take hundreds of the largest HD drives to hold the data MSFS2020 uses. To run MSFS2020 well, you really need a M.2 drive of 1 TB or larger. If you like to fly aircraft like the C152 and the Robin, MSFS2020 has excellent flight models for those. The flight models on other aircraft may be less accurate? If you like to fly regional turboprops, there isn't much available in MSFS2020 yet. Another factor, is your tolerance for massive updates. While P3D will install as is, MSFS2020 will require mandatory updates every few months, that are hours in download time. I have FSX, FS2002, X-Plane 11, and MSFS2020 on this computer. I spend 99.5% of my flight time in MSFS2020!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Check with the powers that be at the Community where you're heading, and inquire about the quality of their Internet service; if you go with MSFS2020, you're gonna need a robust Data stream that can handle the Bandwidth those TB sized Updates could be. Once you get settled in and your Sim up and running, don't be surprised if the IT guy for the Community starts asking ?'s about why your Internet usage is so high... :p

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 6 months later...

I am returning to the world of flight sim after a 15 year lapse. I have a modern computer with Windows 11, 16gB RAM and 1TB SSD. I loaded up my old MS 202 which runs but when I select Flight the screen goes blank. I have tried the comparability function in Windows but no luck.

Can this be fixed or should I upgrade to MSFS 2022. If I did how difficult is this to set up and use for a computer average user who is not a computer nerd (no offence intended).

John P

• Founder

If "MS 202" was actually FS2002" mis-typed, then you are certainly due for an upgrade.

Any flightsim has a learning curve to fully understand all it can do, and MSFS 2020 is no exception. But it's also been designed to appeal to people beyond the hard-core flightsimmer and really is not especially difficult to install--mostly just time-consuming because of the large size.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, plainsman said:

Most of that data is stored in the cloud, and requires a good internet connection to run. .... you really need a M.2 drive of 1 TB or larger. ....require mandatory updates every few months, that are hours in download time.

Dealbreakers for many.

At this rate MSFS2025 will require a pair of diplexed nitrogen cooled Crays in the basement with a solid fiber optic connection to the nearest downlink.  Buying your own aircraft and learning to fly will be cheaper.

1 hour ago, jgf said:

Dealbreakers for many.

At this rate MSFS2025 will require a pair of diplexed nitrogen cooled Crays in the basement with a solid fiber optic connection to the nearest downlink.  Buying your own aircraft and learning to fly will be cheaper.

While I agree that the online requirements are an issue for some, I disagree on the hardware side. One could certainly go out and buy the fastest, most powerful hardware around to run the sim, but it is not needed to have a good experience.

Great advice above about checking on what your internet connection will be. Without wanting to start an XP versus MSFS debate (please NO!) I am a long-term, life-long simmer and RL recreational pilot. I now use MSFS exclusively mainly because of the great eye-candy. I also believe any advantage XP may have over MSFS is only temporary as MSFS continues its impressive continuing development. I operate MSFS from two homes with pretty ordinary PC and internet speed (but unlimited data) without any problems. But get the biggest and best PC you can to allow for future growth of the Sim. But this is only me. Good luck with the move. Cheers.