In NYC - Need help settting up FS 2020

Hi All,

Despite having LOVED FS2004 (and actually flying my own C-150), I am having so much trouble setting up the fundamentals of FS 2020 that I am not able to get it off of the ground. Are there any good hearted NYC-local Flight Simmers out there that could provide some hands on assistance to this Flight Simmer on Manhattan's UWS? Dinner will be gratefully provided (Really!).

Many thanks.

While I am not from NYC (Fla), might I suggest looking on You Tube for some suggestions? There are a LOT of videos on a variety of MSFS subjects.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi David,

Thanks for your note. I have, in fact, attempted to follow the recommendations of a number of well-meaning You Tube contributors but invariably something doesn't work. In fact, I suspect (I don't know for sure.) that the combination of all of those offerings has contaminated the MSFS 2020 programming environment and that the only way to possibly get it off of the ground will be to clear it all out and reinstall it. One thing is for sure: It is a LOT easier to fly my actual 150 than to get this MSFS 2020 off of the ground. Thanks again,

Jesse

If you think that the settings (guessing) have messed things up, then you can always reset them to default, and then start over. Unless I am on the wrong track.......
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi All,

Despite having LOVED FS2004 (and actually flying my own C-150), I am having so much trouble setting up the fundamentals of FS 2020 that I am not able to get it off of the ground. Are there any good hearted NYC-local Flight Simmers out there that could provide some hands on assistance to this Flight Simmer on Manhattan's UWS? Dinner will be gratefully provided (Really!).

Many thanks.

Hi Jesse,

We're all here to help a fellow enthusiast, so perhaps a home visit is not necesarry or even advisable.

So what's the problem exactly?

Something to keep in mind:

As you've probably discovered by now, this sim works completely differently to the previous sims. It's best to make peace with that fact and not assume anything will work the same or be in the same place. I made this analogy in a previous thread: This sim is as different from FSX/FS2004 as Windows 10 is from Vista, since they're from the same respective eras.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Hi Jesse,

We're all here to help a fellow enthusiast, so perhaps a home visit is not necesarry or even advisable.

So what's the problem exactly?

Something to keep in mind:

As you've probably discovered by now, this sim works completely differently to the previous sims. It's best to make peace with that fact and not assume anything will work the same or be in the same place. I made this analogy in a previous thread: This sim is as different from FSX/FS2004 as Windows 10 is from Vista, since they're from the same respective eras.

I agree with KiloWatt. I have gotten a LOT of good advice from him, Tim and others on this sim, and I try to help out where I can.

So, ask away!

I am a bit confused by your metaphor? By "I am not able to get it off of the ground", do you mean get an aircraft in stable flight, or get the sim to load, or get the sim to install?

You don't mention your system specs, but make sure you meet requirements and make sure all your drivers are up to date. Have you calibrated your controllers in Windows? Have you adjusted your controller sensitivity and null zones?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the responses that were posted. I appreciate the time and the thought that went into them. Let me more specific as to where things stand now. Per the recommendation of David, I have uninstalled MSFS 2020 - and reinstalled it. The current problem I am having is that when the program reboots, it presents with "Checking for updates" and then: ERROR You are missing packages that are essential to run Microsoft Flight Simulator. Please update the application and try again." The only option given at that point is :Quit". No indication of which "packages" are missing is given.

Some background: I am running a Windows 11 machine that in all other regards is functioning adequately. I have no problems with any other program. I just ran Malawarebytes and no viruses were found. I've run Windows Updater and that is current. I've run Disk Cleanup. I've checked language and time - all are ok. I ran Revo Uninstaller Pro and that did not make any difference. Prior to doing all of thoe operations, I disconnected the CH yoke and foot pedals. Oh - and the cache is now cleared as well. I turned the computer off and on numerous times - which has not led to a resolution of this issue?

Suggestions guys? Thanks muchly.

The current problem I am having is that when the program reboots, it presents with "Checking for updates" and then: ERROR You are missing packages that are essential to run Microsoft Flight Simulator. Please update the application and try again." The only option given at that point is :Quit". No indication of which "packages" are missing is given.

This is a system error at Microsoft's end, see the announcement below from http://www.flightsimulator.com:

"Hello everyone,

We are aware of reports from some players experiencing an error when attempting to install MSFS on PC. The error states “You are missing packages that are essential to run Microsoft Flight Simulator. Please update the application and try again.”

We have escalated this to the appropriate support team, and they are currently investigating. We will provide more information when it is available. Thank you for your patience as we work to get this resolved.

MSFS Team"

Source: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/2022-11-23-installation-error-missing-packages/559711

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

My apologies if you took my "start over" as a recommendation to reinstall. That is the LAST thing I would tell anyone to do. I know how much of a pain in the (you get the idea) it is. Even with fast Internet, it still takes a while.

I was suggesting that if you were having difficulties, it seemed that you may have misconfigured something (happens to me a lot), was to reset the in sim settings back to default, and go from there.

Not to worry David. It was a bit of a pain to watch the download/installation take place - but there is gratification in knowing that once this new update issue is resolved, I'll have an uncontaminated version of MSFS 2020. Thanks again. Now I just have to wait for the folks at Microsoft to do their thing. Disappointing in that I was hoping to "get off of the ground" this holiday weekend but it could be a LOT worse.

Take care,

Jesse

Hey Tim,

Many thanks for that info.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jesse

Oof, you may be stuck if it's a MS-side problem.

Out of interest, what are your system specifications?

It ought not make a difference, but if you've nothing else to do, install the sim in the default directory (if it isn't already) and temporarily remove the the anti-virus. Then try again. Like I said, it ought not make a difference. But you can’t get an ought from an is, as they say...

Because you've tried a bunch of things already, the nuclear option would be to reinstall windows, then install the video drivers, then the sim, and the other programs (including the anti-virus). I hate doing it, but it should eliminate 98% (don't fact check me) of user-side software related issues.

Edited by KiloWatt

Hey Kilowatt,

You did it. Thanks to you, my "update issue" has been resolved. Per your suggestion, I temporarily shut down Malawarebytes, my anti-virus program, and rebooted MSFS 2020. It loaded smoothly and without any hitches. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! We're celebrating Thanksgiving Day down here in the States. It will be enjoyable to be with family but I want you to know that you've added significantly to my day.

Thank you!

Jesse

Hey Kilowatt,

You did it. Thanks to you, my "update issue" has been resolved. Per your suggestion, I temporarily shut down Malawarebytes, my anti-virus program, and rebooted MSFS 2020. It loaded smoothly and without any hitches. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! We're celebrating Thanksgiving Day down here in the States. It will be enjoyable to be with family but I want you to know that you've added significantly to my day.

Thank you!

Jesse

It did?! Wow, I didn't think that would work, to be honest.

I'm happy it worked for you!

It did?! Wow, I didn't think that would work, to be honest.

I'm happy it worked for you!

Actually, I don't think my suggestion fixed it. It was just coincidence. I just saw the below message on the forums. Still, I'm glad for Jesse that it's now fixed.

"Hello everyone,

We are aware of reports from some players experiencing an error when attempting to install MSFS on PC. The error states “You are missing packages that are essential to run Microsoft Flight Simulator. Please update the application and try again.”

We have escalated this to the appropriate support team, and they are currently investigating. We will provide more information when it is available. Thank you for your patience as we work to get this resolved.

MSFS Team"

Actually, I don't think my suggestion fixed it.

I think it did! I quoted that announcement in this thread yesterday, and they haven't announced a fix for it yet - good call KW!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64