TDS Boeings

beroun

Hi,

TDS Boeings (2).png

curious why most of the TDS Boeings have CG way forward (see picture). This seems to cause unnatural down pitch after take off during climb. I did some tweeks in aircraft GFGs to alter this but only marginally. Actualy when I moved back static pitch in contact points too much, the aircraft fell on its tail.

But somehow I believe that TDS have a reson for this since most of their Boeings look like this?

Just curious if any clues.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

The static_pitch= setting in the [CONTACT_POINTS] section relates to how the aircraft sits on the ground. It won't affect in-air performance.

The place you need to start to move the COG is in the [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] section but you will almost certainly have to fiddle with a lot of settings elsewhere too. It isn't a five-minute job, and I would recommend much reading up on the subject before spending hours tearing your hair out.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Question... is the case with all of TDS' offerings? Sounds like major tweaking of the FDE, and it's hard to tell if any of the FDE tweaks in the File Library addresses this issue.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks Gents,

I can get by, by setting the trim to offset CG, also loading the back, so that the take-offs are reasonable. Descent and landing is a different story and usually have to adjust the pitch scalar in flaps settings to offset this, but all is just not realistic. As opposed to many of my other aircraft perfectly in balance. Therefore I am trying to avoid TDS and raised this post just as a curiosity to see what others think.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

It just might be time to make some Space in the FS9 aircraft Folder, and move some TDS heavy Iron to the Boneyard.

That'll free up a couple gigs of Storage!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231696[/ATTACH]

curious why most of the TDS Boeings have CG way forward (see picture). This seems to cause unnatural down pitch after take off during climb. I did some tweeks in aircraft GFGs to alter this but only marginally. Actualy when I moved back static pitch in contact points too much, the aircraft fell on its tail.

But somehow I believe that TDS have a reson for this since most of their Boeings look like this?

@Peter Bendl

Please see the line : wing_sweep

[airplane_geometry]

wing_area = 1341

wing_span = 117.5

wing_root_chord = 25.8

wing_dihedral = 6.2

wing_incidence = 1

wing_twist = -0.5

oswald_efficiency_factor = 0.68

wing_winglets_flag = 1

wing_sweep = 0 //25 !!! The CG Forward has to do with the Wing Sweep ... It must be OFFSET accordingly , NOTHING else

wing_pos_apex_lon = 15.0

wing_pos_apex_vert = 0

Sincerely

G.Kirschstein

@ViperPilot2

Please see the line : wing_sweep

[airplane_geometry]

wing_area = 1341

wing_span = 117.5

wing_root_chord = 25.8

wing_dihedral = 6.2

wing_incidence = 1

wing_twist = -0.5

wing_winglets_flag = 1

wing_sweep = 0 //25 !!! The CG Forward has to do with the Wing Sweep ... It must be OFFSET accordingly , NOTHING else

wing_pos_apex_lon = 15.0

wing_pos_apex_vert = 0

The TDS planes are excetionally WELL designed !!

Your comment:

"and move some TDS heavy Iron to the Boneyard." is NOT deserved for this very good designer.

Sincerely

G.Kirschstein

Hi,

@ Peter Bendl

Dear Sir,

please see line "wing_sweep"

[airplane_geometry]

wing_area = 1341

wing_span = 117.5

wing_root_chord = 25.8

wing_dihedral = 6.2

wing_incidence = 1

wing_twist = -0.5

wing_winglets_flag = 1

wing_sweep = 0 //25

wing_pos_apex_lon = 15.0

wing_pos_apex_vert = 0

The "Problem" has to do with the WING Sweep and must be corrected accordingly and NOTHING else.

NO fussing with the CG , Contact Points .... in the CFG- or even ANYTHING in the AIR-file.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Hi,

@ Peter Bendl

Dear Sir,

please see line "wing_sweep"

[airplane_geometry]

wing_area = 1341

wing_span = 117.5

wing_root_chord = 25.8

wing_dihedral = 6.2

wing_incidence = 1

wing_twist = -0.5

wing_winglets_flag = 1

wing_sweep = 0 //25

wing_pos_apex_lon = 15.0

wing_pos_apex_vert = 0

The "Problem" has to do with the WING Sweep and must be corrected accordingly and NOTHING else.

NO fussing with the CG , Contact Points .... in the CFG- or even ANYTHING in the AIR-file.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

The diagram for loading can be misleading - it is relative to the reference_datum_position, which must be taken into consideration. All the various loading, contact points and other measurements are relative to it, and does NOT have to represent a real life cg position.

I usually modify my fore/aft loads to a point slightly forward of the reference datum, make them all the same and see how it goes. Try starting out at the empty weight cg longitudinal position. That way you just increment that one longitudinal value (same for all load positions) for further improvement. I look for good flying qualities, not particularly interested in loading up 250 seats etc. in a real life scenario. I typically just combine everything in about 3 to 5 positions:

crew (pilots/ cabin)

1st class pax total

coach pax total

baggage split fore /aft if applicable

cargo as desired

I use 170 lbs per pax, 40 lbs baggage each; 250 lbs total per pilot, 200 lbs total per flight attendant. Others use 175 /55 etc.

As an example, a 5 person crew of 2 pilots / 3 cabin crew would be 500 +600 = 1100 lbs for my

station.0 = 1100, x, y, z , crew (2+3).

Anyway, whatever. You can use the same technique with fuel tanks if you care to.

It is very easy to vary your loading when starting out - your setup will be default, but changing your loading values is quick and easy in the fuel/payload screen using your assumed weight values for pax, baggage, crew.

Regarding flap pitch - too often the designer just uses the default value of 1, which is lazy or an oversight because some pitching moments are absurd. I flew for the Navy for over 20 years, including test pilot school and have an FAA ATP - never saw anything like some of the flap pitch up changes I.ve seen in some FltSim models. In fact, some military and civil aircraft have a minor nose down pitch tendency. Admittedly, there are some designs that have had a flap / elevator interconnect scheme to counter a nose up pitch.

Edited by mikeandpatty

Hi Mike,

all good points.

On the flap pitch up/down changes, I am changing this in almost all the aircraft I got by adjusting the Flaps pitch_scalar and lift_scalar in aircraft cfgs. Reducing figures pitches aircraft up, increasing down. Also Flight Tuning cruise_lift_scalar has a similar effect. So just keep landing and adjusting these to the most realistic levels. Obviously loads have a lot to do with this also. So bit of a sciance but one eventually gets it right. As we know the old props almost nose dive to the runway as opposed to the newer jets landing pitched up.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

• 2 months later...