What can I run on windows 10?

NAMVET1971

Can someone out there tell me which flight sims from microsoft will install and run on windows 10? I bought FSX gold edition and when I try to install it the program will get to the part that says removing applications and I get about 5 blue bars and it stops there and goes no further.

Thanks for any assistance.

I have not seen any flight simulator that would not run under Windows 10.

Jorgen

There are issues under Win 10 which you cannot get around that were not there for other operating systems. For most people here, they have not come across them because they don't try and use certain add-ons with certain hardware. The issues do however exist.

Mark Daniels

I haven't seen any issues myself either.

Which issues exist with which add-ons and with which certain hardware I wonder?

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

This response is for all of you that sent messages.

Mr. Zippy and all of you are correct. I did get FSM to load. As per Mr. Zippy, it took a long time (35 min) for the "removing applications" part to complete and then the rest went quickly. I entered the activation code when requested and rebooted when it was all complete.

After playing for a bit I ran the acceleration disk and it ran fine, except I never got a request to enter the activation code. I rebooted again.

Now if I click on the FSM icon on desktop to open FSM I get an error code 1-80004005 and it says an unexpected error occured that is preventing activation from being completed.

It asks if I want to see details. If I click on no the message goes away and the FSM acceleration window with the normal stiff opens and as far as I can tell, I can fly in any way I want to.

Your thought:

Hi,

If you are referring to the comments made by Mark in post #5 then yes, there are some issues with mainly older disc based payware addons...

Many of these were copyright protected using a utility called Safedisc.. as part of its function, it used a system file called SECDRV,sys...

As this file was known to be security risk in itself, when MS released Win 10 they chose not to include the file - thus disabling all CD/DVDs that relied on it...they subsequently also released a patch (KB3086255) that disabled the file in Win XP, 7, 8 and ME...

Fortunately, if you used any of the older versions it's simply a case of deleting the KB to restore the function but for Win 10 (and 11) it's a lot more complicated and there are several ways in which it can be accomplished...but ALL require edits of the Registry...

Other options include re-purchasing the digital version of the product (it one exists) or contact the product author(s) to see if they have a patch or solution or free digital update...

Regards

Brian

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fsx-acceleration-error-code-1-80004005/9ba207fb-08d5-4dd8-8252-6367c77ec720?page=2

1. run regedit (Windowskey +R)

2. Expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\CLASS\{4D36E967-

E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. After you find the folder, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.

4. Change the value from 0 to PartMgr and/or remove any other settings and then click OK.

5. Close Registry Editor

6. Start FSX/Accel and you should get the registration wizard.

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

There are issues under Win 10 which you cannot get around that were not there for other operating systems. For most people here, they have not come across them because they don't try and use certain add-ons with certain hardware. The issues do however exist.

XP12 works just fine, as it does under Win 11.

Thank you Brian and Mrzippy...I seem to remember going in to the registry to fix a lot of issues years ago when 10 first appeared on my machine.. Thank you both, I learned the fix for "error code 1-80004005."

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync