A Quandary for an Old Timer

EngEd

EngEd here. I've been enjoying FS since FS5 and, especially GMax since it was introduced. For years, I've used a Windows XP-partitioned iMac27 for both FS9 and GMax.

Agg. Recently the partition went belly up.

Challenges: My FS9 appears unable to function on a recently purchased Dell Inspiron. It loads but won't open because of an Administrator problem. (Dell tech says it's the software....) I've backed-up much of my GMax and recent planes, but at the moment have no place to use them.

Future Decision: Which version of FS? FX2020 sounds like a kettle of half-cooked fish so far. FS10 has a big following, but is it amenable to new PCs? And then there's the FS9 requirement of having the fourth disc in (unless, hem hem, one uses the crack .exe, which I had on the XP system just fine.

My plan was to install FS9 on the Dell, then once functioning with the fourth disc in, swap .exes for the crack. But, alas, that appears to be a non-starter.

I've even considered a new PC and new FS to replace the failed -XP partition. But which computer? And which FS version?

Last, be aware that my principal time-gobbling is in GMax building. Once it's built, I fool with it a little on the sim, then go on to another GMax project.

Would anyone care to suggest a course of action?

Many thanks.--Dennis Simanaitis, enged@aol.com

(By background, I have rather a few old planes here in the Fltsim library (Spruce Goose, de Havilland Rapide, etc). And, a while back, even had a "Builder's Interview.")

Edited by EngEd

Hi, Tom, Hi, John,

I have yet to apply the crack to the downloaded sim on the Dell. I'll let you know how it works.

Alas, the old computer's PC partition is kaput, though I can access its files (though of course not run them) through the Apple side.

All in good time-gobbling fun. -- d

Hi, Guys!!

Success with FS9 and new Dell!! Many thanks!! Even the Logitech stick worked plug&play with easy setup in the sim.

I still have the GMax registration challenge. The AutoDesk (marketing-driven) approach is for someone with more patience than me. There’s another that looks a bit piratey.

Daughter Suz suggests we look at the files for my GMax that works and seek a tiny file being the key.

Also, (remember I’m an old timer), I’ve just learned about Blender. Free and apparently easy. What about its link to FS? I’ve seen (but not studied) stuff linking FS2020 and Blender. I wonder about Blender and earlier FS versions?

At any rate, I now have a way of GMax-building on one computer and checking/flying on another. Better than when the XP system went belly up.

Thanks again for your help. — d

Hello, Peter,

My Dell Inspiron 16 2-in-1 has Windows 11 Home. Version 10.0.22621, whatever that implies.

I bought it this past May, as I recall.

Yes. It seems to be running FS9 just fine, thanks. I have yet to install planes and scenery saved from corrupted computer.

Started to add planes and scenery. Planes are easy, though several of them shudder at high speed. I must relearn scenery add routine. I stumbled through Brooklands but not systematically enough to add berlin airlift. And I’m not doing scenery.cfg right.

Next challenge: Get past the GMax registration

Oddity: I have working GMax on my working iMac 27 Windows partition (the one with soundless Fltsim...). But when I copy/paste it to another PC it doesn’t copy the registration code. Geez.

Any thoughts? Neither Autodesk nor defunct TurboSquid seem any good. And I don’t know how to deconstruct the working version. All in good fun.

Just to bring matters up to date, again through our excellent network of simmers I’ve solved several hassles, among them a GMax rendering as big as a house. Inexplicably, the Unit Preference got set to “inches.” God knows how. Set back to meters, all is well.

Still haven’t solved the shudder. With some planes, it happens with at zero speed and static scenery. Same setting with most others is fine.

I suspect some mildly corrupted .cfg file but haven’t identified it yet.

By the way, for a variety of reasons I’m staying with FS9 and GMax. I have such a nice backlog. Also, I’m amused that the latest FS2020 had a Spruce Goose. I know it’ll be more artfully rendered than mine. But I’ve been enjoying Howie at the controls for years with mine.

This entry may well bring my quandary to resolution, in many aspects thanks to helpful people at this website.

In particular, I believe the shudders are my own carelessness in aircraft.cfg files. I identified three shudderers among my scads of GMax designs, several of which I’ve described at http://www.SimanaitisSays.com (excuse the plug).

Anyway, I cribbed successful .cfgs, suitably modified in naming only, and the shudders are gone. I still have specific updating of .cfgs, but I’m going to do this more carefully.

In total, more or less, my crashed Windows XP GMax/FS9 seems to be up and functioning on my Windows 11 Dell laptop. One of these days I may spring for a big-screen PC.

Thanks again for help and participation—ds