Microsoft Flight Sim X Gold Edition

NAMVET1971

Hello everyone, I just purchased the above flight sim. I am running windows 10. I am either not waiting long enough or there is a problem getting this program to load. Can someone out there tell me exactly how to get this program to load? I'm a little slow as I just turned 76 on the 31st of October, and yes, I have heard all the jokes. I would appreciate a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks and happy flying.

Hi Namvet1971,

I was an FSX (Deluxe Gold edition), hobbyist for 9+ years. I spent $$$$ on high-res addons for that sim platform and I was very disappointed when I found out that Windows 10 and FSX would not work together. As a result, I waited until MS stopped supporting Windows 7 before I installed Windows 10.

So, my point is that if you're having trouble installing FSX (gold or any other edition), into Windows 10, it's probably because it's not compatible with Windows 10. I haven't checked in a long time, but I could be wrong. Maybe now, Windows 10 has possibly released updates to allow FSX to work on that O/S.

If they have, I'd sure like to know because I still have all my FSX downloaded addons and of course, the 3-CD FSX Deluxe Gold installation discs. If I get time, I'll try and see if any changes have been made to make Windows 10 compatible with FSX.

As it is, I have MSFS 2020 and Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I build my own computers and the one I run FS 2020 on is the most powerful system I've built in over 15 years of building computers. I have FS 2020 running with almost everything set to "Ultra", plus numerous Orbx addons and my CPU (i9-11900K), and GPU (Nvidia 3080Ti), don't even break a sweat.

The hottest either processor ever got was 62C, (max!). FSX will bring you computer to it's knees if your computer hardware isn't up to handling the Dream-Team coding for that platform. I mean, your frame rate will be at slide-show speeds if you try to run any high-res addons or LOD settings.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. If you've found info that says FSX and Windows 10 work together, please let me know.

BTW; I'm 66 and I don't understand the correlation between "...76 on the 31st of Oct" and having "heard all the jokes". What do you mean by that?

Rich

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Case: Corsair 780T/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII formula/ RAM: XTreem 3600MHz 32GB (2x16) / PSU: EVGA 1300W/ CPU: Intel i9–11900K (5.2GHz/ GPU: Nvidia RTX-3080/ Water block: EKWB EK-Quantum/ EKWB DDC 3.2 PWM Elite/ MOBO Cooling block: EKWB- VRM Cooling Bridge/ | [2] Radiators (push/pull fans).

Hi Namvet1971,

So, my point is that if you're having trouble installing FSX (gold or any other edition), into Windows 10, it's probably because it's not compatible with Windows 10. I haven't checked in a long time, but I could be wrong.

You are wrong. Plenty of folks run FSX under Windows 10, including myself.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. If you've found info that says FSX and Windows 10 work together, please let me know.

Will a screenshot work? :)

FWIW, FSX while it does cause some heating of the CPU isn't the end of the world. It's certainly nothing compared to video encoding.

Cheers

Luke

Will a screenshot work? :)

FWIW, FSX while it does cause some heating of the CPU isn't the end of the world. It's certainly nothing compared to video encoding.Luke

Thanks Luke!

No offense, but video encoding is nothing compared to FSX with 9+ years of high-res, payware, addons running. I also work with video and even though I'm primarily a still-life photographer, I use video editing techniques and software for my drone platform. I have a good idea of how much power video software can pull.

However, I had thousands of dollars invested in addons for FSX. When you're flying 250 feet AGL at .9 mach over land and scenery addons with 5m mesh, Orbx Global, vector, OpenLC, etc., in a Milviz F4J, your CPU better be up to the task or you'll crash the system and/or the sim's platform inside of 5 seconds, guaranteed.

The MS Dream Team did an amazing job with FSX. Compared to FS 2002 or 2009, FSX was an almost new approach. You're speaking to someone who literally learned how to build more and more powerful computers (and the most extreme overclocking tricks) just so that I could keep it running the kind of coding that was a well known nightmare for most FSX computers, (no store bought system could run the FSX platform I'm talking about).

This fact is no secret and you can find a lot about it very easily. When Lockheed Martin bought the FSX platform from MS, they began with FSX as the foundation for P3D. Then, they began recoding it with each new P3D upgrade version. I don't know how far they got by now, but I'm guessing they've gone a long way.

So, the FSX sim platform on its own isn't that bad, but as a hardcore Flight Sim hobbyist, I can say that we never flew FSX without the highest resolution addons available for Air, land & sea. The FSX sim hobbyist like myself had installed on our computers, looked nothing like the FSX 'out of the box':pilot:.

FWIW

PS It's really good to know that Windows 10 can run FSX. If true, and if it can run without any limitation regarding the 3rd party addons, I'll be installing it back onto my other computer!

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Case: Corsair 780T/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII formula/ RAM: XTreem 3600MHz 32GB (2x16) / PSU: EVGA 1300W/ CPU: Intel i9–11900K (5.2GHz/ GPU: Nvidia RTX-3080/ Water block: EKWB EK-Quantum/ EKWB DDC 3.2 PWM Elite/ MOBO Cooling block: EKWB- VRM Cooling Bridge/ | [2] Radiators (push/pull fans).

FSX Gold Edition? So you have 3 discs to load onto your computer? Is this actually FSX Steam edition?

Hey Mr. Zippy,

The FSX Deluxe Gold version has 3 CDs (or DVDs), and was sold exactly as that. I still have my 3-disc set, which cost me about $38USD back around 2011. Even the Steam edition didn't have some of the stuff that the 3-disc set had.

Rich

First of all Happy Birthday NAMVET1971, I hope it was a good day for you and all is well. Thank you for your service sir. Not to worry as many of us are a little slow too nowadays it seems but you are among a great bunch here and they will help you to get up and running asap! Mr. Zippy knows his stuff.

It appears that your post got sideways somehow and you haven't gotten any closer to solving your FSX issue. I will say that on an older pc FSX was/still is notorious for taking forever to load...It was almost 6 minutes for me when I first obtained FSX and loaded it on an older pc I had. How long is your wait? Has it ever loaded at all? Can you share what your pc specs are in addition to any of the error message(s) you have received? This info can really help in finding you some solutions.

i7 8086K @ 5.2 GHz, H115i Pro Cooler, GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7, 8GB GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz, 250GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 500GB SAMSUNG 970 M.2, 1TB WD Black, EVGA 650watt SuperNOVA G3 80+ GOLD, Corsair Black Obsidian Series 750D case, LG Ext Blu-ray/CD/DVD, Win 10 64bit, Samsung 32” Odyssey G70B 4K IPS 144Hz G-Sync

I'm just trying to make sure of what Sim this member is trying to install! If it is FSX Gold edition, then his post is in the wrong forum. I sent a "report"requesting it be moved to the FSX forum.

More info is required.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yep, sounds like a wrong forum post - but to the OP - Welcome home brother, I spent my 1972 'wearing the OD Green' in that country too.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Looks like this topic is in the right forum, finally! ;) Onward! More info about what is happening, please!

1. Where did you "just purchased this Sim" from?

2. What error message are you seeing?

3. The correct install procedure, IIRC, should be install disc 1 and then disc 2, enter your first authentication code, test to see if the Sim will start, exit the Sim, install the Acceleration disc and then inter the Acceleration authentication code.

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Deleted Edited by wingclip

Not another "FSX wont run on windows 10". Jeez! Oh yes it does!

...duh...

Hello,

I had the same trouble when trying to install FSX Gold from the discs on a new PC.

It seems (it's my advice) that there is a file present under previous versions of Windows and this file is not existent on any of the discs of the package.

Don't forget to load the disc n°4 (if my memory is good) for it has to be recognized to unlock every run of FSX.

Good luck and good flights

vieil utilisateur de FS (depuis FS1 en 1982 !!!), passé à P3DV4.5

Config : WIN10, 64 bits. AMD Ryzen 7 4,4GHz, 16G RAM, GeForce GTX1070 8G

SAITEK proflight, multipanel, radiopanel, rudder, Thrustmaster Cougar

Site : https://simu.alain-bettan.fr