Spoilers in Increments Possible?

In MSFS is it possible to assign a button/key to extend the spoilers one notch at a time and retract the spoilers one notch at a time? In the JF BAe 146 the first extended increment of the spoilers is for the spoiler at the rear of the aircraft's fuselage and the next extended increment is for the spoilers on the wings of the aircraft. I seen some youtube videos of the BAe 146 landing that show that the rear spoiler (1st increment) is deployed shortly before touchdown and the wing spoilers (2nd increment) are deployed immediately on touchdown. I know that in X-Plane 11 a button/key can be assigned to do these functions for the spoilers but I can't find a way to do this in MSFS? I know that I could just pan around in the virtual cockpit with my mouse and drag the spoiler lever to the appropriate increment but I prefer not to do it that way. Also I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and therefore don't have a spare axis that I can assign to the spoilers.

In the JF BAe 146 the first extended increment of the spoilers is for the spoiler at the rear of the aircraft's fuselage and the next extended increment is for the spoilers on the wings of the aircraft.

Spoilers at the rear of the wing? Are you actually referring to the flaps? If so, Mr Zippy gave you that above.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'm referring to the airbrake on the rear of the aircraft underneath the tail that deploys when the spoiler lever is moved within the first range of the axis that is before the detent and then then spoilers on the wings that deploys in the next range of the axis after the detent. If you have the JF BAe 146 watching how the spoiler works while in external view should make it easier to understand what I'm what I'm talking about.

Here's the rear spoiler/airbrake in action:

bae146-300.jpg

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I'm referring to the airbrake on the rear of the aircraft underneath the tail that deploys when the spoiler lever is moved within the first range of the axis that is before the detent and then then spoilers on the wings that deploys in the next range of the axis after the detent. If you have the JF BAe 146 watching how the spoiler works while in external view should make it easier to understand what I'm what I'm talking about.

OK thanks. With Tim's picture it makes sense, but "rear of the wing" was misleading to me.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I didn't mention that the spoilers are on the "rear of the wing". I said "rear of the of the fuselage underneath the tail" and the other spoilers are on the wings.

My apologies, Dave- after re-reading and re-re-reading your initial post I see I really goofed. I don't know why my memory transposed a couple of words, but it was that transposition that caused me to reply at all. I think of spoilers only on the wing, not of an air brake as a spoiler, so I thought of that rear spoiler as the flaps -- mind tricks, I guess (age??). Coupled with not knowing much about that specific aircraft...

Guess I better double and triple read some things in the future, to be sure my memory dosn't play tricks like that again.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

As of recently, what I do to slow the big ones down is, just for a few seconds, activate the spoilers then retract them. Can't say for sure this is an action taken in the real world, but someone on one of the forums more or less swore to being a witness to such on a real flight.

When I looked into this, I couldn't find a way to open and close spoilers incrementally using the keypad, but I believe that it is possible to assign the spoilers to the throttle axis of a second joystick. It may also be possible to do this with an x box controller as well, though I have not investigated that.

People sometimes get flaps and spoilers confused. Flaps can be fully up or down using F5 and F8 or moved incrementally using F6 and F7.

Flaps increase lift and drag allowing the aircraft to be flown more slowly because of the increased wing area whereas spoilers are used to slow the plane down by increasing drag over the wings only.

The last thing to mention is reverse thrust, which should generally only be used to slow the aircraft down on the runway. You can use these with F2 and F1 or using the throttle control on your joystick if you have a detent set on it (note that there are only a few aircraft that can use reverse thrust in the air).

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)