Virus downloaded

ColR1948

I recently Re-Installed FSX on this new PC running Windows10, it was running OK but I wanted to add a few more bits, I found some utilities on another site, I downloaded them then went to install one, I got a popup from W10 to say it was dangerous and not to install, so I tried another and same again.

Then my PC went in to a daft mode, popped up screens asking to 'Allow' I couldn't cancel them out, then Defender popped up saying it had found some viruses, it listed them: Krypter Racoon & Wacatac.

I tried to remove them with defender but defender wasn't accepting my mouse click, so now I'm doing a full scan, why do people do these things, do they think we will be impressed, just crazy.

Any way rant over see what defender can do, failing that might need to buy a virus program.

Col.

Ty I'll look in to it, I'm now on Windows 10 pro after a clean install, not loaded FS yet, just more or less less setting things up.nothing fancy i5 4590 3.30GHz 8gig Ram 900 or so gig left on HDD.

only prob is onboard graphics so probably only run FS9, the gpu slot is close to the power pack so not room to install one unless I seach for a really thin one but don't hold much hope there.

Col.

I found my Windows7 install disk, put it on a spar hard drive, but for some reasin it would not install the wifi drivers, I have wifi disks but it would not install, so no internet.

Just out of interest I had another spare drive, I installed Windows10 on that and it didn't even need the wifi drivers I got the logon screen during the install, any ideas why W7 was having a problem?

Col.

Hi Col.

Wacatac is a trojan that will deploy a selection of other malicious tools on your PC, mostly aimed at data theft but I guess ransom is also a possiblilty.

Concerning Raccoon, this is from esentire.com: "The original version also included multiple capabilities such as grabbing FileZilla sessions, acting as a dropper, grabbing system information, passwords, and cookies from browsers, stealing cryptocurrency wallets."

Whether either ran on your PC is moot. That you had trouble with at least your mouse tells me that at least one malware was running.

!!!!!!!!!! "Would you like Chrome to remember this password?" If you've ever clicked Yes then that stored info is what Raccoon was after.

!!!!!!!!!! If you haven't already done it, change all your passwords Col and do it now.

D

Edited by defaid

Thanks D, After I formated my drive and re-installed first thing I did was check my back but as it happens my bank password is hidden along with a few others.

relating to this subject when I was working there was a young guy came in out office to update some program his company had on one of our computers.

He seemed OK and we got talking, during our convesation the virus subject came up and he said he had written a few and put them on the Net. I asked him why and he thought it was funny, he said it was fun, I ended up having a argument with him and I never spoke to him again after that.

He had PC skills and was putting them to good use in his job but also doing malicious stuff in his private life outside work, so to him it was fun and a joke.

Col.

I recently Re-Installed FSX on this new PC running Windows10, it was running OK but I wanted to add a few more bits, I found some utilities on another site, I downloaded them then went to install one, I got a popup from W10 to say it was dangerous and not to install, so I tried another and same again.

Then my PC went in to a daft mode, popped up screens asking to 'Allow' I couldn't cancel them out, then Defender popped up saying it had found some viruses, it listed them: Krypter Racoon & Wacatac.

I tried to remove them with defender but defender wasn't accepting my mouse click, so now I'm doing a full scan, why do people do these things, do they think we will be impressed, just crazy.

Any way rant over see what defender can do, failing that might need to buy a virus program.

Col.

Buy some good virus software, the world has moved on.... your security needs to be as tight as a ducks rear end these days....... No matter what they say of just running Defender it's just not enough anymore...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Yes got a Virus checker, also slightly off topic I found my Windows 7 ultimate install, so just installed it, still setting it up.

I put it on spare PC so going to install FS on it like I had once before when it ran OK, might just use this just for FS and avoid putting other stuff on it, I still have my saved aircraft and other FS stuff.

Thank you guys once again for your help, will keep you updated lol.

Col.

Thanks but no thanks Paul mate, had trouble with them a while ago, I bought the full package and when I went to verify, it wanted me to pay again, got in touch with them and they had no record, I sent them the email confirming.

Then they sent me a link to register it, the link refused, cut the story short after a few emails I gave up and counted it as a loss.

I went online and a few more were having the same problem.

Col.

• 2 months later...

I use Acronis. Just the backup and restore part of it. I backup every month and delete the ones a few months old. Have gotten viruses a few times and loading a backup saved me from starting over. 60 or so bucks a year but worth it.

Jim

CYWG

I'll chime in here, even though it's an old thread because the Info. may help someone.

First and foremost. Anti-virus software now-a-days is bloated crap. It's a MiTM (Man In The Middle) between you and their servers analyzing all the websites and whatnot going through your NIC (Netowrk Interface Card). It has to because damn near everything today uses TLS encrypted connections. How else can the anti-virus product detect malicious behavior? Anyway, anti-virus software has gotten so bloated today that one packed a crypto miner to mine for crypto on your PC at your CPU's and power bill's expense. Could have been Kaspersky. Not only that, but just for the heck of it, go to https://speed.cloudflare.com before and after you have the anti-virus product installed. It can and WILL monkey with your TCP/IP stack...

So, I stopped using anti-virus software circa 2016 and now use a free and open source program called Sandboxie classic for my browser's to mitigate malicious code execution at the browser level from hopping on over to the operating system. I also block known malware domains via the uBlock Origin browser add-on and at the DNS level. You can do that with Pi-Hole and other things... Then each and every single download (sometimes images) I scan at VirusTotal. Read here on what I said about that.

I can tell you I have never been infected that I know of unless it's some triple letter agency. LOL But, if you want that feel good approach, then by all means use anti-virus, over-bloated code creep software. You CAN browse the Internet without it. Trust me (Or don't. I don't care).

Remember 1:1 full disk clones should also be part of your anti-virus strategy.