Windows 10 & 11 not reading external drive.

ColR1948

I recently got a new PC plus a laptop. The PC has W11 the laptop W10.

I took out the extra drive from my old PC that had data on it, plugged it with a cable to USB, the they both recognise the drive but both saying the drive is empty.

I searched online and found 2 solutions, tried them both but no joy, the data on the external is a lot of my FS stuff, aircraft etc and repaints.

Anyone else had this any help appreciated.

Col.

Hi Luke I was thinking that, I will have to reconnect it, ty good idea.

Edited: Yes connected to my old PC and it read the drive, everything there.

Strange on the new PC and lappie they say the drive is empty.

I tried the 'atrrib' idea and checkdisk but had no joy.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Maybe some distant system files on the old drive are 'older' then the new PC's can expect, you cannot change the past if you somehow get the idea of what I mean......... Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Yes I think I know what you mean, my old PC was using W10 so I am puzzled why the laptop with W10 sees the drive as empty.

Thank you for the replies by the way I do appreciate any help.

I just ran a virus scan on this drive, even though W11 says it is empty, the scan read 18,124 files and they showed clear, so the virus scanner knows there are files there.

Col

Edited by ColR1948

Doh! I feel a right idiot!

I looked on my old PC after I disconnected the other drive, and my FS was still there.

I have programs on the C drive and without me knowing what or how this happened but I had a partition called E: drive. I was thinking this was the drive I had took out and all the time it was empty after all.

I did see another drive but for some reason I thought it was a partition of the C drive so never put anything in it.

Might sound a bit complicated but anyway I copied what I needed and put it on an external then transferred it to my new PC.

Like I said it felt a right idiot once I saw my error.

Thanks again for trying to help, it would never have read that drive lol.

Col.

Are you sure that his usb adapter works with the harddrive from your old pc?

Have you tried plugging it in to the old Pc -via usb- ?

If it is a large mechanical drive ( 3.5" Inch) a simple usb to sata cable won't work.

Those simple cables are for 2,5" Inch drives and for SSD's.

For large 3.5" Mechanical drives you wil need a Powered Usb-Sata connector. One with external wall power supply that plugs into the cable to send power to the drive.

The power from the Usb port alone won't be enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it did work on the old PC, but like I said the FS stuff was already on my hard drive in a partition which I thought was on the external.

I copied stuff off my old PC on to this external and plugged it in both PC's and the copied files showed up so I know it works.

Col.