Stutters help needed

I am reaching out to the MSFS Community looking (hoping) for a fix to my stutter issues with MSFS 2020.

My specs are below in my signature. Tim has helped me in the past, and things did improve A LOT!!!! However, we were unable to rid them completely.

Here is what I have found, and what I have done

I have Googled this problem and read/watched a lot of articles and You Tube videos. I feel this is a CPU problem, I know MSFS uses only one core of the CPU, thus I have attempted to reduce the workload of the CPU. In the sim, I have no AI traffic, no ships, no road traffic, clouds are at their lowest setting (could turn them off I guess) My graphics settings do not seem to matter. Using VR or not using it does not matter, same problem

I am running VR HP Reverb, getting 60+ FPS, settings are very high, some are ultra. From my studying, I have read that certain parts of the settings need to be lowered because they are CPU intensive, so I have lowered them.

While in Developers mode, with the FPS counter and CPU activity going, I freeze/stutter every 3 seconds. Like clock work, every 3 seconds the sim will micro stutter, then continue. This does not matter where I am flying, could be Jacksonville FL (not that much to see), middle of Kansas, NYC, London, I still get the micro stutter every 3 seconds.

I don't mind going into the BIOS and adjusting a setting, assuming I know what setting I need to adjust. I have reinstalled the sim to a SSD drive as well.

All the Windows Updates are, up to date, latest Nvidia drivers.

What other information can I provide?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Did you get the new driver for the GPU? it was released today... also some 3D tweaking to be done in Nvidia settings.... I found it made a big difference for my setup after some tweaking... may want to look at some youtube vids on the 3070 3D settings for MSFS... I can post screenshots of my settings later, if helpfull....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Did you get the new driver for the GPU? it was released today... also some 3D tweaking to be done in Nvidia settings.... I found it made a big difference for my setup after some tweaking... may want to look at some youtube vids on the 3070 3D settings for MSFS... I can post screenshots of my settings later, if helpfull....

Yes, I did get the new driver today, tried it both in DLSS and without, no change :(

I will at the You Tube videos, I have made changes to the 3d setup, but I could have missed something :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Well, my 3D settings HAD changed, guessing the driver update removed them (I did use DDU)

The one video I rewateched mentioned thermal load, no problems there, I monitor my CPU temps a lot.

I did reduce my max frame rate down to 31, and a few other settings mentioned in the video, things are a bit better, however, still having stutters :(

Just a hunch set vertical sync to adaptive (half refresh rate) that helped my stutters...... I also limit the frame rate to 60

NVIDIA-Control-Panel-27_09_2022-23_23_18.jpg

NVIDIA-Control-Panel-27_09_2022-23_24_01.jpg

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Just a hunch set vertical sync to adaptive (half refresh rate) that helped my stutters...... I also limit the frame rate to 60

I don't have that option, on mine it's either off, on or Fast

Attaching screenshot.0114.jpg0114.jpg

"I don't have that option, on mine it's either off, on or Fast

yet we both have the same card except mine is water cooled...... Have you also updated Gforce Experience? I suggest doing a clean install see video below... I did some months back it did not improve performance for me.... but remember not all rigs are equal, you may like many others benefit from a clean driver install.......

Edited by daspinall

"I don't have that option, on mine it's either off, on or Fast

yet we both have the same card except mine is water cooled...... Have you also updated Gforce Experience? I suggest doing a clean install see video below... I did some months back it did not improve performance for me.... but remember not all rigs are equal, you may like many others benefit from a clean driver install.......

I was able to find the option you were referencing in the sim and adjusted it. Did not help.

I also installed the drivers the Clean Way, used DDU, went into Safe Mode, reinstalled just the minimum.

I forgot to mention try both DX 11 and 12 to see if either of those are the issue..... Mine tends to run smoother in DX11... and maybe experiment with lowering the screen resolution if possible and do you have XMP turned on in Bios .... I can not think of anything else at the moment, sorry David..... When all is siad and done and at the end of your tether maybe a reinstall of MSFS I done that a few times in the past to solve an issue.... Edited by daspinall

One last thought at fl300 ha.... If your internet connection is running slow that too can cause stutters...... just a thought... I'm flying across the UK at the mo in DX12 with full bells and whistles and it's smooth...

I forgot to mention try both DX 11 and 12 to see if either of those are the issue..... Mine tends to run smoother in DX11... and maybe experiment with lowering the screen resolution if possible and do you have XMP turned on in Bios .... I can not think of anything else at the moment, sorry David..... When all is siad and done and at the end of your tether maybe a reinstall of MSFS I done that a few times in the past to solve an issue....

I have actually tried both version's of DX, does not matter. DX11 does seem to be better.

As for screen resolution, I have been up and down on that, I usually run at 1600X900, but maxed it out after reading that someone suggested going 4K (sounded crazy but I tried it, no joy).

My Internet connection is nice, 600+, tried it with it off as well, seeing if that was the problem. Did not matter.

My memory is in XMP.

I have also reinstalled MSFS, went from a regular HD drive to an SSD. I did get a lot faster loading speeds, lol, but that was it.

Something is causing my system to pause exactly every 3 seconds. Grrrrrr :)

Something is causing my system to pause exactly every 3 seconds. Grrrrrr :)

It's usually your antivirus scanning any program which has an active internet connection. If you add MSFS to your antivirus whitelist/exceptions list, this should stop.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's usually your antivirus scanning any program which has an active internet connection. If you add MSFS to your antivirus whitelist/exceptions list, this should stop.

I had already done that Tim, however :) I had forgotten that I had moved the sim to a new SSD. Added that in, checked firewall.

We shall see, trying a flight now.

I'm having BT issues now something wrong with the line, now more stutters... and dropping on and off-line!! Edited by daspinall

Are you sure that all of your MSFS is located on the SSD drive? The stutter you describe sounds just like the delay a seek to a HD would create if it was fetching some data from a HD.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Are you sure that all of your MSFS is located on the SSD drive? The stutter you describe sounds just like the delay a seek to a HD would create if it was fetching some data from a HD.

Reasonably sure. I put it on my "F" drive SSD. Of course, there are some parts on my "C" drive, but it also an SSD

Well, today while looking through You Tube, I watched this video, found out that several of my 3D settings were not set to what the person in the video had, so I switched them, did some fiddling with the ingame settings and tried a flight. It worked!!!

Tried it in VR as well, no more stutters. Now, I am kicking myself because I am not sure exactly what fixed the problem, but one of the items it mentioned in the Nvidia section was Low Latency, which was off for me.

Here is the link to the video

I am not declarin git 100% fixed (yet), still going to do some rebooots and see if the settings hold :)

Good News David main thing is it worked it was most likely a combination........

Good News David main thing is it worked it was most likely a combination........

Very likely :)

Well, I did a reboot and took another flight, no changes!! It is nice to look straight down in VR and NOT see the micro stutters that were coming every 3 seconds. Has made flying that much more enjoyable!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, started flying after taking a break. Started the sim and had to do an update. Now the stutters are back and my settings have not changed. I am at a loss!!

I am on the verge of just pulling the plug and quitting the sim. An update comes out, (which was the only change) and my stutters are back. It was very enjoyable flying without any.

I put the sim settings down to low on everything, nothing helped. Every 3 seconds now the sim pauses for 1/2 a second and then starts flying again.

Sigh

Well, started flying after taking a break. Started the sim and had to do an update. Now the stutters are back and my settings have not changed. I am at a loss!!

I am on the verge of just pulling the plug and quitting the sim. An update comes out, (which was the only change) and my stutters are back. It was very enjoyable flying without any.

I put the sim settings down to low on everything, nothing helped. Every 3 seconds now the sim pauses for 1/2 a second and then starts flying again.

Sigh

Well, after I calmed down (a shot of Jack didn't hurt, lol) and thought about things, I remembered that I had to re-associate some programs recently, viewing my PDF's tell it to use Adobe (work pays for it), my JPG files, my photo editing program, etc. So, if I had to do that, perhaps that had a side effect of messing with MSFS.

I uninstalled the update, rebooted and MSFS is back to where it was, NO SUTTERS. Guessing there was something in the update causing a problem.

Glad to hear you found a solution. This remains my fav flight sim, warts and all, but it can be frustrating at times. Then again, so can I, just ask my ex-wife-LOL

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that helped me a lot was matching monitor refresh rate to the sim settings. I reduced the monitor down to 60hz (which was the lowest it would go) in Windows settings and switched on Vsync to 60fps. To my surprise I'm now getting solid 60fps and my GPU is no longer at 100% all the time. AND I've managed to increase graphics to Ultra on everything with just a lowly RTX3060.

Should just add, this was with the latest Studio driver 522.30.

One thing that helped me a lot was matching monitor refresh rate to the sim settings. I reduced the monitor down to 60hz (which was the lowest it would go) in Windows settings and switched on Vsync to 60fps. To my surprise I'm now getting solid 60fps and my GPU is no longer at 100% all the time. AND I've managed to increase graphics to Ultra on everything with just a lowly RTX3060.

Should just add, this was with the latest Studio driver 522.30.

I only have one setting for my monitors, which is 60

And the stutters are back, for no apparant reason. No updates have occurred in Windows, MSFS has not been updated.

I am very frustrated to have the sim work (after who knows what I did to fix it, guessing getting rid of a Windows update was the fix), but this time there is no update to remove.

Every 3 seconds, the sim will pause for 1/2 second. In dev mode with the FPS counter going, I can do the 1-1000, 2-1000 and at 3-1000, there will be a red spike for about 1/2 sec, FPS will drop from 60's to 20's, then shoots back up, and another 3 seconds it does it again

I am at a total loss as to what to try next.