Us Cajuns got dem great big curious...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The color may look different on the MSFS VFR map, but it could be an airport or airstrip which are shown in purple on the pdf. If it's a solid circle with tiny black dots inside, that's a VOR. If you click on it, the info page will pop up with the VOR's name, map reference and frequency. You can click on any other vfr map icon in the same way. Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Properly, I think you are looking at magenta circles, rather than brown (some graphics setups don't have proper colors), which do have that purplish hue on the legend, as Tim says. So assuming this is what you are looking at the legend right at the top tells you that:

Airports having con-

trol towers (CT) are

shown in blue, all oth-

ers are shown in

magenta.

Of course with that PDF, you can also identify all the other symbols on a VFR chart too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Another factor affecting the color could be that the MSFS VFR map has a green background over land areas, so a magenta icon on top of a green background could appear to be brown.

Yeah, it's probably magenta in color. Here's a shot of at least 3 around Houston, TX (JY, HU & LYD). I also thought of checking one out in a more desolate locale and saw one a bit SE of Wink, TX, then comVFR map.jpgpared it with a Lo Alt VOR map but came up empty.

p.s. Don't know if I attached photo correctly, but will find out when I hit the submit button

NDB,s did cross my mind, especially when seeing the three digits (such as 529) when you clicked on one. But not having khz after the 3 digits did keep my cajun curious pondering.

I remember taking a Pilot Weather Briefing course back around 1960, when VOR's were in their youth and NDB's were still widely used. But that was many moons ago and I forgot what I learned.

In that map segment you posted, KAXH and 6R3 are "uncontrolled" airports (no tower), KTME, KSGR etc. are airports with towers, and HU, JY, KCXO and LYD are some form of navaid (hard for me to make out in the screenshot.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

HU, JY, KCXO, KDWH, KAXH and LYD are meant to be NDB's, they're on page 11 of the charts pdf I linked earlier:

VFR map.jpg

NDB.JPG

Edited by tiger1962

Thanks for clarifying, Tim. On my screen they didn't have the dot detail that is obvious on that PDF (or any other proper legend for charts), they were just brown circles with no detail.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say: