Where to buy and download MSFS 2020

No, you would not be able to put it on a flash drive. First the program is rapidly evolving with frequent mandatory updates. Second, most of the data resides in the Cloud, to hold all the data the program uses would require close to 500 large SSDs, or millions of flash drives. Third, you need high speed data transfer rates, I suggest a large M.2 drive.

BTW, I use MS Store, and I have had very few problems.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Just another vote for using the MS Store - one less middleman in the process? Steam can always blame Microsoft for any problems- lol

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

A flash drive, as in usb stick? Not a good idea since it'd have to be huge. And even if it was big enough, the manner in which MSFS installs is opaque and as brittle as it gets in terms of file system structuring that can be seriously fouled up. Beware also MSFS will install the bulk of its files deep in your user's appdata folder if it's not explicitly told otherwise, a big surprise for users who thought they completely installed it on a dedicated drive.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

Just another vote for using the MS Store - one less middleman in the process? Steam can always blame Microsoft for any problems- lol

I agree on MS Store as well. Has it been perfect? No, but :) the folks here helped me to get through the problems that I've encountered.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I would strongly recommend a 1 TB (min.) SSD as your C: drive and move all your non MSFS software to secondary drives. That will keep your mental sanity safe. MS Store is OK. Have in mind that MSFS occupies almost 150 GB of disk space as of today (sept2022) Edited by bjl345

I have opted to remain with my trusted FSX. Had some expert Geeks set up my new High-Powered PC to accept the "old" FSX. Seems MSFS has many varied opinions on its attributes, grass is not always greener on the other side it seems.

The important thing IS when you setup the game first time, I think you must keep the registration details (email,user name password ete.) that you use with MS XBOX and the initial KEY Numbers for future re installations or update. regards

If you got to stay with FSX, it is well worth it to get the Steam edition if you don't already have it. The Steam edition has been 'modernized' in the last few years to play well with 'modern' systems, but it's still the same old FSX. Started with FSX when it first released, and I moved to the Steam edition when I built my latest computer. Still got it on my new build, but it hasn't seen my CPU is nearly two years now. I'll uninstall it when I decide that I need the SSD it's on for something else.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

If you change your mind or possibly still undecided.. sign up for the Xbox game pass (trial)

It costs about £1 / $1 for a months trial. This will mean you will get to try MSFS for a month! Just remember to cancel game pass before the month is up.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles