FS2002 Carrier Launch

Guest xoubie

Esteemed fellow FSPilots,

I am having issues making the ArrCab24 program work in FS2002. Granted I could move on to FS2004 or even FSX, which work and I have, but I would like it to work in FS2002. Basically, Arresting works, but Catapult does not even though I get a CATAPULT ARMED indicator. I've tried all the Carrier Variants (Carriers, AcVall2, Carriers 2004, 2004a, and 2006 (of course rolling the back to the AFD files vice AF2 AFCAD)).

Win7 System 64Bit, using compatibility mode for Win XP SP2.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

More than likely, your deck height is wrong in your Arrcab ArrestorCables.dat file.

There are several reasons why this may have happened, so fixing it may be tricky.

Your altimeter is a help, but you'll also need to find some variables in an aircraft.cfg file to get an accurate deck height on your carrier.

Basically, make sure you zero out your altimeter (B key) and place your plane on the deck. Read your altimeter setting. This is easier if your altimeter has a "hover spot" where a numeric altitude is displayed. Write this number down, you aren't finished yet.

Open the aircraft.cfg file for the plane you just used. You need two numbers, the vertical part of your EYEPOINT and the height of the nose gear in the [contact points] section. Add these two numbers together to get the true height of your altimeter.

Now, go back to the altitude you measured on the flight deck. That number minus your true altimeter height should be the deck height of your carrier.

Now, you'll need to open your ArrestorCables.dat file in Notepad. You should see text that looks like this:

[Zone02]

CarrierIdent=CVN-74 near San Diego

FrontRightCornerLat = 32.617205

FrontRightCornerLon = -117.170786

FrontLeftCornerLat = 32.616998

FrontLeftCornerLon = -117.170812

BackLeftCornerLat = 32.61692

BackLeftCornerLon = -117.170518

BackRightCornerLat = 32.617180

BackRightCornerLon = -117.170488

DeckAltInFeet = 72.00

CableCatchZoneHeightInFeet = 2.4

RunwayHeadingInDegreesMag = 264

Make sure the deck height you calculated matches your carrier's data in that .dat file. Most aircraft carriers in FS should have a deck height between 68 to 75 feet.

You may also be having issues with Arrcab itself, or with your install of FSUIPC. Unfortunately, both of these programs are no longer supported for FS2002.

Good luck. :)