Thread: Article: Boeing Boeing

Default Article: Boeing Boeing

Great insight into a very cool read. Always a bonus to see the old photos!

Always a pleasure to read Tony's articles. I'll definitely try that Boeing 720 sim in XP.

Great write-up Tony... thank you! Anyone can write about airline history about the 707, but few can do so from the memories and experiences of spending a lot of hours sitting in its front office. I even learned something not known or not remembered: that the KC-135 and airline 707 had their own separate design developments from the Dash 80.

Not everything Boeing is wine and roses, does anyone remember the huge cover up with the 737 Max? It was when Boeing joined forces with McDonald Douglas and tried to to hide the fact that the plane was NOT ready to be flown without proper pilots training but the cover up was for the company to save money at the expense of more than 340 lives.

I am a 100% Boeing guy.... Remember when Airbus arrived and started killing pilots........

Quote Originally Posted by daspinall View Post
    I am a 100% Boeing guy.... Remember when Airbus arrived and started killing pilots........
    And passengers - all that wonderful automation. But to Tony's point, the MAX situation was Boeing brass being in a rush to beat Airbus' A320neo to the efficiency race and the serious flaw was discovered only after the two crashes. That said, I like Airbus and Boeing equally. But apparently Delta who was a long time major Boeing customer, not so much. They chose the 321neo in 2017 over the MAX 10 before the crashes happened (and who chose the A350 over the 787 for overseas international routes to replace their Covid-killed 777s as they had already inherited A330s from a merger).

Boeing needs to step it up if they want to get Delta back with another all-new single isle design. The 737 can't just keep getting re-lipsticked, and the 757 which Delta still flies in the mid-market US is past being long in the tooth and now on dentures. They are in desperate need of a clean sheet design as Airbus has hinted on just that set for service in the early 2030s. But for Delta, who clearly is all-in with Airbus these days, it may be too little, too late.
    Last edited by N069NT; 09-28-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Thank you. Wonderful article. The 707 was indeed a very beautiful bird ... and a much larger aircraft than one might remember.