Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Around the World in a Learjet.

Default Around the World in a Learjet.

Stage 00 - Travel preparation. “Flying around the World”, and my rules of the game.

The plan is to fly VFR/IFR from Eelde to Eelde (NL.) around the World ~ 44,000 km. Very useful to use the autopilot so now and than. I do assume to fly in the real weather, so with local weather and wind. The local time is another thing. Preferably without correction. So in the morning or in the evening.?! The long water crossings will go on autopilot. But speed up time? No not! Sometimes you can plan, sometimes you can't. Then it just goes “Go With The Flow”. We'll see. Whenever possible, the ATC, Air Traffic Control, is activated and the orders are followed. The stage goes from Parking to Parking, incl. taxiing to/from the track on the advice of ATC. Reports will be made and posted on the FS9-forum with some video recordings and commentary during the flight. The Route: Eelde, Paris, Rome, Athens …..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6AC9F18B-C2EF-4785-8B7B-76844A439267.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	328.5 KB 
ID:	231232

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Will be interesting to watch your progress along the route. Being in Australia, am interested in the airports you've selected near me, I see on your route map that it's across Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, then I think it looks like New Caledonia, the islands across the Pacific. Without checking the atlas, I think it's Fiji, ?, Hawaii, LA.

Could you provide a list in this chat of those airports please.

Someday I'd like to do a similar around-the-world flight. But that'll have to wait until retirement I think. Good luck with the trip.

MAD1: Thanks… This is my list of airports or regions. At this time I am in Athens. Up to Cyprus…

Global route via ~ the equator and eastward over ~ 44,000 km.;
    To take advantage of the effect of the jet stream at high altitude, I fly east.

Eelde - Amsterdam - Paris - Geneva - Turin - Rome - Albania - Athens - Antalya - Cyprus -
    (Places black and underlined are planned/affected landing sites)
    Lebanon - Baghdad - Kuwait - Dubai - Pakistan South - India West - Sri Lanka - Sumatra North - Java Jakarta - Celebes south - Moluccas - West Papua - New Guinea - Marshall Islands and
    Amaranth Kabua - Johnston Atoll - Hawaii Honolulu and/or …. - Gulf of California SF and/or LA?
    Coastline to Florida - Coastline to New York - Newfoundland - Azores Santa Cruz - Madeira -
    Canary Islands Lanzarote - Morocco - Gibraltar - Spain east coast - Bay of Biscay -
    French and Belgian coast - Zeeland - Amsterdam - Almere - Eelde runway 23.
    Last edited by Joop Kruize; 09-23-2022 at 04:42 AM.

Stage 01 - 5 Sept. ‘22. From “Eelde Groningen” to Paris “Le Bourget”. (Distance 401 Nm)

The plan to fly directly there is quickly abandoned. The view must also be beautiful. From Eelde it is about Drachten Airport, Leeuwarden Air Base, on the right along the “Afsluitdijk”. Via De Kooy, Den Helder along the coast, via Schiphol and Rotterdam airport to Haamstede. Via Zeeland, the Belgian coast over Koksy, Boulogne to Dieppe the French chalk cliffs. Then to WP.01 the approach route to Paris Le Bourget 108.8 Hz., Runway 07”, ILS 111.1 Hz. So this was the first trip. The experience was fifty-fifty..
    The Eelde ATC was not there. Then without. They forgot to build in the Afsluitdijk.?? Yes I think so.
    Schiphol was pretty good, but it wasn't very busy. No planes today? The Convid.?? Further along the coast. Didn't see any chalk cliffs but Paris was nice after I had to make a new start. Le Bourget was closer than I expected. So I had to make a short tour over Paris. Nice. To be continued…
    https://youtu.be/HSSqhFV50qs

Name:	F1DD11CA-A3FC-45A1-9C1F-B10D0FABC2B8.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	231236

Stage 02 - 15 Sept. ‘22 From Paris to Rome Airport ”Fiumicino” LIRF (Distance 690 Nm)

Departed from Le Bourget near Paris. After a round above the city, past the Eiffel Tower
    and a few skyscrapers, to Orleans HDG/DME 183/322 and st.Denis.de L' Hotel.
    Turn left here and follow the Loire, to Briare-Chatillion (126) and to VOR/DME 113.4/394
    Nevers-Fourchambault (162), via Macon-Charnay (123) to Geneva (95) VOR 114.6 Hz.
    In a straight line over the Alps, past the white peaks of Mont Blanc to Italy, Aosta (120).
    Then to Turin-Caselle (161) and Genoa-Sestri (132) VOR 108.6 Hz. on the mediterranean sea.
    Via Pisa-San Giusto (122) along the west coast to the island of Elba (with VOR 114.7) to Marina Di Campo (187). Via Wp.07 (114) and descend via HDG 160 to the airport Rome “Fiumicino”,
    Landing on runway 16L with ILS/DME 108.1/421 Hz. A good landing and another long taxiway.
    The link to 02 https://youtu.be/MWBJMTdWe-E

Name:	82FF08C4-0E44-493C-8E1B-58F15AA0E7A8.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	231253
    Last edited by Joop Kruize; 09-25-2022 at 04:04 AM.

Stage 03 - 17 Sept. "22. From Rome to Athens Elef. Venizelos “LGAV” (distance 598 Nm)

In Rome with a Beech Baron 58 made a round above the city, Vatican City and the Colosseum are the two most striking points of the city. With the Learjet45 the Worldtour continued from Rome to big city Naples with AirPort Capodichino VOR/DME 117.85/351 Hz.
    Right past the volcano Vesuvius over Pompeii and over the mountains of Monte Cerreto.
    Then across the foot of Italy to the tip of the heel and airbase Lecce (100) and the Adriatic sea over to Greece and the island of Corfu and airport Ioannis Kapodistrias (114) 108.8/403 Hz. Here begins the realm of the islands and a crossing of 214 Nm to Wp08 (HDG 121) and Athens with AirPort Elef. Veni. 117.5/357 Hz. Landed on runway 03R, ILS 111.1 Hz.
    The link to 03 https://youtu.be/YuCw9vu1LYo

Name:	993805BE-2D61-4432-BCC4-2A5B9CEAEFB6.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	231254
    Last edited by Joop Kruize; 09-25-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Very interesting is your commentary - I like the comments about the experience on each leg, both visually and with the actual flying. Having done some of that route - the long haul Australia to London, Australia to LA etc. a few times in my life as a passenger in e.g. a 747, it brings back memories of some views out the window. Keep posting your progress as you do each leg please, as I and possibly some other people are keeping you company as 'armchair tourists' or in this case 'armchair flyers'.

I just had a quick look at your first YouTube video https://youtu.be/HSSqhFV50qs (didn't watch all of it, only a few snippets), very nice, well done. So I can and will definitely be sitting in the copilot's seat and fly the world with you! (Especially given that all my PCs and FS2002 is not working these days, having been flooded to the roof in my house in Feb 2020, so being able to be in the cockpit and be a passenger is very good, including the sound. Just like being there - in the sim that is!)
    Last edited by MAD1; 09-26-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Just watched the first video Stage 1 https://youtu.be/HSSqhFV50qs entirely. Very good, nicely done video.

Hi Joop, have watched Stage 2 and now just watching this Monday morning here your Stage 3 Rome to Athens https://youtu.be/YuCw9vu1LYo. As I've never used any flight planning in my FS2002, but have wanted to, am interested in your flight planning. What is your strategy/logic? Is it basically the simplest direct route, or do you let FS2004 guide you? Does the sim recommend a route e.g. with AI enabled, are there smarts built into the sim that help you plan your flight?

Am interested to follow the route using Google Maps and plot those waypoints, then fly via Google Maps the route (given that all my computers went under water in the catastropic flood here Feb 28 this year, but I do have the original FS2002, and FS2000, boxed sims (didn't go under water, the plastic box I store them in floated!) including original CDs so can re-install FS2002 when I get time to do so).

One thing I like about your project, it seems simple and 'off the shelf' software, just the sim and the built-in functionality in it. Hence any of us with only the standard sim can do the same. Shows that it's indeed possible to have both fun and a fairly realistic flying experience with an old sim (that runs on older, cheaper hardware), without going out and trying to find the newest gadgets. This is my world, my trusty FS2002, so much built-in functionality.

Finally, your landings are very smooth, looks like you're on automatic, not manually flying the final few seconds before the flare and wheel-touch. Is that so? Does the Learjet have that functionality, flying e.g. an ILS all the way to touchdown?

Cheers, your 'armchair co-pilot'. MAD1.
    Last edited by MAD1; 10-02-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Joop,
    Hopped on a little late.
    Enjoying your flights.
    Well done with your videos!
    Fun to be along.
    Your landings are butter!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast