Does anyone else have the problem of improper altitude when flying because the plane never reaches designated altitude unless you constantly have to adjust the altimeter

A REAL pilot is constantly adjusting the altimeter, every fifteen minutes or so, depending on updates from the ground and other sources. Also note the differences that occur between reported altitude and QNH. Cross into airspace, you need to adjust the altimeter from MSL to QNH. both on the way up and down. but not while in the airspace itself.

Does anyone else have the problem of improper altitude when flying because the plane never reaches designated altitude unless you constantly have to adjust the altimeter

Short answer, I have not.

That being said, more information is needed :) Does this happen on ALL planes, or just certain ones.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

You might describe the situation a bit further, including how you know it's the "improper altitude," ATC perhaps? What is "constantly?" Does it mean every five minutes, every 30 seconds, or what? Are you at jet altitudes or perhaps you're flying a light plane? What's your weather set to?

One example of a possible cause is that barometric pressure (what the altimeter measures) changes as you're traveling along so that the altimeter would need to be reset to the new "altimeter setting" from time to time.

But since we're not there to see what you see and to hear what you hear, you need to be our eyes and ears and, as David asks, tell us aircraft type (one, a few, all?), are you on a flight plan, or in other words describe the situation so that we have something to go on.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Since flying above 18,000 feet means the altimeter is set to Standard 29.92, I'm betting on a non airliner aircraft. Sounds like an area with lots of pressure changes.

That's what I suspected, but it's best if he fills in the blanks for us so that we get him the answer he needs.

Cross into airspace, you need to adjust the altimeter from MSL to QNH. both on the way up and down. but not while in the airspace itself.

This statement is a tad confusing to me, mallcott. There is QFE (not used in the U.S.) and QNH (the normal altimeter setting in the U.S., using the Kollsman window. With the term MSL are you referring to setting field elevation while on the ground instead of setting it to QNH? If so, how do you set it on the way down? -- Else????

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!