Garmin G1000 ILS landings. As in default FSX planes. Help please

Cas141

Garmin G1000 . ILS landings.

Garmin G1000 in FSX . Glideslope not working. Assistance needed please.

I make a flight plan to go to a city airport with ILS facilities. It is a VOR because I am flying the Mooney Bravo with Garmin G1000.

Using GPS I approach the airport. When near I use the default ATC to bring up the airport in "nearest airports" and I request a full stop landing. I am instructed which runway to use.

I input the frequency in the Nav ( top left in Garmin)

I use the Proc and other buttons in Garmin to choose the ILS approach for that runway.

I load the approach and then I press Proc then Ent to Exeter "vectors to final"

The Garmin then shows the destination (in magenta colour) , which is the "fix" before the Rway, and then flys me to that fix.

Now.... this is where I think my problem starts. Using Skyvector.com the approach chart for the runway shows the name of the fix before the runway. And, on Skyvector, it shows the height to be at that fix. I use this to ascertain the height at which I should arrive .(at this fix..)

The Garmin does not show that height.

AND, also, the Garmin shows sometimes a completely different name for the preRway fix. Sometimes a name not on the Skyvector charts anywhere???

Now as I get to this fix, the plane begins to turn to point towards the runway.

I change the cdl button to show the green Nav which indicates the Localiser and as the plane begins to line up with the runway, I press the APR button on the Autopilot panel ( radio stack on second monitor), expecting the glideslope to be activated.

But it does not..... the plane flies at the same height in line with the runway.

I tried lining up the Hdg bug with the runway bearing and pressing that instead if the green Nav button, and then the APR button, but I get the same result.

Am I doing something wrong? I ask because on some occasions my actions have worked🤔

I thought that the problem was not getting the height at the fix correct. I know I've seen posts before where the glideslope doesn't activate unless you are at the height or below it. ?

However, I do feel that there is a sequence I am not doing in the Garmin, and I haven't seen any YouTube videos that show it.

Can anyone assist.

Sorry it's a longish post.

Thanks

I make a flight plan to go to a city airport with ILS facilities. It is a VOR because I am flying the Mooney Bravo with Garmin G1000.

What is "It," that is, you say "It" is a VOR because you're in the Mooney, but I don't follow that statement, since an ILS isn't a VOR, nor is the city a VOR.

Using GPS I approach the airport.

Do you change the GPS/NAV switch to NAV prior to reaching the FAF (Final Approach Fix)? Or is that what you are calling "the cdl button" (I don't know that term)?

As I asked in your previous thread about an ILS problem, please, please give us an example of a specific airport and runway, which will then make it possible to actually discuss what you are doing instead of speaking in generalities. Not all approaches are the same, and if we can discuss one single approach so that we are talking about the same thing, then maybe we can get you on track.

AND, also, the Garmin shows sometimes a completely different name for the preRway fix. Sometimes a name not on the Skyvector charts anywhere???

This might be because the approach has changed in the last 17 years. The NAV data in FSX was finalized around 2005, but he Skyvector charts are likely current. The FAA issues brand new approach charts (and other IFR charts) every 56 days, since there are periodic changes to the chart data. Airport names and/or IDs change. And in the real world the GPS database also must receive these updates, which is not possible in FSX.

For instance, just northwest of Denver, CO the airport formerly called Jefferson County (Jeffco) Airport is now known as Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport. The Jeffco airports two runways have changed numbers, due to the magnetic north pole shifting. So runway 12/29 became 13/30 and the former 02/20 became 03/21. That's a couple of examples or reasons for changes on the charts. And there are others even here in the Denver area.

So you're using a 2005-vintage database with a 2022-vintage chart. Some things will match and some things won't.

So again, let's have a specific airport and a specific runway/approach to talk about, in order to avoid

confusion and to be able to have the same language. In person I could interact with you and with the charts and with the sim so that you could show me directly what is actually happening, AND so that I could show you very quickly what how to straighten it out.

But we''re not in person and communication is much more difficult, so please help to help us help you by providing the information we ask for. YOU know what you're seeing, but WE don't.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Since you are overflying the runway and not picking up the glideslope, That tells me you are too high. I would suspect that the g1000 has indicators for the glideslope stating whether you are too high, too low or right on. Keep an eye on those!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Since you are overflying the runway and not picking up the glideslope, That tells me you are too high. I would suspect that the g1000 has indicators for the glideslope stating whether you are too high, too low or right on. Keep an eye on those!

Hi. Yes, I too suspect I am too high. Which is why I went to Skyvector.com for the plates to show at what height to be at each fix. Which is what I did when theGarmin gave me the same fix as the Skyvector.com

But still didn't work.

If the zgarmin has indicators I don't know what or where they are.

I suspect there is a step I'm failing to do

Larry, first, thanks for your response and you willingness to assist.

Mostly, though, an apology: I didn't mean VOR ( damn predictive text) at all.

I was referring to the flight plan type , which was a VFR, visual flight rules as opposed to an Instrument flight rules type.

Ok, I did two flights but I'll describe the second, as in the second one, the fix just before the Runway has the same name in the Garmin as in the Skyvector chart.

I flew the default Mooney Bravo FSX aircraft, with Garmin G1000 fitted in cockpit.

I did a FSX flight plan , VFR, from KUCA to KBUF.

When about 20 miles away, flying in GPS , straight to KBUF, I am in what you call GPS mode as opposed to Nav. There is a GPS /NAV button on the ordinary Moony Bravo cockpit, but not in this G1000 cockpit version of the Mooney Bravo.

In this latter version, you change from one to the other using the CDI button ,which is in a row of buttons along the bottom of the left panel of the G1000.

Your query of this leads me to think you are not familiar with this version of the cockpit, the Garmin version. I understand it is not available in all FSX versions. Is that so, that you do not use the Garmin? You see, if it is , I doubt you can help me to " navigate " this Garmin G1000, which is where my limited understanding of it is probably causing my problem.

However, back to the flight. About 20 miles away from Buffalo, using ATC , I ask for a

Full stop landing. I am then told how to approach( left base etc, whatever, ) and which runway to land on

I look up the ILS frequency for that runway and enter it into the Garmin.

I am still, according to the Garmin, heading direct to kbuf.

On the Garmin, I press the Proc button.

I am asked ,do I want to select Approach. ?Press enter.

Press Proc and enter again and I get the list of runways

I select ILS 05 ,press enter ,and then get invited to select a fix. Or select "vectors"

I select vectors.

( next time ,I will experiment and select a fix, "plazz ")

I am invited to load that by pressing enter

It then shows that my approach is plazz, 5 miles away

And then RW05 , another 5 miles away.

I press Proc and then options flash inviting me to press enter to activate 1. vectors-to-final, or activate. 2 Approach.

The Garmin then sends me direct to plazz, telling me how far it is to get there.

I have no info on the Garmin as to what height I should be when I get there.

I feel there is some way to get that info from the Garmin , but I don't know how.

Skyvector tells me 2300.

So I get there at that height.

As I get there, the plane turns to head, at an angle to the runway, to that fix.

It is then that I use the CDI button ( you would hit the GPS/Nav button to select Nav)

I select Navby hitting the CDI button and that starts to turn me to line up with runway.

When lined up I hit the Apr button on the autopilot panel, thinking I should follow the glidepath. - But I don't......

Here's an ILS tutorial on the FSX G1000:

http://easy-fsx.blogspot.com/2010/05/performing-ils-approach.html

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK- "cdl" didn't mean much, CDI I understand, but I couldn't figure out what that "l" (lowercase L) was.

You're right, I haven't flown that G1000. I thought it would be about the same as the Garmin GPS (with which I've done many ILSs), but attempting to go Direct To KBUF, pushing a 'K' displays 2 Ks (KK), adding the 'B' gives me KKBB, etc. so I can't even get an airport name in there. So it will take quite some time to learn that G1000, which I'm not inclined to do at this point, since there are so many other things to do that are more interesting to me, and I'm not using the sim nearly as much as I used to.

So I'm sorry I can't be more help at this point, but hopefully you got a hint or two about certain database differences.

Luck.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks for the link

Here is one paragraph from it. But it isn't what I see . The crossing altitude isn't shown - well, ifvitbis I can't see it😀

Need a regular user of the G1000 with the default FSX planes, methinks.

"Determine crossing altitudes during an approach. Once you load an approach, the flight plan page on the MFD automatically shows the crossing altitude for each waypoint. No fumbling with the terminal approach procedure chart. To set your flightplan display to Wide, and reveal the Crossing Altitudes box, do this: on the MFD, push the FPL hard key on the right; at the bottom, push the soft key marked Display; now push the soft key marked Wide."

Thank you. I think the crux of the problem is like a Mr Zippy says--I'm not at the right height to pick up the glideslope. I pick up the Localiser, and in non- Garmin planes when doing these approaches I don't have a problem if I have the right height( or just below)

Flying ILS under ATC instructions is fine , they tell you what height to be when picking up the Localiser.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect there is something in the Garmin G1000 I'm not implementing to give me the height. It's so sophisticated, you'd expect it to give you the height to be at the fix it's sending you to.

Thanks again

The more I think about it, the more I suspect there is something in the Garmin G1000 I'm not implementing to give me the height. It's so sophisticated, you'd expect it to give you the height to be at the fix it's sending you to.

Thanks again

In the tutorial I linked to above, note the third picture down of the G1000 screen, and the caption above it:

"Use the CDI button to display the the HSI NAV1 (indicating loc1). This button lets you toggle among GPS/NAV1/NAV2. The Nav1 frequency appear in green."

FSX-Approche_ILS_4.jpg

Notice the green diamond to the right of the pitch ladder, next to the altitude tape. THIS is the glideslope indicator and when it's at the the top of it's bar, you're below it as you should be. As you approach the runway at that same altitude, and in autopilot APP mode, the green diamond will move down the bar and when it reaches the centre the autopilot will 'capture' it and follow it down to the runway.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hello Tim, yes I saw that re the green diamond. I have yet to try another approach to see if I get the green diamond. But I wonder if you get that "if and when" the APP button works, or, hopefully, when you get on the Localiser.

My problem is that I can get on the Localiser, but don't seem to capture the glideslope.

We shall see!

Thanks for the assistance

I have yet to try another approach to see if I get the green diamond. But I wonder if you get that "if and when" the APP button works, or, hopefully, when you get on the Localiser.

The green diamond will appear whenever the NAV1 radio is tuned to (and within range of) the ILS frequency for your chosen runway.

The APP button switches the autopilot to approach mode, in which it can respond to any glideslope signal.

if you were stood at the runway end looking towards the landing aircraft, and you could see the glideslope signal,

you would see it rises 300 ft for every NM (Nautical Mile).

Your last fix is 5Nm from the runway.

At 5 Nm the glideslope is at a height of 5 × 300 = 1500 ft

You said you were around 2300 ft at 5 Nm. And then you waited for lineup before engaging Approach.

So when pressin 'App' you were closer then 5Nm, at 2300.

You were above the glideslope when engaging Approach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you were stood at the runway end looking towards the landing aircraft, and you could see the glideslope signal,

you would see it rises 300 ft for every NM (Nautical Mile).

Your last fix is 5Nm from the runway.

At 5 Nm the glideslope is at a height of 5 × 300 = 1500 ft

You said you were around 2300 ft at 5 Nm. And then you waited for lineup before engaging Approach.

So when pressin 'App' you were closer then 5Nm, at 2300.

You were above the glideslope when engaging Approach.

Thank you very much for this . Yes, no wonder I didn't get the glideslope. In all my reading about approaches etc, it is the first time I have come across that (simple,but vital) information.

So, when I know that distance ofvthe fix from the runway, I can determine the height. Great.

And thanks again.

One brief caveat: There are a very few ILSs whose slope is not 3º (should be noted on the approach plate), but usually hitting the APP button a little earlier can still take care of that.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I'm glad I'm an "Old School RW Pilot" satisfied using the old way of doing ILS with a good ole Vor1 head with glide scope. This post of yours had me intrigued to where I looked at the G1000 way of doing it, and I must admit, I don't think I'm smart enough anymore to figure this one out! I will continue the old way of doing it and leave the new technology to others! I wish you well!

OOPS, looks like you finally figured it out! Good Going! Keep doing it over and over until, it's etched in your mind!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

I'm glad I'm an "Old School RW Pilot" satisfied using the old way of doing ILS with a good ole Vor1 head with glide scope. This post of yours had me intrigued to where I looked at the G1000 way of doing it, and I must admit, I don't think I'm smart enough anymore to figure this one out! I will continue the old way of doing it and leave the new technology to others! I wish you well!

OOPS, looks like you finally figured it out! Good Going! Keep doing it over and over until, it's etched in your mind!

Rick :cool:

Thanks Rick, for the good wishes. Yes, I am doing it over and over ( the Mrs ain't too pleased at the concentrated sessions of flying, but I tell her I gotta get it ingrained ������)

Have you had a go at the Garmin 1000. ? Looks daunting but now I''ve got it figured out, it really isn't too hard to learn .

I found it not too easy to learn because a lot of the instructions from people, especially bathe videos on YouTube tend to assume that the learner knows things, and really they don't go "step by step" enough.

What is great though is a forum like this where chaps will so readily help us. I couldn't have done it without them.

I really appreciate it.

Edited by Cas141
Wrong word