How To Videos

lnuss

I'm rather surprised at how little mention there is in these forums about the excellent videos done by "thecorporatepilotdad" about various aspect of flying, the latest being traffic patterns and rectangular patterns. As a former CFI, I've found the subject material well covered, explained and demonstrated, often with special graphics, always by flights in MSFS2020, and (as nearly as I can tell) sometimes difficult to find covered anywhere else.

And given the periodic questions here about certain aspects of flying, I'd think that many who actually care about flying but are not real world pilots would find benefits in these videos. Or maybe many folks are just so engrossed in manipulating FMCs and other panel gadgets that they don't care if they know how to fly. Or perhaps many have found other sources of this information adequate, which might surprise me given how often I've seen information posted here that is factually incorrect.

As one who has done quite a bit of video work, a small amount professionally, I find the attention to detail and the painstaking video creation needed to be so good that it is obvious to me that it is a passion with him.

So I'm curious (perhaps I shouldn't be) whether any folks here are finding them very helpful, or even whether you've noticed them and/or watched them.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks for the tip Larry. I'd never heard of this guy but I know now I've really missed something. Those interested can find him here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTbYtdmGZfqxq0D0lsrYeQ/featured .
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I have limited time to devote to my 'hobby', have looked at a couple of his videos, and yes indeed, they are excellent. There is so much info out there re flight instruction, it can all be a bit overwhelming. But, I suppose that just indicates the passion of such a vast international fraternity, which is a good thing. Thanks lnuss for reminding us of those videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing the theme of how proper training can benefit the simmer, I came across an interesting article on the AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association) website. John Olcott who, among other things, is a long time contributor to the AOPA magazine and is a CFII, wrote this article about "Learning To Land." This quote from the article encompasses the theme of the article:

Landings require all the skills learned from the first lesson onward, starting with observing the position of the aircraft’s nose and wing tips relative to the natural horizon (the “sight picture” we call attitude) and using yoke, rudder, and throttle to master the four fundamentals of level flight, climb, descent, and turns. We learn that engine power primarily determines the aircraft’s ability to climb or descend, and that aircraft attitude primarily determines airspeed at any power setting.

So here's the link to the article: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/october/flight-training-magazine/instructor-report-learning-to-land

Both the AOPA website and the EAA website have quite a bit of information available even to non-members, and can be beneficial places to peruse for those who really like aviation and want to learn more:

https://www.aopa.org/

https://www.eaa.org/eaa

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!