Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASIC Tools for Scenery Editing/Additions

Default BASIC Tools for Scenery Editing/Additions

My objective is to know what Tools I need to make basic Edits to the Default FS9 Scenery, such as moving Coors Field in Denver to a more realistic location closer to the skyscrapers downtown instead of its present location out in the flat, or maybe create a basic Scenery somewhere with a basic cabin and a gravel runway.

Based on recommendations in the other Thread, I have picked up copies of:

SceneGenX
    Airport for Windows 3.0
    ExBuilder 2.0 (with the FSConnect 3.0 module)
    Airport Design Editor (ADE)

Now I presume if I need a Default object like a fence, cabin or dock, I can pull those from the existing RWY12, EZ-Scenery or Nova Textures I already have installed in the Sim.

Can anyone else suggest any other Tools, Tutorials or other Scenery Libraries I need to achieve what I want to do?

Explanations that a somewhat addled mind like mine can handle, please... be kind!

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SceneGenX is a good one to go with. I used it for 15 years and 600 or so airfields and float bases and it does a lot without becoming too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wensley View Post
    SceneGenX is a good one to go with. I used it for 15 years and 600 or so airfields and float bases and it does a lot without becoming too complicated.
    Agreed … SceneGenX very good … I too have used it for several hundred small airfields
    However, "out in the country" SBuilder has a lot going for it if you're not working with photographic scenery, as it allows the creation of the underlying scenery onto which you can build your airfields using SceneGenX (or ADE … I've not used this, but understand it's also very good!)
    Another useful addition can be AFCAD2 … it may seem a little limited, compared to SceneGenX or ADE, but it does have a couple of useful tricks … especially scanning your installation to see if you've got two representations of the same airfield installed
    Have a look around for a copy of EZ-Scenery … remember you'll need a serial number to get it to work, but it's probably the easiest tool to use for accurately positioning features from the various libraries.
    Airport for Windows is possibly superfluous, as SceneGenX can also position "old-style" API obects.
    As for additional libraries, I find the UK VFR Libraries indispensable … well worth digging out if you don't already have them.
    Last edited by chris_eve; 09-13-2022 at 12:51 PM.

urushi,

If you get Coors Field situated in the correct 'location' relative to the rest of Downtown Denver, I would love to have a copy of what you compile. Like you, I always cringe about where the Default scenery put Coors at!

Alan

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

With Instant Scenery and its WYSIWYG interface it's quite easy to install and exclude objects, especially Coors Field, as it's a default object.

Bernard

Unfortunately I don't believe that IS is supported anymore, although you can buy it? It's good enough to use without support, if you're lucky.

But ADE can place your airport objects, but not objects like stadiums far from any airport.
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson_new View Post
    Unfortunately I don't believe that IS is supported anymore, although you can buy it?
    I didn't went head, but it seems still to be available.

Bernard

I bought it last saturday

Haha
    I'd assumed "Coors Field" was an airfield, not a stadium!
    To shift this, you'll need to establish which default scenery file it is stored in and what the GUID for the object is, then simply create a positioning file, putting this GUID at the required location and incorporate an "exclude" to "hide" the original entity.
    Alternatively, edit and re-compile the original scenery file with the new location … remember to keep a backup
    Unfortunately some scenery objects are "location specific" and can't be easily moved, but that's not a scenario I've ever dealt with.

You can place any scenery with ADE, it doesn't have to be an airfield. And you can take a screenshot from Google Earth and use it as a background to place objects accurately. Then just save the compiled scenery with its textures (if necessary) in AddOn Scenery or in its own folder if you add that folder to your scenery.cfg. The background doesn't show in the sim, but there are ways around that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast