Soldiering on with FSX

Currently running an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.6Ghz. 16GB of Ram with a 1TB HDD.

This has generally served me well for the past 4 years but I’m looking to update things a bit as I find the many add ins I’m now using, specifically ORBX scenery is choking things a bit, especially in heavily built up areas.

Where do I go from here? A new graphics card, such as the Nvidia GTX or RTX range, but is there any point if the processor isn’t up to it?

Would love some thoughts on this.

FSX is one of those "games" where Processor is the thing. In fact, it doesn't even benefit from multicor processors as other programmes do.

It isn't much point getting better graphics cards if the processor is the limiting factor.

I run FSX on an old machine.

Two things you may want to look at, ( carefully)������

One is Overclocking.

The other is reducing other processes running at the same time. .im sure Google may help here.

It isn't an easy thing to find a solution nowadays as things have moved on flight sim wise, but I suspect like me you have a lot invested in FSX to justify abandoning it for the new sim and computer.

I've even thought of buying a new computer with much faster processor, but not sure if I could do that and just put in my existing hard drive to be run by it?

I am running windows XP at the moment on my gaming machine ( FSX and Falcon 4 etc). This is not connected to the internet.

If I had built a fast computer, could the hard drive from my existing computer just be slotted into the new one and run?

I suspect not, but don't know why not?������

Comments appreciated!

Does anyone know if that is feasible?.

Edited by Cas141

Hi Cas141

As long as your new motherboard has a sata connection(assuming your drive is Sata) then it will work no problems. Even if you have the old connection IDE or PATA you could buy a PCIe card with the IDE connection on it and run it off that. Think though a PCIe card might limit the read speed but I may be wrong there.

I have done this a few times but the mobo connections were IDE. However it will work with SATA as well.

You might get XP telling you your windows is invalid as you will have changed lots of things. You'll just have to vist Microsoft to revalidate.

Hope this helps.

Currently running an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.6Ghz. 16GB of Ram with a 1TB HDD.

This has generally served me well for the past 4 years but I’m looking to update things a bit as I find the many add ins I’m now using, specifically ORBX scenery is choking things a bit, especially in heavily built up areas.

Where do I go from here? A new graphics card, such as the Nvidia GTX or RTX range, but is there any point if the processor isn’t up to it?

Would love some thoughts on this.

Hello. I have the same 16gb memory, 1Tb HDD, and the AMD Ryzen 3 processor only mine is the 2200G. I have no experience with ORBX scenery however with my new CPU upgrade, FSX was no challenge for the pc so I decided to try the Xplane demo. It basically told me that I would be much better off with a graphics card. I suspect there is a bottleneck in your system not letting it draw the ORBX scenery. I bought a RTX 580 8GB card and jumped to MSFS thinking I'll probably will have to upgrade the CPU. I hear the 8GB on a video card is the sweet spot. I can run MSFS with no problems except some slight studdering flying low near rivers and in populated areas. But I guess that is to be expected with a low end CPU. Otherwise the sim looks and flies amazing to my complete surprise. I'm guessing you may benefit from a video card in that range for ORBX scenery. That may eliminate the bottleneck.

Texture loading will go much faster from SSD then from Mech-Hdd.

Ssd has no moving parts, and has way higher data transfer rate.

If you have an old mech drive as C and fsx drive,

Save the whole HDD drive, all partition info+data+bootdrive into one system-inage file.

Store the image file on a ExternalHDD

Unplug power cord.

Open pc.

Unplug HDD (power+data)

Plug in SSD. (pwr+data)

Boot pc with bootstick that contains the imaging program.

Use imaging program from bootstick to restore your system image to the SSD.

Easyest if SSD is same size as HDD, or bigger then HDD.

System inaging prograns are available a freeware and open source.

Payware programs like Acronis are often given as freebee with a new disk.

(So free licence code included with new Ssd or Hdd.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]