Windows 10 USB port on front of tower is dead

REDDAIR

Hello,

For awhile now, I have noticed a problem with a USB port on the front of my tower case. There are 3 ports and one is a 3.0 (Blue). The other 2 are the typical USB "A" I think. They have the Black appearance. After looking into this, I checked my Device Manager and determined one "A" has vanished and this is the one affected!! See Screenshot. My Mrs. has the same identical PC (With Windows 10) and her Device Manager lists the 3. After all the headaches I have incurred with Microsoft Updates, I am ready to blame them, but cannot really be sure. I have an MSI Motherboard but presume this is a Software Issue since Device Manager lacks the entry. Internet searches aim in the direction of reloading the driver, etc.. but how? There is no item to install it to? I do not know where to go on this one... The port does function as a charger for my phone which proves it still has power to it, but it does not respond to any accessory plugged into it (Data transfer dead). I opened the case and checked connections for this to the motherboard. No Change. Anyone know how to deal with this? Thanks...

R

Image009.jpg

You can try

sfc /scannow

from an Admin command prompt.

(

click Start

type: cmd

you'll see "cmd.exe" show up in the list.

right-click: cmd.exe

click: 'run as administrator'

The command pronpt will open with admin priviledges.

type:

sfc /scannow

and press enter.

let the scan finish and let it fix what it can.

If the scan fixes things but says it could not fix everything...

..reboot the pc.

Then run the scan again as Admin.

)

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Try the following to see if it shows the missing item....

1. Check to see if the item has been accidently hidden from the list -

A. Open Device Manager.

B. Select View > Show Hidden Devices

2. Run a check for hardware changes -

A. Open Device Manager.

B. Select Action > Scan for Hardware changes

Regards

Brian

For the sake of testing, you could create a bootable USB thumb drive, say Ubuntu Linux. Insert it in your problem USB port and see if you can boot from it or not, see if it functions as it should when running something other than that copy of Windows. If it fails to boot from the problematic USB port, try booting the thumb drive from one of the other ports, too. In the past I've had to remove all the USB controllers from Windows and let them reinstall after a reboot when things went haywire on some older Dell pc's, sometimes that set things right again.

No surprise that the Scannow process didn't work...

As Luke pointed out in post #4 it wouldn't..the scannow is not designed to find/fix such faults/issues...it is designed to scan all protected system files and replace any corrupted/missing files with a cached copy stored on the PC or, if an internet connection is available at the time of the scan, from the internet...it MAY have been beneficial if you had NO working USB ports as that could have been related to corrupted/missing drivers...but clearly as you had some working USB ports (they all use the same driver) this wasn't the case.....

WRT the Legacy option - this again would not resolve the issue as the option is designed to add OLD devices (normally external items) that are not supported by modern era plug and play systems..

As you don't make it clear in your post have you tried the options I suggested in post #6....

Regards

Brian