MS Fltism newbie, sort of

Greetings all,

Played every version of MS Fltsim from v1.0 all the way through to FSX. Built scenery etc. and was a total devotee until MS closed the Aces studio. Gave it up, sold the MS Force Feedback joystick and drew a line under Fltsims.

Now it seems things have restarted with MS Fltsim 2020 and I am considering having another go since I now have a PC that will run it.

Some questions:

1. It looks wonderful - is it really that good?

2. Need a joystick, are there any force feedback joysticks for FS 2020?

3. How much do I actually need a FF joystick? The MS sidewinder was OK but not great and it needed a software wedge to make it work.

4. If not a FF joystick what's a good alternative?

Thanks for any advice,

Geoff

Greetings all,

Played every version of MS Fltsim from v1.0 all the way through to FSX. Built scenery etc. and was a total devotee until MS closed the Aces studio. Gave it up, sold the MS Force Feedback joystick and drew a line under Fltsims.

Now it seems things have restarted with MS Fltsim 2020 and I am considering having another go since I now have a PC that will run it.

Some questions:

3. How much do I actually need a FF joystick? The MS sidewinder was OK but not great and it needed a software wedge to make it work.

Thanks for any advice,

Geoff

Welcome back! To answer your questions-

1. It looks wonderful - is it really that good?-Visually it is stunning! I will say this, it is unlike any of the other flight sims you have tried. Many have stated (in various postings) In FSX (using it as an example), you could do this and that. Well, this is MSFS and unfortunately, you can't do everything you could in FSX (or others). That being said, the visuals are fantastic! I can fly over my house in Jacksonville and see my old red truck parked in the driveway. Granted that was 5-6 years ago, but being able to do that to me is cool!

2. Need a joystick, are there any force feedback joysticks for FS 2020?-Not sure

3. How much do I actually need a FF joystick? The MS sidewinder was OK but not great and it needed a software wedge to make it work.-No you don't. I use the Logitech Extreme 3d PRO, no extra software n

4. If not a FF joystick what's a good alternative? Logitech Extreme 3d PRO works for me.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Greetings all,

Some questions:

Thanks for any advice,

Geoff

Great name, just a different spelling

1 Yes, it really is that good. No complaints at all from me. I gave up after FS9 as my old pc could not run FSX at all. With that being said, from 1500ft, it looks great, but getting down in some areas, the textures bleed and it looks like buildings are melting. Flying into airports, you do not notice it. Its only when flying really low and in a city setting.

2 I had the MS Sidewinder 2 FFB joystick. It worked but mapping the controls was a PITA. It does work though

3 and 4 I prefer the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, plus Logitch Rudder Pedals and Throttle quadrant. I fly the Boeings, plus Cessnas and all add a great sense of realisim. I bought a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro for flying fighters and the Airbus. It is not FFB but I have zero issues with it. Works exactly like I want it to and I would buy again. I just can't justify buying the Thrustmaster Aribus Joystick and throttle controls just to fly the airbus. Hell, sometimes I go rogue and fly the airbus with the yoke.

All in all, I have had it since it came out just about 2 years ago. I have over 1000 hours of flying and couldnt be happier. It is only going to get better, especially those of us with the Nvidia cards that support Ray tracing. DLSS is coming really soon and it will really make this thing smoother. There are some great folks on YouTube helping people with micro-stutters and increasing frame rates. Make sure to check them out.

Good luck and see you in the virtual air.

Jeff

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

• 2 weeks later...
Great name, just a different spelling

1 Yes, it really is that good. No complaints at all from me. I gave up after FS9 as my old pc could not run FSX at all. With that being said, from 1500ft, it looks great, but getting down in some areas, the textures bleed and it looks like buildings are melting. Flying into airports, you do not notice it. Its only when flying really low and in a city setting.

Just to point out that the "melting" of buildings near the ground is seen only in photogrammetry areas, which are all urban. Turn off photogrammetry, and there is no melting at all.

Just to point out that the "melting" of buildings near the ground is seen only in photogrammetry areas, which are all urban. Turn off photogrammetry, and there is no melting at all.

Im ok with the melting because with photogrammerty off, it looks like FS9.

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

I got it from day 1 through X-Box 'Game-pass' 1 month for around $ 4,00. First download took me

120 hrs through my 1,0 GB Cable, average 40 kb a second. Installed it on my : H110m, I5 6700K, GTX1050TI, 1 X 16GB on my overcrowded, overfragmented 1TB HDD. No room for periph's so only KB and mouse. It flew with low to medium settings, in fact it flew about the same as my FSX Gold. One thing that I still cannot believe that I have never had a CTD , I only flew C152 over rural areas. It would stutter or pause over dense areas but I have never had to recover from a CTD. New rig now but still saving for a 3060TI GPU............

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

As you can see in my signature, I don't have a super powerful computer; however, MSFS runs well on this system with most graphics on the high setting. I'm extremely happy with the simulator. I fly a mix of GA and airliners. Had a few glitches but overall it is great. You'll love the scenery. I use my old CH products pedals, a Honeycomb Alpha controller, a Saitek throttle quadrant, and a Flight velocity trim wheel. I have some old Go Flight panels which I'v adapted to MSFS with the Poly Pot software. Edited by opcartmell
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GIGABYTE AMD Radeon 5700XT, 32mb DDR4 RAM @ 3600 mbs, Asrock X570 motherboard